PDA

View Full Version : recently started feeling anxiety

Chris85
04-30-2007, 03:58 AM
Hi, im a 20 year old student and up until recently i have never suffered from anxiety before. I have been under a lot of strain recently with my studies and last week while at college had a panic attack in the college library which as a concequence had to leave (i realise now thats not what i should have done but it scared me!) after leaving i felt better but was worried about why it happened. Ever since then i have been anxious and the following friday while at home i had such bad anxiety i couldn't sleep control my breathing and was sick with worry. I was scared i was going crazy and was wondering what was happening to me. I went to see my GP last monday and he prescribed me diazepam and anti-depressents. The thing is i don't feel depressed apart from the fact i'm down about this blasted anxiety. The diazepam have helped a lot but i don't want to be taking them for long as they are addictive i'm worried theres something wrong with me. last week i went out with a friend and felt fine no anxiety but as soon as i get home i feel anxious again. the anxiety seems worse in the morning and then get better through the day. i have lost my appetite im still eating reasonably well but not like i did before this stuff happened. I fully sympathise with you folks who also suffer this it is terrible i have never felt so bad in my life when i got the attack last friday. I have got another appointment with my GP in 2 weeks time.

Thanks for listening :) ,
Chris.

JimmyB
04-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Yea anxiety can hit hard at times. Your gonna be ok its just a way of thinking that can cause all kinds of problems. The reason is because you are worried about your college work and its normal for us to worry although sometimes the thoughts can get out of control and cause panic or anxiety. The reason they prescribed antidepressants is, if you think about it - are you happy with the strain of college work? No, so the anti-depressants will help keep your mood stable and thus keep you calm also:

Unhappy = Worry
Worry = Unhappy

Theres a very fine line between the 2. The docs are probably just trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.