PDA

View Full Version : Problems falling asleep

1Laticia
11-09-2012, 10:31 PM
It seems like every time I try to close my eyes and drift asleep it feels Like HearthI'd about to jump out my chest as if it stopped

AceParadox
11-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Sometimes happens to me. Scary stuff.
I don't like sleeping because it occurs sometimes.

BettyInBlack
11-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I get like that too, except when I'm drifting off to sleep I feel like I'm dieing or passing out. When that happens I usually wake up gasping for air in a panic. Anxiety sucks :(

Amr
11-10-2012, 01:23 PM
This is exactly what happens to me when i try to sleep i suddenly panic and wake up Feeling hot with pounding heart

dazza
11-11-2012, 05:08 AM
This is an interesting one.

It further enforces my likening anxiety disorder to having an inner sentry soldier, where every twitch / pain / sensation is acted upon by our anxiety.

E.g. for peeps having heart anxiety, their anxiety instantly freaks at every chest / arm / jaw / neck pain.

It seems the danger response part of the brain has become detached and does it's own thing, and I reckon it does exactly the same when it senses us
falling asleep.

A kind of protection response if you like.

The cure?
Unfortunately not easy... you need to go to bed completely calm and anxiety free.

dazza
11-11-2012, 05:10 AM
One more possibility...

I've read that the brain sometimes misinterprets sleep to falling over.
Seriously!

You know how we start to fall asleep but sometimes JUMP ourselves awake. I read that this is because the brain sometimes thinks we're falling over (because we're horizonal) and so it quickly tries to correct our position and thus makes us jump.

Stupid brain!! :-)

jhunter89
11-11-2012, 05:13 AM
And when you dream about tripping over or something and you jolt awake, I hate that! :)

1Laticia
11-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Yeah it doesn't happen every night but when it does its scary!

jon mike
11-11-2012, 03:52 PM
had it for years. in an odd way it sort of makes me laugh now. try sleeping on your side when you are feeling anxious before sleep. this helps