PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with Eating Disorder and Anxiety

ILoveConorMaynard
11-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Okay, well I could go on forever but obviously I won't so I'll try and keep it short and sweet.

I have recently been diagnosed with an eating disorder, I had an assessment earlier this week with CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services). I'm almost 17...

I was told I am 20% under what I should be in weight. Apparently, I should be at 100%, anorexic people are classed anorexic at 85% but I am 80%.. however I am not anorexic. I weigh 45.7kg... I was told I am starving...

So basically, I need to try and get better asap, my parents are saying if I don't get better I will have to pull out of college, which is the last thing I want to do. However, I am finding it extremely difficult to eat at the moment and when I do I am told it's not enough, then I feel really ill. I feel soo much pressure right now to eat it's horrible!

I have also been experiencing some new symptoms, I feel sick a lot, I find it hard to breathe sometimes, I get really hot occassionly and I have had a bad headache.. Pretty sure this is all as a result of me not eating :L

I do feel really upset that I am trying and dont seem to be getting anywhere, after my assessment I felt depressed because I didnt realise how serious I was. I now feel loads of pressure to eat and it is making me worse.

I am struggling to eat in the morning and at college...I guess I am asking if anyone has any advice or techniques to help me, cause I desperately need it now!

Thank you!

n1ck13
11-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Ok hopefully I can help :)

FIRSTLY, Instead of trying to force yourself to eat a huge meal, try grazing! Just nibble on little things all through the day, and get some protein shakes in ya! Don't forget to drink plenty of water too
SECONDLY, don't listen to the pressure others put on you! If you WANT to get better, then you have to do it for yourself not because others are telling you. Stand strong and focus on what you need to do!

Don't let this depress you, let it motivate you to be the healthiest version of you that you can be! Don't be afraid to seek help from a nutritionist, you can do this!!! Stay positive xx

laurandisorder
11-23-2012, 03:32 AM
I have had a lengthy battle with an eating disorder and have essentially 'recovered' to the best of my ability, but it has taken years of hard work with a psychiatrist, a psychologist, dietician and of course medication.

It sounds like you could really use some help from a dietician too - especially if you're struggling with food choices.

Basically you have to get to a healthier weight which means eating more and for me, anxiety does not help with this. You also need to eat enough to support your brain and organs and get your body out of starvation mode.

Make a commitment to recover - there are heaps of websites out there for support. You need to consume around 2000 calories a day, so start with foods that you are comfortable with.

Even though I have recovered, I still mainly eat foods that I am comfortable with when I am left to my own devices.

Good luck and pm me if you need anything x

ILoveConorMaynard
11-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Thank you for your replies, I am going to see a counsellor for my eating disorder and anxiety so hopefully they will help! :L xx