PDA

View Full Version : Social anxiety

LornaLoo
11-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Had my first cbt session on Thursday and the councillor told me I seem to be suffering from social anxiety. I looked into this further and I'm positive that she's correct as I display all the symptoms. I was feeling fine with it until now, when I have to go back to work tomorrow, and suddenly it's going round and round in my head and making me feel like a failure.
I know this is just the anxiety speaking so I'm trying to suppress it, but it's a horrible niggle at the back of my head telling me that I'm never going to be normal.
I just wondered if anyone else suffers from social anxiety in particular and what coping mechanisms you've found helpful? I've tried belly breathing, positive thinking, distracting myself and taking a few minutes out but it doesn't seem to calm me. I'm on fluoxetine 20mg and it's helping slightly but I really want to get over this :) thanks in advance x

alankay
11-25-2012, 03:26 PM
I find for racing heart/tremor/shaking propranolol 20-40 mgs helps a ton. Ask a GP about it and stay on the fluoxetine as it helps you not to ruminate/worry so much which is key. Alankay

LornaLoo
11-25-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks alankay :) I need to book another appointment with my gp soon so I will ask about it :)