PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain

raggamuffin
11-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Hi all,

I know anxiety can cause back pain. My therapist keeps saying the first step of CBT is to truly accept anxiety is causing these pains. She asks me why I still have worry and doubt over pains I get. We've gone through how my mindset works. The internal questions and fears I have and how I rationally try to combat these fears with reassurance and practical thinking. I suppose because it's a relatively new symtpom my minds having trouble truly accepting that it is solely caused by anxiety. But my therapist says even a small amount of worry is enough for anxiety to latch onto and continue to wreak havoc. The pain is very low down, in my pelvis (sacrum), sometimes my tailbone too.

The pain had been lingering on and off for a few weeks and I thought it might have been due to a month or so cycling 3-4 hours a week on my road bike which i'm dubious about the fitting due to various pains. But the pain came on a week or so after I stopped cycling. I went to a minor injury clinic and they said it was probably tendonitis which could take up to 6 weeks to fully heal. They gave me some stretching exercises to do and said to take ibuprofen 3 times a day. I did the stretching exercises for 2 days straight, then started forgetting and routine became irregular at best.

The pain disappeared for a week or so, but the aching pains returned shortly afterwards. The thing is, around the sacrum there are lots of muscles. Plenty of room for anxiety and worry to cause tension and pains. But, as with every other anxiety pain, it's not constant and often moves from place to place. It can last for hours, but then disappear for hours too. Yesterday I had hardly any pain there because rib pain and upper back pain was the concern of the day. Then later in the evening it returned only to later be eradicated by a bout of toothache.

My therapist says that an actual real physical condition won't simply disappear or feel better in certain situations. This, along with the fact that pain killers had no effect makes me think it is another anxiety symptom.

It's just troublesome as it hurts a lot more when i'm sat down and I work in an office. The cold also seems to make the ache a lot more profound. Hence, this is causing me unecessary agro. But the dizziness, the chest pains, arm pains etc tend to fizzle out when I practice my deep breathing and telling myself that "it's just anxiety". But the stomach aches and the back pains really don't seem to sod off when I practice the above relaxation techniques.

All i'm really left with is distraction. That's only ever really a temporary distraction at best.

Ed

wreckingball
11-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Hey Ed,

Have you tried a heat/wheat pack? That always helps me with stomach pain. Or just your standard pain killer, even if sometimes it's a simple placebo effect, it still works for me usually :)

raggamuffin
11-05-2012, 02:03 AM
I made a heat pack on Saturday. It worked for a bit but doesn't last long and it leaked everywhere and I was left with wet trousers lol. Pain killers haven't worked for the back pain unfortunately.

Ed

wreckingball
11-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Oh no!!! Heat pack CAN fail. I will forever think of this story when using heat packs in the future ha. Unfortunately I can't offer any further help. My list ends at leaking heat packs and pain killers that don't kill pain.
But I do hope you're well distracted at the very least!

str1ker
11-05-2012, 02:28 AM
You might also try different back stretches. Especially if you're confined to an office chair all day. It really surprised me how much simply stretching can help your back. Granted mine wasn't from anxiety, it still might be something worth checking out. Some of these worked great for me: ttp://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/flexibilityexercises/ss/BackStretches.htm - add an h to the very beginning for http:

dazza
11-05-2012, 02:28 AM
Ed... have you seen a chirpractor?

Worth a shot, they're not expensive. Lots in and around Cambridge.

raggamuffin
11-05-2012, 02:35 AM
Yeah I need to really do these stretches multiple times a day and stick to the routine. I'm terrible when it comes to routines. When I first got anxiety I went to a chiropractor due to chest pains etc. She did some sort of rib adjustment and various back and neck clickings. I don't know really it was £35 per 30 min session and I spent hundreds on it over the months. Maybe they could provide some relief. I think i'll stick with the stretches first. See how I fair with that.

Ed

lsapphirel
11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Ed, pls update whenever you have news of your back ache or pain. I have them and like you, when its cold, my back will get really painful to the point where, when i bend slightly, it will be really painful, or cough or sneeze.

I went to the docs before, not just 1 doc but several within the week, and they all gave diff diagnosis with diff meds.

In terms of accepting, i no longer know if what i have is anxiety or not, im at the confused stage.

raggamuffin
11-05-2012, 10:31 AM
The longer you have the pains and the more varied they become, the more I think you build up a case that it must be anxiety. When pains are never focused on one area, but move about, when you keep busy and symptoms and worry are stiffled or disappear entirely, I think it's around that time you need to admit that it is probably anxiety. But it's a very hard thing to do - disregard pain and symptoms. But the longer we worry about the what if's and self diagnose or expect the worst outcome, the more worry and fear the anxiety has to feed off and the more pains and symptoms our body will kick out due to this constant state of perceived danger.

Ed

lsapphirel
11-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Do you have constipation or should i say, you rarely pass motion? I dont know if its connected and im not gonna google it. Again, i really am worried about my back ache or pain. And you know what! I ate like every 3 hours!! I dont gain weight. I dont even know where to seek help or if i should even be seeking help. I dont know if it all is connected in a way.

nicole123x
11-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I've suffered awful back pain ! I thought mine was just trapped wind! I got so scared because it was a horrible pressure type of ache like someone was sat on it ! X

dazza
11-06-2012, 10:05 AM
I've suffered awful back pain ! I thought mine was just trapped wind! I got so scared because it was a horrible pressure type of ache like someone was sat on it ! X

Is there anything you DON'T have, Nicole? :-P

<Awaits vicious back-lash>

nicole123x
11-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Well nope. That's the whole point of anxiety, I'm sure you've been through it right?

lsapphirel
11-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Is there anything you DON'T have, Nicole? :-P

<Awaits vicious back-lash>

Dazza lol. Still naughty i see. Dont mind him nicole, hes like that.

lsapphirel
11-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Mine is more of a pain rather than ache. Its always same spot. Sometimes i cant handle the pain.