PDA

View Full Version : hi, all about me

anxious_D
11-02-2012, 03:37 AM
Hi everyone, first time for me to be posting on here.

I've suffered with anxiety all my life and I have managed to always overcome things myself (to a certain degree) but on Monday I started a new job and had a sever panic attack and I've had to tell them that I can't take the job on. I feel now like I need some more help. I'm worried that when I manage to find a new job I'm going to have the same feeling/experience again and I won't be able to cope. Rather than just 'dealing' with things I feel that I now really need to get something done about this.
My anxiety affects many different areas of my life but I'm perfectly fine with going out and meeting people. In fact, probably one of the strongest things about me is meeting people and chatting or helping them out. But trying to go on Holiday with my girlfriend is nearly impossible. That feeling of being away from Home I suppose or going somewhere like a restaurant and not being able to leave. I was in my last job for 2 and a half years and I really got on well with the people there and I couldn't even go out to like a 'work meal' with everyone as I knew I would feel sick and completely loose my appetite. Recently, driving has become a little bit more of an issue but I am still driving and telling myself 'nothing is going to happen'.

I think the main thing that set my panic attack off was the fact that I had to travel 50mins to my new job and then had to travel out to customer sites with people I didn't know. I get travel sick anyway and the fact that I had to then get in as a passenger and travel for an hour and then be at a site for a few hours and then travel completely took that control away from me and I was worried and telling myself the whole time not to feel sick or have an attack. Now that I've taken this fear away and left the job I can feel myself returning to normal, even though I have that feeling at the back of my head that I've let this amazing opportunity pass me by for a new career. The main thing is i don't want this to happen again and I want to 'cure' myself of anxiety and panic and crazy thoughts but is this even possible?

I was looking at the Panic Puzzle website that came through when I signed up to this forum - does anyone know if this is worth doing?

emaj
11-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Hello chick! Hope your feeling okay today. The moment I took up yoga and meditation and started improving my diet and quit alcohol and caffine I felt 100 times better. Its easier to manage if you try and help yourself by doing the above. I did a stupid thing and had a few beers last night and im paying for it now! A mistake I will not make again. Keep tough! :-D

pandora92
11-03-2012, 05:21 AM
Small changes in life can seem catastrophic to us anxiety sufferers. I would really recommend seeing your doctor about cognitive behavioural therapy, it's really helped me to understand, and I rarely get full panic attacks now!! There are some great self help books online too! I wouldn't worry to much about the job there well be many more opportunities! Your health is the most important thing :) xx

gmb1
11-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Hi pandora can you suggest a decent online self help book or guide? I was only thinking of finding one yesterday! Thank you

pandora92
11-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I would definitely suggest panic attacks by Christine Ingham first!! I found that it helped me gain some knowledge of what my body is doing and I very rarely have full blown panic attacks now!! I still suffer with general anxiety and have just finished self help for you nerves by dr Claire weekes. I'm going to start practicing why she teaches and see how I get on. Type self help anxiety CBT into google, there are some great worksheets you can print out they have been great for me too. Good luck xxx