PDA

View Full Version : Just needed to put this out there

rcohn20
12-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I stayed home from work today...4th week on this new job which has given me horrible anxiety.
I woke up gagging and nauceous...I know people tell me to leave-that it's not worth my health...there are just so many other factors I need to consider-monetary and emotional before I make a decision like that.
I know I'm not the first person to start a new job that wasn't a good fit-but the thought of it all can give me a nervous breakdown.

MillieH
12-03-2012, 11:58 AM
I know we're not living in the best economy these days, but you don't want to stay somewhere that's going to negatively effect your health. I've been playing the "I'm gonna hold out for something better" card for 10 years, I would not reccomend it. Of course consider all possibilities, don't rush, and remember to ask for help. Hope things turn around for you.

vanessac
12-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Agreed, I know it's easy for us to say, but your Health come first! And if your job is making you feel this way you should consider leaving x

12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
What kind of job is it?

SunnieDebris
12-03-2012, 03:32 PM
I stayed home from work today...4th week on this new job which has given me horrible anxiety.
I woke up gagging and nauceous...I know people tell me to leave-that it's not worth my health...there are just so many other factors I need to consider-monetary and emotional before I make a decision like that.
I know I'm not the first person to start a new job that wasn't a good fit-but the thought of it all can give me a nervous breakdown.

Do you have health benefits? If you do, you should see your doctor and share your concerns. He/she may suggest some medication that could help. If you are able, you should also speak with a therapist. They are there as your allies. You could also try a 5-10 minute relaxation exercise (you can find a ton on YouTube). I also suggest journaling your thoughts and feelings. Sometimes it helps to get them out.

dazza
12-03-2012, 04:17 PM
My advice... don't take on a stressful job when you already have anxiety issues. It just won't work.

I'd much rather be poor but mentally stable than rich and a quivvering wreck. It's a no-brainer really.

We all have our stress limits - maybe yours has been exceeded with this particular job?

jfletch
12-03-2012, 06:59 PM
I am in the exact same position as you. I stayed home from work today as well . My job has been giving me anxiety and panic attacks. I have health benefits, retirement, the pay is great and I have every other Friday off. I am just not sure if it is a good fit for me either. And the thought of looking for another job or staying at my current job gives me even more anxiety. I feel stuck and it is driving me crazy too.

rcohn20
12-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Agreed, I know it's easy for us to say, but your Health come first! And if your job is making you feel this way you should consider leaving x

Thank you! Last night I went over the edge and fully broke down-my family stepped in and I'm now leaving the job to focus on getting healthy. I haven't been eating for 3 weeks cuz the anxiety killed my appetite...it all spiraled from there. I'm really lucky to have their support but really angry that a job put me to this point. I plan on getting mentally and physically healthier and will definitely get a new job as soon as I'm strong again.

rcohn20
12-04-2012, 09:34 AM
I am in the exact same position as you. I stayed home from work today as well . My job has been giving me anxiety and panic attacks. I have health benefits, retirement, the pay is great and I have every other Friday off. I am just not sure if it is a good fit for me either. And the thought of looking for another job or staying at my current job gives me even more anxiety. I feel stuck and it is driving me crazy too.

I understand completely! Lastnight was my breaking point and I decided that I need to leave my job and focus on getting healthy again...I stopped eating for 3 weeks-no appetite and it spiraled from there. I'm already thinking of new positions to apply to and what I need to avoid in the next company! But honestly this took a terrible toll.

rcohn20
12-04-2012, 09:38 AM
My advice... don't take on a stressful job when you already have anxiety issues. It just won't work.

I'd much rather be poor but mentally stable than rich and a quivvering wreck. It's a no-brainer really.

We all have our stress limits - maybe yours has been exceeded with this particular job?

You're totally right! I decided to leave the job and focus on getting healthy. I also realize what I need to avoid in the next organization I work for. The anxiety killed my appetite and I stopped eating for 3 weeks-I've really hurt myself and now my family has me under their care. I don't want this to ever happen again. Everyone just wants me to get strong again...just angry that a job did this. I take my career seriously but this was not a good fit.

rcohn20
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
I know we're not living in the best economy these days, but you don't want to stay somewhere that's going to negatively effect your health. I've been playing the "I'm gonna hold out for something better" card for 10 years, I would not reccomend it. Of course consider all possibilities, don't rush, and remember to ask for help. Hope things turn around for you.

