PDA

View Full Version : To be your own advocate

Kowli
11-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Hi,

I just joined this forum. I'm not a native English speaker, sorry for any grammatical errors in advance. I'm suffering a minor type of anxiety. It became a little more tense during the last few months since I had to leave the school for some unexpected reasons that hurt me so much. I was doing well or at least I assumed so but what happened led to a severe loss of my self-confidence. I was seeing a therapist before the incident for my anxiety and was getting better but after what happened to school, I think all of those treatments get undone. Recently, I heard that one of the best treatments that I could have is to be a good advocate for myself and remind myself my positive points. It's very hard for me now, since I think I've lost an status that I was very proud of. It was like I was riding in a road happily and somebody hit me and paralyzed me. I don't know how to regain my confidence again. I feel I'm the most useless person among my peers now and it hurts so much. I see they're going on well and I'm stopped. Do you know any suggestions? How one can be a good advocate for herself?

dazza
11-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Hi

I'm intrigued as to what happened?

Surely, how you feel about yourself now is dependant on WHY this event occured, the reasons behind it and WHO was at fault.

If it was my fault then I'd be beating myself up... deservedly so to be honest.
If it wasn't my fault then surely there's a case for seeking compensation of some sort?

Dazzle

Kowli
11-20-2012, 09:01 AM
The only thing I can say is that I feel what happened to me was not fair. I don't think any sort of compensation can be sought anymore. The circumstances were out of my control and those in charge, I believe, didn't handle it the way they should. I feel I'm treated unjustly. Anyway, it's not anything that I can do about it. But when I think of it, it is like my heart wants to stop working. So, I should find a way to move on. But I don't know how.

drmills
11-20-2012, 06:06 PM
The best advice I can give is to find a supportive therapist who can help you find your own inner-strength. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is designed to help you identify your own strengths and eliminate the maladaptive negative self-thoughts that hold you back. Google "Psychologist" and your home town and try to find someone that seems to be a good fit for your personality.