PDA

View Full Version : I create profiles/characters/ideas of people I should be - Any help, advice?

nabooson
11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi,

Can anyone help?

I believe I have had this issue for about a year now, I'm not really sure why it came on and what lead me to be like this all I know is it eats me up every day and can take up a big part of my day.

I have a real struggle with 'who I am' I sort of always think I don't know who I am not because I don't know what I like or what I'm into but because I am interested in pretty much everything! I like all music, all films, I like sports from running to BMX, I like up to date fashion I like 60s mod fashion, the list goes on. But for some reason I have turned what seems to be a positive into a negative. I create ideas or the person I'd like to be but they are very set, one day I will decide I will look this way, listen to this music and do these things and try and deny liking anything else, the next I say I'll be something different. I look at things I like and think to myself well someone who does that wouldn't be into that. It's really daft but I don't know how to get out of this ridiculous circle. Over time it has led to me getting myself in a small amount of debt as I have continuously changed my appearance and bought clothes to suit my profile at the time and bought things that I believe I should be interested if I were to be that kind of person. I also end up looking at others and thinking, I'll be like them and end up copying people for a day or two until I pick the next profile for myself.

Does anyone have any experience of this and how to go about changing it? I have seen a doctor and when I explained they just looked at me blankly and were no help.

Thanks