PDA

View Full Version : How do you distract yourself from Anxiety

rhar
10-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Suffer daily from anxiety, the feeling dizzy and faint and constantly worrying I am dying of something!!!

How does everyone distract themselves from the symptoms???

l1n7
10-29-2012, 01:23 AM
I just do anything that will keep me busy. one thing i do is play games. like playing a hard game or finding a new game to play. It distracts me because I'm focused on the game.

agraves911
10-29-2012, 02:11 AM
I read or do crafts.

anxiousmal
10-29-2012, 02:22 AM
I currently play games. It certainly helps.

dazza
10-29-2012, 06:44 AM
I currently play games. It certainly helps.

What sort of games? disgustingly violent video games... like dead space 2?

anxiousmal
10-29-2012, 08:13 AM

No not those sort. It doesnt help my anxiety. RPGs mainly. Some shooters. I couldnt handle anything graphically violent.

orangeribbons
10-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Watch a movie or TV show. Talk to a friend. Listen to calming music. Create something! Do something nice for someone.

sully0105
10-29-2012, 09:15 AM
I go on my computer to watch YouTube videos or I watch series of shows on Netflix, its really the only thing that distracts me... Like I love to skateboard its the only thing I do but with my anxiety I can't go skate as much as I used to and when I do skate, if I forget about my anxiety I don't feel normal it seems

dazza
10-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I find movies aren't always enough to distract the mind. I can still sit there and "think".
Horror or other distressing movies often make it worse.

People interaction seems to be the best way for me. In particular - talking.
Talking means thinking about the subject I'm talking about which provides the necessary distraction.
This assumes that the subject isn't distressing, however... so, whatever it is you choose to do... it must
be stress free!

Jinaiya
10-29-2012, 10:55 AM
This is a really great thread!

I play computer games or scrapbook. I'll admit it is hard to do something distracting when I am in full panic mode though. Housework helps too, and walks.

Because I have trouble getting comfortable falling asleep at night I have gotten into the habit of watching the same movie every night as I fall asleep. I fine routine helps a lot and if I wake up in the middle of night panicky, I simply turn the movie on again and repeat.

dazza
10-29-2012, 11:06 AM
This is a really great thread!

I play computer games or scrapbook. I'll admit it is hard to do something distracting when I am in full panic mode though. Housework helps too, and walks.

Because I have trouble getting comfortable falling asleep at night I have gotten into the habit of watching the same movie every night as I fall asleep. I fine routine helps a lot and if I wake up in the middle of night panicky, I simply turn the movie on again and repeat.

HAHA!

What's the movie... GROUNDHOG DAY?

McKennaKaelin
10-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Read books or watch movies, they distract you from your own life.

Jinaiya
10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
HAHA!

What's the movie... GROUNDHOG DAY?

That's funny because I just watched that the other day, but no. I watch "Mr. Deeds". I actually think its really only an okay movie, but the memory of first watching it and the time of my life felt very safe.

rhar
10-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Yep I think talking to people helps too.....
I just know that the more time I have on my own the worse it gets!!!
If I'm out at the shops and I feel an attack coming, I start counting how many people are wearing red, how many have black shoes on etc... It seems to help distract!!!

Katy88
10-29-2012, 03:37 PM
The things that help me are baking, watching films. Mostly I meditate and sometimes I read. Anything that redirects my thinking and empowers positive response.

Tristanayoubi
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM

LOLLLLL. wow dazza. I recommend dead space 2 for anybody with anxiety.

phoenixphyre
10-29-2012, 08:27 PM
The iphone or Samsung Galaxy are a God send for those needing something to distract their minds.