PDA

View Full Version : do i actually have anxiety? new here, hopefully will get better soon

route19er
12-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Hello:

I have been through a heck of a stressful year and have never felt so bad in my whole life. This all started back in the late summer of 2011 when after a great vacation I was informed that my workplace was going to be closed and I had about 2 -3 weeks left. Shortly after this I started feeling ill and had my first ever panic attack. Pains in my head and body, shaking, emotions up and down and I thought I was going to die. After a few weeks these feelings went away after I went through all the blood tests, brain scan (MRI) etc and the doctors could not find anything wrong and just attributed it to stress. My place of work reopened in September of 2012 and I am back working but now doing shift work 12hr - 2 day, 2night then 4 off. Not long after this I started experiencing the following symptoms:

1. Tremors, Twitching or Tingling in Left Leg
2. Sometimes may spread to upper left side of the body including arms and face
3. Twitching can be either side of the body including chest, eyelids etc.
4. Tingling throughout body and in head.
5. Headaches – Either mild to dull or can be ice-pick headaches
6. General feeling of being jittery or mild tremors like just feeling a chill but not cold.
7. Diarrhea
8. Dizziness or light headed feeling
9. Nausea
10. Insomnia caused by the previous symptoms

These are basically in the order of relevance and how much they bother me. I went to two doctors. The first doctor prescribed me Trazodone 50mg to help me sleep, and the second doctor (2nd opinion) prescribed me APO-Bromazepam 3mg. I never took either yet. I informed the 2nd doctor that I had already seen a doctor who prescribed the Trazodone and he said that that would not have been his first choice. What should I do? These feelings come and go and I actually have been able to get myself to sleep but my jittery twitching legs are driving me crazy and worry me. Please give me some advice. I am going for more blood work tomorrow so I am holding off on taking the pills. Also the pharmacist seemed a little ticked off that I was getting another medication and was worried about me taking the Bromazepam.

Anthony McManus
12-04-2012, 07:52 PM
All these symptoms can be related to anxiety. I myself have experienced many of the same symptoms to varying degrees of severity. However, there are some physical ailments that can bring on anxiety. Whatever the outcome of your tests, though, remember anxiety is anxiety -- if you feel it, it is so regardless of whether the cause is mental or physical.

route19er
12-05-2012, 10:44 AM
What about the meds? Should I try them? Feeling somewhat better today but I had a horrible night. Rhythmic beating or pulsating going through my body. Made it hard to sleep but I managed to calm myself down and felt great in the morning. Some people have told me to get more exercise and some running. Does this help? I went on my exercise bike this afternoon felt good.

SunnieDebris
12-05-2012, 03:05 PM
I would suggest that you be open to the possibility that meds may help. Remember, your doctor is your ally, there to help you. I take 2 psych meds daily, and I can always tell when I miss a dose or two. I literally start to fall apart. It makes a huge difference in my life.

route19er
12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
I am afraid to become dependant on them. I feel like I am new to these intense anxiety feelings. I think I may have always had some anxiety but lately it's over the top. Only a few short months ago I felt normal and I am scared I will never get back there again. Can this be fought naturally? If I feel bad tonight I am thinking of taking the Trazodone.

SunnieDebris
12-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Different people experience different levels of relief. This is true both with prescriptions and natural remedies, like St. John's wart. I don't do herbal myself, but if you're interested, you could start a threat asking about herbal remedies. Just be ready for some controversy, as this causes some to swear by the results, and others to state that the herbal stuff doesn't work. There might also be a sticky somewhere with this info. Or, there's always Google.

As for becoming dependent, I don't see me going off the pills anytime soon, but I'm ok with that. Whatever keeps me sane, I'm willing to do.

alankay
12-07-2012, 08:14 PM
I would lean toward trazodone for sleep/anxiety issues first. Start there. Then the benzo. I think you are having anxiety. Try the TCA first. Alankay

route19er
12-10-2012, 03:00 PM
My blood work came back and my thyroid levels are high. I have been on the same prescription for years but I guess it is too high. My doctor said that this can lead to symptoms of anxiety. I really hope this is the answer. Thanks for everyone's help. These feelings are horrible.

SunnieDebris
12-10-2012, 03:27 PM
An over active thyroid can make you feel anxious, tired, and stressed. Perhaps you have found the key to your anxiety. I hope so, because that can be fixed with a pill.

alankay
12-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah, that could do it. Alankay