PDA

View Full Version : HELLO EVERYONE

dawn_brown75
08-31-2005, 05:21 PM
i am 29 years old, i have suffered from panic attacks for 3 years now, it has just taken my life and i feel that i am at a dead end road. i miss everything i use to do. i havent left my home in a very long time. i want my life back. i never went to the doctor before about my panic attacks, it got so bad so quick i have been unable to get there. i just dont know what else to do, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

shoe
09-01-2005, 07:45 AM
dawn, welcome to the site

do you have any people you would feel safe going places with? someone that could perhaps go with you to the doctor?

Does going out of the house in general give you the panic, or is it something that sorta strikes you at anytime?

You could do one of the 'