PDA

View Full Version : Waking up in the middle of the night

jazzmynn
04-27-2007, 10:43 AM
What helps with waking up in the middle of the night?
Have you had this?

mabbie
04-27-2007, 07:08 PM
If I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep because my mind is racing, I will try to meditate or pray to bring my mind back to a calm state.

But probably more importantly for me is to take some steps before bedtime to reduce the chance I will wake up. I work with a naturopath who recommends I have a protein snack right before bedtime (just an ounce of protein) as that keeps the blood sugar more level and makes me less apt to wake up. I also take a calcium/magnesium supplement at bedtime which helps with relaxation.

Samantha
05-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Jazzmynn,
In addition to what mabbie said, which is exactly what my naturopath told me to do (I eat a tablespoon of almond butter or tiny piece of chicken) I don't know how I would have made it this far without my Ipod. I listen to everything... meditation, sleep hypnosis, boring podcasts, fun podcasts... Since I'm awake anyway at least it lets me focus on something other than the fact that I can't fall asleep. If I'm awake for a long time and feel "weird" I'll get up and get a glass of water and a little bit more almond butter. I'm now getting to the point where I sleep well one night, don't sleep so well the next. Hopefully it will ease into where I sleep every night.
Oh.. and I try and walk at least 3 miles a day.
Samantha