PDA

View Full Version : Meds?

mrstanny
11-25-2012, 01:57 PM
I have never taken medication for my anxiety and im abit worried about asking my doctor to start me on anything. Has anyone been able to overcome it without meds? Im scared that if i start taking anything i wont be able to cope without it

SunnieDebris
11-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Meds are there to help take the edge off those huge feelings that can be overwhelming. But meds will not cure your anxiety, and most, if not all, may be habit-forming. It's best to talk to your doctor about your situation and your worries. My advice would be to not be scared to reach out for help. Meds can be very helpful.

Are you in any kind of therapy? If you have access to that, I would suggest that as well. Learning how to calm your body through a 5-10 minute relaxation exercise can be very helpful. You can find them on YouTube. I also recommend journaling your thoughts and feelings, which can be very powerful. Sometimes just getting your fears on paper will reduce the "alert" that your brain sends out that causes anxiety.

I hope you find the answers that you seek.

Sunnie

mrstanny
11-25-2012, 06:27 PM
No im not in any therapy but i do think it would help. Ive tried writing my feelings down but i still feel like im trying to deal with it alone. Talking to others seems to make me feel better but not for long and it all comes back. Id like to try other routes before using any medication

SunnieDebris
11-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Well, you're not alone here.