PDA

View Full Version : Just need opinions/help

justconfused
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I'm a 19 year old male. I know I have a long future ahead of me and everyone reminds me of that, but in my head I'm always telling myself "of course they will tell you that, they are your loved ones." I've always been cautious about things and got a little more nervous than it seemed like the people around me did over certain things. But never did I go through what I am now. I was care free through high school, then after I got out of school it hit me. About 5 months ago it started and I haven't been able to be normal since. I was at work after graduating a few months prior, I began shaking and having chest pain. I looked for a supervisor and clocked out to sit in the break room and cry my eyes out and I had no idea why or what overtook me. I have since quit the job for about 3 months have been at home and ever since the initial "attack" even when I am not having one this feeling won't go away. It's impossible to describe to people. I've been to the doctor twice and had numerous blood tests and an EKG which all came back perfect. Hoping that would help, but I'm always second guessing. I have made the people around me angry from the constant asking for reassurance that I'm ok. I don't enjoy things I used to as much, because my head is never there. I get tingly in places, tremble bad, night time is horrible. Sometimes I lay there for hours and freak out in my head. Cry for no reason. The worst part is I have this horrible fear of dying. I can't get away from it. It's not like a phobia that you can just stay away from. I have no idea why, but everytime I think about the future it seems like I won't make it to that point, then I tell myself "well you said that last time and look at you now" but it never seems to help. Also, it doesn't help that I'm a horrible hypochondriac.

alankay
12-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Though you mention one attack in particular, this all sounds like GAD primarily(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_anxiety_disorder).
GAD suffers can have some anxiety attacks/panic attacks but their anxiety doesn't seem to be centered around events/places/situations in particular. Health concerns are a cornerstone of sorts for many anxiety suffers.
If you truly had a great or "normal" childhood/upbringing I'd see a psychiatrist. If you've had a more difficult child/upbringing, see a therapist first would be good. Anxiety commonly/often manifests itself with more significant symptoms at your age(entering or in young adulthood). Just the way it often works out as you move forward in life.
In addition to CBT, psychotherapy, an SSRI a course of a long acting benzo might be helpful but I leave that to a doc preferably a psychiatrist who will get to talk with you much more. You are having anxiety and there is help out there. PM me any time. Alankay

justconfused
12-03-2012, 07:26 PM
It appears that GAD is correct. I do experience attacks, but they generally are more the crying depressed type. I don't even know why. It just overwhelms me with this feeling that I don't have a future to look forward to. After the last time I went to the doctor I got some relief and thought I might be on the right track to beating it, but after about a week I found myself back where I started. Usually around 6-10'ish p.m is when it is at its worst. I just feel like I don't know what to do. When normal people are home from work and it is time to relax, I just find the relaxation time as I don't know what to do with the time. I wake up drained feeling, because I spend the nights just horribly.

SunnieDebris
12-03-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm sorry that you are going through such a tough time. Generalized Anxiety Disorder is so difficult to deal with because you never know what might trigger an attack. The good news is that this started recently, and that you don't have years of bad habits to unlearn. My suggestion would be to get into therapy ASAP, if you are able. I would also suggest you start practicing a 5-10 minute relaxation exercise daily (you can find a ton on YouTube). Journaling your thoughts and feelings may also be beneficial.

stjlynn
12-04-2012, 06:58 AM
This is what I have and it SUCKS!! I to use to be carefree and not I'm constantly worrying!! I lay in be at night I feel like I can't breathe.. I usually have to take kpins so I just pass out its nearly impossible to distract myself.. My best part of the day is when I first wake up because so a few mins I'm calm and my hea isn't driving me crazy with racing thoughts:(

Amr
12-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Hello am 18 male and i swear you remind me of myself EXACTLY ! i cry alot and seem Hopeless and i have Immense fear of death especially at the night i always say i will never make it before i graduate or before i travel or stuff like that.

Manpie
12-04-2012, 08:59 AM
I really feel for you pal, I'm the same. You're not the only one out there that feels this way.

SunnieDebris
12-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi there! Distraction is one good way to deal with anxiety, and I'm glad it works for you sometimes. In Dialectical Bevaioral Therapy (DBT), there are a bunch of other skills you can learn for Distress Tollerance (distraction is one of these skills), Emotional Regulation, Interpersonal Effectiveness, and Mindfulness. You can find stuff online, if you're interested. The one thing I practice daily is a 5 minute breathing exercise, to help calm me down. Once I learned to do this, I could use it to help me calm down in stressful situations. You can find a bunch of breathing exercises on YouTube. I also suggest journaling your thoughts and feelings to try to get them out of your head and on paper. Sometimes that simple act will free your subconscious mind from all those anxiety producing alert signals. I hope this is helpful.