PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of jumping

IRONS080
11-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Everyone that knows me thinks I'm scared of heights. The truth is I'm not, I'm terrified that I will jump!

If I'm up high somewhere I can't physically jump off then I'm fine. If I'm on a high balcony my mind goes into overdrive. I sometimes walk toward the edge with the intention to jump, then am so scared I nearly pass out.

Although I have anxiety issues I have no intention of 'ending it all'.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

harleygrl8
11-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Yessss! I have had morbide thoughts like that all my life.... its like u can see yourself doing it, even though u have no intention of ever doing it.... its like u can feel the feeling of it.... its very wierd! I just try n snap outta that thought and onto something else...

IRONS080
11-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Have you ever actually acted out one of these thoughts?

dazza
11-14-2012, 06:15 PM
The ultimate self dare, huh?

Probably quite a few folk try this... they push themselves to the limit of their fear, which is invariably a jump.

You're actually seeking the adrenaline rush by acting out the beginning or lead up to the actual event.
You'd probably do well at sky-diving or similar!

IRONS080
11-14-2012, 11:49 PM
The ultimate self dare, huh?

Probably quite a few folk try this... they push themselves to the limit of their fear, which is invariably a jump.

You're actually seeking the adrenaline rush by acting out the beginning or lead up to the actual event.
You'd probably do well at sky-diving or similar!

Never thought of it like that, I used to be into extreme sports when I was younger and had a life and I miss it. You may be on to something.

So my treatment for being scared ill jump off something high is to jump out of a plane! Lol, I may just give that a try.

dazza
11-15-2012, 12:51 AM
lol... DO IT! :-)

I think there's also some kinda sick curiosity going on too.

I recall a couple of occasions where I've very gently run a razor blade across my wrist... long before any anxiety started and not for any other reason but to just endulge in the thoughts of what COULD happen.
I know this sounds crazy, but it wasn't. I was completely level headed at the time... it's just acting out something that will NEVER actually occur.
It's kinda freaky knowing that you're in complete control of what COULD be a total disaster in the blink of an eye.
Perhaps there's some control element going on as well.

The upshot is: Don't worry about these thoughts, they're not an indication of a crazy mind... just a curious, highly imaginative one.

jhunter89
11-15-2012, 01:22 AM
I've thought about jumping infront of moving cars.
I'd have a great excuse why I couldn't go into work lol.

IRONS080
11-15-2012, 03:02 AM
You sure its not more of a What if thought fear ?.

Such as what if i crack and just jump

Yea, that's defiantly part of it, I've had plenty of 'what if I crack and....' Thoughts but none that have been this scary.

These usually induce a panic attack, meetings at work are no fun, 'what if I throw up' ' what if I shout something stupid' what if I jump on the table and get naked'. Etc etc