PDA

View Full Version : Does anyonw get 'skipped' beats when not feeling anxious?

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Does anyone get the skipped beats in chest like a flutter when they aren't feeling anxious? Just randomly?

defmunel
11-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Yep. That's what started my latest anxiety attack. Going on 2 wks of high anxiety. They are usually harmless, but scary none the less.

angieproc1977
11-18-2012, 08:18 AM
Yes me too which has also just started my recent bout of anxiety they're horrible things, they sometimes make me go lightheaded too x

Str8crew
11-18-2012, 08:45 AM
I get those as well... very scary :/

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 08:49 AM
I was just sitting in the car waiting for my mum feeling calm ish, an I got one! There so scary but as long as their harmless that's Great they are well scary I usually only get them when I'm anxious but started to get them random x

Linda@TalkTherapyBiz
11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Hi Nicole--do you incorporate breathing exercises into your daily routine? Sometimes we forget how valuable purposeful, calming breaths are b/c it's something we do on a daily basis and b/c it's an automatic, unconscious bodily function...

For example, breathing in for a count of four, holding for a count of four, exhaling for a count of four (or any variation) is simple, easy to implement and can be done anywhere. Any exercise to calm down the bodies nervous response calms down the heart, and regulates breathing.

Second, just wondering if you're (unconsciously) summoning anxiety symptoms as a way to "bring it on, already" b/c you feel that anxiety is an inevitable part of your day?

Hope this is helpful :).

dazza
11-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Angie - the lightheadedness following an eptopic beat is usually because of the fright response to the abnormal rythmn.

I.e. the abnormal rythmn occurs and we immediately think; "OOOh my god...", which causes a brief moment of panic, which in turn causes the sensation of lightheadedness.

Can you relate to this? or do you think you REALLY go dizzy?

dazza
11-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Nicole, did your recent 24hr holter record any eptopic beats?

Did you even ask about it??

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 09:34 AM
My results where absolutely fine, I got a letter saying it was all normal. I had one skipped beat whilst has the monitor on and I recorded it on my paper but they didn't mention anything but I do get them are they normal ?

angieproc1977
11-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Dazza yeh I reckon that's what it is but my head goes into over drive and says woah your going to pass out then my panic escalates I see the pattern I get myself into but can't seem to stop it sometimes x x

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 09:41 AM
I have also been feeling dizzy and feeling sick aince Friday, but this morning I hVe a runny nose, head ache sore throat and coughing a lot so I think the sick and dizziness comes from the cold or bug I have, I haven't had the skipped beats for about a week and just a few hours ago I got a random one x

dazza
11-18-2012, 10:15 AM
It's important to recognise the association of heart "wobbles" with anxiety.

Having had "heart attack anxiety", I am all too familiar with the panic that ensues after an epotic beat, or other abnormal rythmn.
I've had the flutter... I've had the heart PAUSE then BANG (as the heart resets) and so on.

Ironic that the panic from the fear I was ultimately scared of was actually causing these abnormal rythms.
Fear could not get any worse if it tried.

It is fact that the most common cause of eptopic beats is anxiety + stress.

Nicole... if you have anxiety disorder (which I know you have... being on this forum every day asking if there's something wrong with you is testament to that), then believe me that your mind + body is ripe & ready for symptoms, regardless of feeling anxious or not.

Your brain is on the edge and it only takes a little thought or stress to trigger a symptom, not least of all a skipped heart beat.

For as long as you remain trapped in this world of anxiety disorder - you are going to continue to suffer symptoms.

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Them heart wobbles you have described I have had, are these just anxiety symptoms? I really can not believe anxiety can cause something so physical and petrifying !!!

jhunter89
11-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Better believe it! I had a weird sensation in my head last Sunday. Hard to describe umm like it was throbbing and maybe squirting liquid around in my brain? Haha. Managed to talk myself out of thinking I was having a brain haemorrhage before panic took hold.

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 11:13 AM
That's like me honestly any little pain I get I think the worst even though my ecgs and eveything are normal!! Do u ever get these skipped beats ?

jhunter89
11-18-2012, 11:17 AM
I get palpitations sometimes, the first time I experienced them out of the blue (I wasn't feeling anxious) scared the shit out of me an I had them all day for like 4 days thought I was dying! But then I noticed when I was distracted I didn't feel them anymore and id never felt so happy to be alive lol.

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 11:20 AM
It's possibly because I have constant anxious thoughts in my head from waking up to going to sleep x

jhunter89
11-18-2012, 11:29 AM
You just gotta accept it, just like you'd expect a head ache, sore throat with a cold, expect palps/skipped beats/dizziness/nausea (to name but a few) with anxiety!

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks very much for your help, I'm willing to give it ago ! It's just easier said than done x

jhunter89
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Although no harm in going to a doctor everytime you are very concerned if it gives you peace of mind

jhunter89
11-18-2012, 11:35 AM
No prob Nicole, now go do something you enjoy for a bit :)

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I have had a busy weekend I've started to go out more and do things but nothing seems to get the anxiousness thoughts out my head!

jhunter89
11-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Maybe anti depressants would help? Or did I read somewhere you don't want to take medication?

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 11:52 AM
My doctor won't give me any because I am only 15, plus I wouldn't really want to depend my life on tablets x

jhunter89
11-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm sure even children can get prescribed ADs my bf was on them at 15/16 although he was severely depressed. But I understand the not wanting to depend on them and I guess if it doesn't affect your life too badly then that's ok.

nicole123x
11-18-2012, 11:57 AM
I might hVe to try them if things so not get better in time but I don't really want too lol x