PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety coupled with something physical?

jlong007
11-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Quick questions,

Do you guys think that you can have just anxiety and panic disorder by itself or do you think that there might be some underlying medical condition that causes panic
And anxiety disorder?

natuhhleee
11-29-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm no doctor, but neither is google! Don't scare yourself!

See, if when your busy and not focused on your anxiety, do the physical symptoms still bother you? Or does pain arrive only when you feel anxious? That's somewhat of a difference to know if its medical or not. But to be safe, have a physical. Bug your doctors, that's what they are there for, to make sure you are healthy.

dazza
11-29-2012, 03:02 AM
Not so black and white i'm affraid.

An initial symptom MAY be anxiety but also maybe something physical... not necessarily serious, but physical none-the-less.

The person panics. They panic so bad that they develop anxiety disorder.

Now what happens? well, anxiety pains and symptoms ensue. The person becomes so occupied with their panic / fear / anxiety that the original physical issue is forgotten or blamed on anxiety... and so the underlying physical issue may be there for months or even years.

It is vital that we treat our anxiety, but also keep an eye on what also could be a real physical issue. Both can easily be mistaken for or blamed on one-another.

jlong007
11-29-2012, 06:38 AM
So in a situation like mine where they have done every test under the sun, multiple times, and nothing ever comes up; is it safe to assume its strictly an anxiety disorder?

In the last year I have been to the ER at least 10 times, been to 2 cardiologists, endocrinologist, neurologist, pulmonologist, my primary, ENT, Dentist. And I have had every test including a cardiac cath. And the doctors can not find anything.

Do you think it's safe to say that I have an anxiety disorder?

somedude
11-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Sounds like me last year. Went to the ER a couple of times and got a cardiologist to run a bunch of test and checked in with my doctor a few times as well. Everything was normal, told me it was probably anxiety.

Anxiety is really good at making something small seem much bigger. If you've had all of those test done you're fine.

dazza
11-30-2012, 01:45 AM
So in a situation like mine where they have done every test under the sun, multiple times, and nothing ever comes up; is it safe to assume its strictly an anxiety disorder?

In the last year I have been to the ER at least 10 times, been to 2 cardiologists, endocrinologist, neurologist, pulmonologist, my primary, ENT, Dentist. And I have had every test including a cardiac cath. And the doctors can not find anything.

Do you think it's safe to say that I have an anxiety disorder?

Probably... let's hope so!

What are you symptoms and how often do they occur?

jlong007
11-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Well I must say, since I have been getting treated with a psychiatrist, I have been feeling a lot better. It used to be that I had constant chest pains, dizziness, hot flushes, tingling sensations on my face, unbalanced just to describe a few. After taking Zoloft, almost all those symptoms subsided. Right now, the only thing that I feel everyday is a little dizziness, a hard heart beat (sometimes) I sort of feel that there is a slight pause and then I get a loud thump , and also I catch myself staring at nothing for a period of time. I also get this sensation where I feel like my forehead is sweating, but when I touch it, it's not.

AceParadox
11-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Well, at first I thought it was underlying conditions. But now that my anxiety has left, and I feel none of the old symptoms I thought were underlying symptoms, I can honestly say it was just anxiety and panic. Scary stuff how anxiety can make physical symptoms appear >.< even just things that don't even make sense, like leg pains. I got wicked painful hip pains some days when anxiety was bad. Like I couldn't walk down the stairs or even short distances without my whole leg feeling like a lightning bolt was going down the nerves. :/

dazza
11-30-2012, 07:36 AM
I also get this sensation where I feel like my forehead is sweating, but when I touch it, it's not.

Hmmmm...

MyForeheadFeelsSweatyButItIsn'tReally syndrome?

Kalita
11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
I've been doing cognitive behavioral therapy for 8 weeks now and one session was on the topic of why we have anxiety. And I was surprised to learn that there actually IS a physical reason why the majority of people suddenly suffer from anxiety. For some unknown reason the brains neurons don't make enough serotonin. On the other side of the neuron there are a set number of receptors waiting to capture the serotonin and send them off to a small part in the brain that regulates mood. When you don't have enough serotonin your neurons create more and more receptors in the hope that it will prompt the development of more serotonin. So, when we have way too many receptors we start to experience anxiety, along with its accompanying panic attacks. Too many receptors literally give you a permanent feeling of fright. Then when the panic attack kicks in you literally cross over to the flight mode. They described it like this; imagine you're in a car and there is a burglar walking around the car trying to find a way to break in. You feel edgy. Frightened. Yes? That's how an anxiety sufferer feels every day. Simply because they have too many receptors. Then, the burglar breaks in the car. You kick into flight mode. You want to run. Hide. You cry. You lose control. That's what happens when you suffer a panic attack. It's at that point when the part of your brain is trying to make use of the serotonin that is supposed to be in that little mood compartment of your brain. But obviously, there's no serotonin in there, so the panic attack gets out of control.
Does that make sense. Hence, the reason why anxiety medications are recommended. They help us to produce more serotonin thus decreasing the amount of receptors we produce.
I found that extremely interesting!! Thought I'd share. 😀

dazza
11-30-2012, 12:35 PM
I've been doing cognitive behavioral therapy for 8 weeks now and one session was on the topic of why we have anxiety. And I was surprised to learn that there actually IS a physical reason why the majority of people suddenly suffer from anxiety. For some unknown reason the brains neurons don't make enough serotonin. On the other side of the neuron there are a set number of receptors waiting to capture the serotonin and send them off to a small part in the brain that regulates mood. When you don't have enough serotonin your neurons create more and more receptors in the hope that it will prompt the development of more serotonin. So, when we have way too many receptors we start to experience anxiety, along with its accompanying panic attacks. Too many receptors literally give you a permanent feeling of fright. Then when the panic attack kicks in you literally cross over to the flight mode. They described it like this; imagine you're in a car and there is a burglar walking around the car trying to find a way to break in. You feel edgy. Frightened. Yes? That's how an anxiety sufferer feels every day. Simply because they have too many receptors. Then, the burglar breaks in the car. You kick into flight mode. You want to run. Hide. You cry. You lose control. That's what happens when you suffer a panic attack. It's at that point when the part of your brain is trying to make use of the serotonin that is supposed to be in that little mood compartment of your brain. But obviously, there's no serotonin in there, so the panic attack gets out of control.
Does that make sense. Hence, the reason why anxiety medications are recommended. They help us to produce more serotonin thus decreasing the amount of receptors we produce.
I found that extremely interesting!! Thought I'd share. 

An exceptionally awesome post... one of the most informative I've read.

Cheers!

jfletch
11-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes. Thanks for sharing. So is there no way to battle anxiety and panic without meds.i am on meds but would like to get off of them one day and still be normal.

11-30-2012, 08:38 PM
I would like to feel normal for once.

MeToo
12-01-2012, 12:41 AM
In reply to the OP, how did would you feel when a test gave you the all clear for something? Did you feel relief, or was it more a case of "oh crap what if the test was not carried out properly"?. I've found sometimes that getting cleared of one thing brings relief for a short time, but then you find some other health thing to worry about.

Kalita
12-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Jfletch. I hear ya!! I don't want to be on my medication for the rest of my life. But I don't want to be suffering anxiety 24/7. I just keep getting told that there is no medical evidence to show how or when a persons brain returns back to normal function. I guess some people suffer anxiety for a short time then they eventually get off the meds. But I'm more physical I think. I want to know the why and when's to everything. Why did I stop producing enough serotonin and when will I start normal serotonin production. Enough so that I can get off medication and lead a normal life. But you get the same answer every time; take it one day at a time!! Aauugghh.