PDA

View Full Version : alcohol and anxiety

emaj
11-03-2012, 04:44 AM
Feel so ill today. Was doing great but I did something stupid went out last night and got drunk. Now I feel sick. Pain in left arm. Headache. Anxiety is worse. Do yourselves a big favour people. Suffer with anxiety? Do not drink!

pandora92
11-03-2012, 04:47 AM
I'm the same!! Defiantly not drinking anymore which sucks really I'm only 20 and all my friends our out every weekend!!! How long have you suffered with anxiety??

emaj
11-03-2012, 04:56 AM
Only twelve months. I took citalopram for six. Have propranolol for panic. I am doing really well I think. I go to yoga and meditate and eat well. I am managing it myself. Going to therapy though soon as I still can't seem to control my thoughts. Can't believe I got drunk last night when I know how much worse it makes you! Hope your keeping tough? X

pandora92
11-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Same as me. I was put on ADs to start with but they made me drowsy so I came of them and went to CBT but am now on a waiting list for a higher qualified therapist, since then I've got worse because of my thoughts like you. I think negatively all the time and really wish I could stop it! Do you find yoga helps?? X

emaj
11-03-2012, 05:39 AM
Yoga. Meditation. Going swimming. All help really well. I switched to green tea and improved my diet and I am managing it very well. (apart from being stupid last night and drinking!) definitely do yoga chick it really helps with breathing techniques and relaxes muscles which helps. X

gmb1
11-03-2012, 01:52 PM
I've heard yoga is a good method of managing it but never really have it much thought. How often do you need to do it to see the benefits would you say?

octopus
11-03-2012, 01:58 PM
This is why i dont do drugs and drink. Im under 21. Its kinda stupid. My family has had a bad history with alcohol and because of my anxiety. Im never going to drink ever. You dont need to injure your body more to have a good time.

pandora92
11-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Well said!! I rarely go out an have always handled my drink really well but since this anxiety has come about I seem to be more in touch with all physical sensations. I've been caffeine free for about 3 days now and from today alcohol free :) x

wreckingball
11-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I often drink so that I loosen up, and can talk with people easily, I can handle alcohol very well, but the anxiety the next day is so terrible I usually need to be given anti anxiety pills to calm me down. It's never worth it, which sucks. I'm 23 and it would be nice to have drinks with friends without worrying about the next days panic attacks!

pandora92
11-04-2012, 03:19 AM
That's exactly the same as me!! On the night I feel great and confident and forget all my problems. But the next day is dreadful and being 20 it's worse because all my friends can go out and drink with no worrys in the world c

wreckingball
11-04-2012, 04:48 AM
Do you find that you wake up really early after a big night? And start panicking straight away? That's what I do, at like 6am. So the lack of sleep makes it worse for me also. So glad to know I'm not alone!

j2005
11-04-2012, 05:50 AM
Can you guys just have one drink without anxiety or have you learned they even one brings it on?

dazza
11-04-2012, 05:58 AM
Not being funny... but you SHOULD be getting absolutely pie-eyed every weekend at your age(s)... and you SHOULDN'T be worrying about the effects of it.
My mum still is and she's nearly 70! lol

Seriously, it's sad that you youngun's have this disorder... if you let it take a hold you're gonna miss out on so much.

Having said that, if you can live happily WITHOUT alcohol then obviously you're gonna be healthier in the long run.

Horses for courses and all that... everything in moderation... blah blah blah

At my anxious worst, hangovers would cause me serious panic attacks. I mean serious... like OMG I'm gonna die serious.
Once you get past the panicky phase of the disorder you'll find yourself gravitating back to alcohol I'm sure. I did :-D

jhunter89
11-04-2012, 06:00 AM
I respect and to be honest envy people who can have a great time sober!

dazza
11-04-2012, 06:04 AM
I respect and to be honest envy people who can have a great time sober!

Oh same here... but not the boring fucks who moan all night... I mean the happy ones.

I envy how some can be so high on life and not have to rely on anti-inhibitors, such as alcohol, to be all smiley and megga confident.

This, I believe, is one common personality trait anxious folk tend to share (i.e. we're not so outgoing)

jhunter89
11-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Yeah the bastards!

wreckingball
11-04-2012, 06:33 AM
To answer the earlier question: I can have a fair few without being anxious the following day. I'm only very small in height/weight but can hold alcohol very well. If I write myself off, that's when the panic attacks begin at 6am the next morning. But sometimes it's just more fun doing that, just to be normal with friends for a night haha

jhunter89
11-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I can have 2 bottles of wine and be fairly ok next day anymore than that= worst hangovers ever! Luckily I've only had 1 panic attacked caused by a hangover but there again I haven't had a bad hangover since then either!

dazza
11-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Onnit like a car bonnet... :-D

jhunter89
11-04-2012, 07:28 AM
I stretched to 3 one Xmas eve. Needless to say I had Xmas on Boxing Day!

dazza
11-04-2012, 07:44 AM
I stretched to 3 one Xmas eve. Needless to say I had Xmas on Boxing Day!

WOOOHOOOO...

CRIMBLE soon!

can't wait to see "The Snowman" again for the 415th time...

jhunter89
11-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Arghhh. I'm guessing its a picture of a snowman. Dumbass people will be ringing the police complaining someone stole their snow man

pandora92
11-05-2012, 12:53 AM
Yes dazza that's how I feel but like you say I don't need alcohol to have a good time. I do wake really early and worry straight away but maybe when my anxiety has gone ill be able to have a few and not worry, I'm not a normal 20 year old anyway... How many do you know who meditate don't drink and have no caffeine. Lol!! But I see it as small positive steps on my road to recovery

wreckingball
11-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Do what you've gotta do, right? I also don't know a lot of 20 year olds who would have the maturity to take that personal step to help themselves. So kudos to you, and all of my best wishes also! :)