PDA

View Full Version : Vent

raggamuffin
11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
The past week my car alarm has had low batteries. So what does it go and do? Goes off all the time when it's locked. A bit like a mobile phone with a low battery. What better way to alert your owner to the batteries demise than to make loud noises.

The car alarm wouldn't stop going off this evening. All the previous tactics that used to shut it up no longer worked. Had my dad shouting at me for buying a "piece of shit car". Had the neighbours outside giving me evils.

Put it in the garage. Jacked it up, got underneath. Unbolted the wheel arch panelling. Followed all the instructions off the net to a tee and I can't physically get enough room to undo the top bolt of the alarm to remove it and change the batteries. Half the arch material is clipped onto the upper body work and needs far too much physical force to even budge. The rest is totally unbolted.

If I use all my strength I can just about pull the panel back far enough to see this mystery bolt, hidden at the top of the arch in no mans land. But that takes 2 hands. With one hand I can't physically bend the panel material far enough to even get a good look at this hidden bolt never mind fit a spanner through the tiny gap. If I want more space i'll have to undo 6+ more bolts to take off the whole front bumper. I threw my back out last week and I was in absolute agony throughout the whole ordeal.

Now i'm left with a 3 wheeled car, a brake covered in dust that'll probably be ruined by the time i'm done, and a car alarm that still has low batteries and may well go off on any given moment. I can't unplug the alarm because then the immobilizer will be broken and the car won't start. I can't replace the batteries because the car is old and they don't sell the batteries in UK onnline anymore. I'd have to wait weeks to get them from US or China. My dad's car is in the garage because it's being repaired. My mum starts work 2 hours before me and her place is 5 miles away from where I work. Someone is off on holiday form work all week and there's a huge backlog of work and my manager will go ape if I can't make it into work tomorrow.

In the words of Mark from Peep Show. "Why didn't I just buy an anvil and smash my face on it? It'd certainly be a lot more simple."

Ed

jhunter89
11-05-2012, 01:27 PM
We buy any car .com :) hehe sorry :-P

jhunter89
11-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Ear plugs and we buy any car.com :-P hehe.. Sorry my lame attempt at humour

Posted twice how dumb

And I realise this does not help you in getting to work :-/

dazza
11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Dumb question but why can you not disconnect the master battery ??

If not find the fuse to it and pull it out .

Tiz true... most car alarms have a fuse in-line with the positive (red) feed.
Having said that, if the fuse was THAT easy to find then any potential thief would be able to find it... kinda defeating the object of an alarm really :-/

raggamuffin
11-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Nope, unplugging the battery did work at first. Then a few days later it'd only work with the battery unplugged if the doors were unlocked. Now, the only way to shut it up is to leave the key in the ignition. Ringing a garage tomorrow. They'll no doubt replace the whole unit as opposed to just the batteries. I'll have to put a lot of faith into the people at work not to be thieving pikies and steal my car when the keys in the ignition xD

Ed

raggamuffin
11-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Ach my back though, I feel utterly wrecked. What an idiot I was about 2 hours ago...

Ed