PDA

View Full Version : Having A Bad Night - Flu Shot?

sunnythinks
12-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Hi, everyone. So I should be working on a final exam paper due tomorrow, but I'm hoping this vent will help me enough to concentrate on my assignment.

I got a flu shot today after hearing that this season is off to a bad start. However, a few things freaked me out that I can't get out of my head. For one, I had to sign a waiver stating that I "consented" to the vaccine. It made me very, very nervous! After I got the shot, I waited fifteen minutes for signs of an adverse reaction, then went my merry way.

Thing is, paranoid person I am, I started reading about potential side-effects of the vaccine, and one of them was Guillain–Barré syndrome, a kind of paralysis that was linked to flu vaccines at one point. I started to get really freaked out about it, and now I can't stop thinking about it. I understand it's relatively rare, but what if it happens to me? I need some reassurance here. :( I'm really getting freaked out! The nurse attending me said she was fine after she recieved the shot, but what if I'm not? ): Ahhhhhhh!

almighty1080
12-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I always get flu shots at work since they are free! :D. Don't worry, im still alive hehe. You'll be fine, the most common symptom is a sore arm.

sunnythinks
12-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I noticed my arm was really sore for a few hours! It seems to have gone back some now, but, gosh, that little needle packs a punch. :D I guess I just work myself up over it. I've never had a flu vaccine before, so I wasn't sure what to expect! I assume that since a LOT of people receive them, it can't be that bad, but I read so much about how there's nothing but toxins in the vaccine and about all the horrible side effects it could cause and I wasn't sure what to believe! :eek::eek::eek:

SunnieDebris
12-04-2012, 09:33 PM
I used to be in the medical field, and I've only ever seen 1 person who had Guillian-Barre. It's extremely rare. You're just fine. And good for you for taking care of yourself, even though it was an unpleasant experience.

kasiejuhnay
12-04-2012, 11:27 PM
I did that when I got my first flu shot. They asked if I was allergic to eggs...I said no...took the shot and waited 15 minutes. During the 15 minutes the anxiety kicked in and my mind started racing "what if I am allergic to eggs?". I had a panic attack before I left the pharmacy! Our minds play big tricks on us...especially when something harmful can be a side effect. I'm fine, and you will be too. Try not to stress :)

fiendwithoutaface
12-04-2012, 11:47 PM
The day I got mine was pretty rough on me. I felt feverish and just not up to par. You'll be fine though, might take a few days!

sunnythinks
12-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Thanks for your responses, everyone. I guess I got scared because it's my first time taking this vaccine, and I didn't know what to expect.

Like I said, there is so much information regarding this shot that I wasn't sure what to believe. It seemed that most everyone talking about it either got sick and said it was because of the shot, or knew someone or of someone that had these horrible side effects.

But the way I see it was, if it's really that bad, why are they giving it to everyone? Thank you all so much for your input, I managed to get to the last page of my essay before falling asleep. I feel so much better. :)

dazza
12-05-2012, 05:02 AM
1 in 100,000 annually gets Guillain Barre. RARE!

Even so, most recover completely with treatment.

ANNDDDddd rest...

sunnythinks
12-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I read the odds, but I thought, "What if I'm the 1 in 100,000?"

I think I'm going to stop googling vaccine side effects...

dazza
12-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Yeah, I read the odds, but I thought, "What if I'm the 1 in 100,000?"

I think I'm going to stop googling vaccine side effects...

Good call. Don't google ANYTHING except lottery results and semi-nude pictures of your favourite celebrity.

sunnythinks
12-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Hahaha, thanks, Dazza! I'll keep that in mind! :D