PDA

View Full Version : drinking and anxiety don't mix

bfsgreg
11-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Hello to all
Hope everyone had a great holiday.As the title says they don't mix- I'm not only hungover (way to much sunday football and beer) but my anxiety level is kickin' hard.......
trying to survive working with all these symptoms. Not looking for sympathy, (although a little would be nice) just trying to make the next person aware of how terrible
this feels.
thanks for reading
Greg

star1234
11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Whether you have anxiety or not having a few drinks and watching football is fun and you need that. You still would have anxiety only not as bad so what the hell enjoy your good moments while it lasts. God knows we all have plenty of bad ones.

bfsgreg
11-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Whether you have anxiety or not having a few drinks and watching football is fun and you need that. You still would have anxiety only not as bad so what the hell enjoy your good moments while it lasts. God knows we all have plenty of bad ones.

great way to look at it-thanks

fred53
11-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Alcohol is the wonder drug for anxiety but your right.........You have to pay up the next day. I wonder if you need to drink again to bring you back to feeling "normal"? I know I did but it became a vicious cycle.

bfsgreg
11-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Alcohol is the wonder drug for anxiety but your right.........You have to pay up the next day. I wonder if you need to drink again to bring you back to feeling "normal"? I know I did but it became a vicious cycle.

don't want to drink for at least a day (lol)

dazza
11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
You go through stages with anxiety and panic attacks.

During the early stages where your disorder is newly formed and you don't have a clue what on gods earth is happening to you - alcohol must absolutely be avoided, since the hangovers send your already anxious brain into a spiral of panic.

Once you're past this particularly hostile and unforgiving stage & you're pretty much back in control - you may slowly re-introduce alcohol back into your life.

Some of my worst panic attacks were hangover induced. The next-day sluggish feeling of sleeping pills did the same.

Go easy!

angieproc1977
11-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Yeah I'm always worse with anxiety the morning after the night before x

dazza
11-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah I'm always worse with anxiety the morning after the night before x

lol.. especially when you wake up in someone elses house with half your hair shaved off and a moustache drawn on with indelible ink!

angieproc1977
11-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Lol doubt I'd be waking up in someone else's house my hubby would kill me lol, seriously it is a bugger so why do we still drink at the time I'm drinking it its a relaxant lol x

fred53
11-27-2012, 04:32 PM
IDK? Alcohol was my very best friend for many years and I miss her! Especially on those really bad anxious days! Just don't quite trust myself yet. Never got in trouble and had like the song say's..... "had some of the best times i'll never remember" The hangovers were getting unbearable. xanax wouldn't even make them go away. LOL!

fred53
11-27-2012, 04:33 PM
don't want to drink for at least a day (lol)

Great answer! BTDT

PanicCured
11-27-2012, 05:10 PM
When I had anxiety I stopped alcohol. Alcohol even in small amounts was kicking my adrenaline in and hangovers were created massive panic attacks for me. You can treat this as a time to get healthy. Instead of going out drinking do yoga. Now that I don't have anxiety anymore, I find myself drinking a bit more than I should. The good thing about anxiety, is you can use it as a time to get healthy, lose some extra fat, get your mind and body right, and a time of healing.

Chiliphil1
11-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Paniccured I like what you said, this really is an time for healing and self discovery. It is amazing the changes I've made it my life due to this disorder.

As far as drinking I have not done it in a while, mostly because I got tired of hangovers, but also because with the anxiety I made a commitment to live better and be healthier and drinking does not figure into that so I just stay away from it, and I am alot happier this way.

natuhhleee
11-27-2012, 08:25 PM
Oh I do miss drinking a glass or two of wine every night to take the edge off, especially after a long day with the baby.

I went out for the first time in three months a couple weeks back, had a few too many, and the next day I spent hungover as hell puking and had the worst panic attacks in my life. Now I'm too afraid to even look at alcohol.

And I love coffee, almost too much. But I had to cut most of it out cause it made my anxiety worse.

Ugh :( I've given up my whole life for anxiety it seems.

trinidiva
11-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Oh I do miss drinking a glass or two of wine every night to take the edge off, especially after a long day with the baby.

I went out for the first time in three months a couple weeks back, had a few too many, and the next day I spent hungover as hell puking and had the worst panic attacks in my life. Now I'm too afraid to even look at alcohol.

And I love coffee, almost too much. But I had to cut most of it out cause it made my anxiety worse.

Ugh :( I've given up my whole life for anxiety it seems.

I'm like you, exactly. No more alchol for me, period. Not even a glass of wine. I tried to drink some coffee a while back....bad move....I was on the verge of a panic attack for most of the day.

jhunter89
11-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Alcohol is great as long as you don't drink toooo much ;)

alankay
11-28-2012, 08:02 AM
The trouble is the next morning(if you have too much).....ewww. But it passes. Alankay

dazza
11-28-2012, 08:35 AM

jhunter89
11-28-2012, 09:34 AM
I just talk/post absolute drivvel. All this talk about booze is making me want a drink! Pmsl

dazza
11-28-2012, 09:44 AM
I just talk/post absolute drivvel. All this talk about booze is making me want a drink! Pmsl

LOL... same here!

Fuck, is it Friday yet? :-D

jhunter89
11-28-2012, 10:08 AM
LOL... same here!

Fuck, is it Friday yet? :-D

Who cares!? lol

sofi123
11-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I completely agree. I find if I drink a lot the night before the following day is hell. It's gotten to the stage where I don't drink at all anymore and I'm afraid to do so. It can take me 2-3 weeks to regain control of my anxiety from a night out. It's totally not worth it

dazza
11-28-2012, 05:07 PM
There's an interesting & quite revealing side to anxiety and alcohol.

I'm repeating myself here so forgive me, but I experience the following:

The first few drinks (when I begin to feel the alcohol effects) starts my anxiety off.
(Having health anxiety, my brain freaks a little when it feels anything unusual happening to me)
This early stage is dangerous, since if you're unlucky - it may start a panic attack.

However, after a few more drinks, the increasing strength of the alcohol effects eventually outweighs that of anxiety... and in fact, I end up completely anxiety free and feeling great.

This process, to me, is quite an interesting one, since it highlights / reveals how my anxiety & brain works.

The following morning, where the good effects of alcohol are long gone and you're feeling like crap - anxiety takes the lead again.

PanicCured
11-28-2012, 05:16 PM
You are trying to cure your anxiety? Why are you drinking? Is that part of the healing anxiety plan?