PDA

View Full Version : Interview tomorrow - having a massive panic.

Taucher
11-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a job interview tomorrow at mid-day (UK time). The interview consists of 4 elements lasting 4 hours (I think) in total. I have a group discussion (1 hour), a presentation (15 minutes), a panel interview and a test (1 hour). Today and yesterday I have been getting more and more anxious. I cannot eat, my stomach is churning and I am so so tired even though last night I slept for 8 hours. The interview is made even weirder because I am being interviewed for the job I am temporarily doing and have been doing for the last year and a half!

Also, I went for this job in March (same interview process) and didn't get it; my manager at the time phoned me in the evening and told me that unfortunately I didn't get the job but also he extended my temporary contract! EVEN WEIRDER - the lady who DID get the job in March instead of me was promoted 3 months later to be my manager! She is one of the interviewers on the panel tomorrow.

The last time I interviewed for this job, I felt like I did ok. I wasn't too anxious and everyone was telling me that I would get the job no problem BUT I DIDN'T. To make it worse, in the group discussion part I was with the lady who would eventually get the job (and is now my manager) and I thought she was was not particularly good.

All the people I work with want me to get the job and keep telling me that this time I will.

Sorry to go on, I am not sure if any of this background is really relevant. But I feel sick and like tomorrow is going to be one of the worst days of my life.

T

alankay
11-25-2012, 01:56 PM
You are experiencing anticipatory anxiety and will do fine. Alankay

LornaLoo
11-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Best of luck for tomorrow :) I get super nervous before anything like that. Try to stop fighting the feeling and think 'if I don't get it, I don't get it, I'll do my best, I cant do anymore, if I don't get it, it obviously wasn't meant to be!'
It's hard to adapt an 'I-don't-care-what-happens' sort of attitude, but I find it gives some temporary relief. As long as you try your best, you can't change anything so just take every step as it comes. Remember, you're worrying about 'what if's that might not happen :) x

SunnieDebris
11-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Taucher,

I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time with this. I know it's scary, but all you can do is your best. Try some easy relaxation exercises (like counting your breaths) and just try to stay as calm as possible. Get some sleep, if you can, and just know that you are competent and successful in your job. They obviously want you there, or they would not have extended your contract. It's always possible that your current boss was picked long before the interview process took place. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Sunnie