Thank you...and last night was my breaking point where I decided to leave after the toll it has taken on my health. Makes me angry a job did this but I have to believe everything happens for a reason and something better will come. I'm smart and educated and have a great résumé...sooner or later ill get back to where I need to be...I really hope.

vanessac
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Well done you, just concentrate on getting your health back and then you can think about work x

jessed03
12-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Thank you...and last night was my breaking point where I decided to leave after the toll it has taken on my health.

For what it's worth, this sounds like a good decision.

Somebody I respect very much, told me "Whatever you put before recovery, you'll probably end up losing", and sadly I found this very true. I put jobs, travel, relationships ahead of getting healthy, and in the end, I was left with very little. So I just focused on getting **** together. No excuses, no delaying. Anxiety was a big problem for me, affecting my health and my joy. I didn't like the idea of a year or five out, but in the end, I think you end up in the same place. Whether you spend 5 years going slowly, or recover and spend a year going really quickly, I think you'll end up in the same place.

Build yourself up, let some of that stress go, and tackle your career again from a different place. You'll new learn ways of dealing with and releasing stress. I've seen people do great things, don't get disheartened, you may not be able to do it now, but you may completely nail it in the future with a differently wired mind.

You already realize this, I just wanted to re-empasize it for when those doubts come in. On a side note, are you Irish? You just remind me of someone, thats all :P

MillieH
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Glad to hear you're on the up. Believe me, I know from job stress, 10 years in retail is an axiety nitemare. This year was my breaking point, I'm still working, but I finally went back to college. Sounds like you have good qualities, hope you find something better. Wishing the best for you :)

rcohn20
12-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Glad to hear you're on the up. Believe me, I know from job stress, 10 years in retail is an axiety nitemare. This year was my breaking point, I'm still working, but I finally went back to college. Sounds like you have good qualities, hope you find something better. Wishing the best for you :)

Thank you so much for your support...I'm still struggling...but I know getting healthy first is critical if I want to be successful in anything I take on in this life. I'm just sad that a job out me over the edge...I've had worse happen in my life but I guess this too had an intense impact.

rcohn20
12-04-2012, 01:22 PM
For what it's worth, this sounds like a good decision.

Somebody I respect very much, told me "Whatever you put before recovery, you'll probably end up losing", and sadly I found this very true. I put jobs, travel, relationships ahead of getting healthy, and in the end, I was left with very little. So I just focused on getting **** together. No excuses, no delaying. Anxiety was a big problem for me, affecting my health and my joy. I didn't like the idea of a year or five out, but in the end, I think you end up in the same place. Whether you spend 5 years going slowly, or recover and spend a year going really quickly, I think you'll end up in the same place.

Build yourself up, let some of that stress go, and tackle your career again from a different place. You'll new learn ways of dealing with and releasing stress. I've seen people do great things, don't get disheartened, you may not be able to do it now, but you may completely nail it in the future with a differently wired mind.

You already realize this, I just wanted to re-empasize it for when those doubts come in. On a side note, are you Irish? You just remind me of someone, thats all :P

This was amazing to read! Thank you so much for your kind words of incredible support! I needed to see that and greatly appreciate it! Ill be sure to refer back to what you said in my weak moments. I just want to take this time to get strong again otherwise I'm no good for anyone or anything!

jfletch
12-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Congrats ! So happy you made this decision. I also believe it is the right one. Good luck with everything and keep us all updated on your progress :)

rcohn20
12-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Congrats ! So happy you made this decision. I also believe it is the right one. Good luck with everything and keep us all updated on your progress :)

Thank you so much-I really appreciate your support! I will definitely keep everyone updated. As of now were trying to design an out patient program so that I can be comfortable and stay at home as opposed to a facility. My main goal is to prevent an episode like this from happening again!

rcohn20
12-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Well done you, just concentrate on getting your health back and then you can think about work x

Thank you so much...it's been rough the last few days...I'm so depressed but I know I need to just focus on getting better...feel like my life is unraveling but I'm trying to think of it as building myself up again.