PDA

View Full Version : Symptom: Numbness

Wonk
04-23-2007, 07:54 PM
I have been having anxiety symptoms and minor panic attacks since September 2005. Chest pains, not being able to take a deep breath, headaches, loss of concentration, etc.

The most troubling and common symptom that I experience now is numbness in the left side of my body coupled with a "poking" sensation on the left side of my chest and under my left arm. The numbness is generally in worse in my leg and foot and I can sometimes feel it in my face. I experience it while I am at rest, at my desk at work, and sometimes while exercising. I have had a full neurological evaluation, including MRI and other evaluations. I have also had a full cardiac evaluation, including nuclear imaging, a stress test, and an echo cardiogram. All negative for abnormalities. The most common thing that I get anxiety about is my health, despite the fact that I am a 27 year old male who doesn't smoke and exercises regularly.

Does any one else experience a similar symptom? Particularly on the left side? The mere fact that someone else has similar symptoms may bring some relief.

Hopeful
04-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I have had simlar symptoms. I have gone numb on the left side before & the right, but it has been really mild. When my anxiety gets really bad both my hands tend to go numb. I also stress about my health & I have a fear of dying. Everyone is defferent, so I don't know if this will help you, but when I get chest pains & my left side goes numb I take a couple of deep breaths & tell myself "This is all in my head & I'm going to be Ok". It helps. It at least makes things better.

TWYI
04-23-2007, 08:42 PM
I get numbness and involuntary clenching of my fists, takes a real effort to open them up

josenav
04-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi!, I have had numbness ond both hands and left leg.
It all started on my left hand and arm then this feeling went to my right arm, then to my left leg.
Then i the numbness went away and a weakness feeling came to take its place, and right now is hard to do some fine movements with my hands.
Ive been with 5 or 6 doctors in a month and all they say that it is stress and anxiety, 2 of em also told that maybe it was because of vaccination. I received 2 double vaccines and 2 simple vaccines 2 months ago, all at the same time. A neurologist that i saw, told me that vaccines can cause demyelination. And told him that i was affraid of having multiple sclerosis. He told me that what i have is stress and anxiety, but it could be due to the vaccines.
By the way im suffering from muscle twitching in ramdom places.
Ive been with this symptoms for more than a month everyday.

MissAngelicNorth
04-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I get it in my head the most . feels dead tight . its horrible .

Also been getting in my legs latly . right now its in my foot n it hurts :(

neverbeenright
04-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I get numb in my hands and also in my face. I also have to be careful not to hyperventilate - one time, when I was at a doctors office I started hyperventilating and my hands clenched up and I had no control over them. Very frightening. There's a name for it, I just don't feel like looking it up. The doctor made me breathe in a paper bag and that took care of it after a few minutes. So now breathing is a struggle when I'm having an anxiety attack - I feel like I'm not getting enough air, but I'm afraid of hyperventilating! More irony. :|

txmom
04-24-2007, 08:15 PM
I get numbness in my hands and face also, primarily around my mouth.
When this happens, it feels like I can't control my mouth.
I guess this is a result of hyperventilation and/or oxygen deprivation due to overly-shallow breathing when I'm having a really bad episode of anxiety (I hesitate to say "panic", because I don't think I've ever had a full-blown panic attack like the ones I've heard described, with chest pains and feeling like I'm having a heart attack or whatever. I don't have that kind. I do have some sort of anxiety attack, though, where I breathe very fast and shallow and can't talk or think very well).

strezzed
06-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I get numbness on my left side mainly and right now I am having left side face numbness. Scares the hell outta me but doctor says it is stress but I get to go see a neurologist this September and cant wait. But I know hes going to say the same thing. Stress related. As I read this thread i feel better kowing that my doctor is most likely right.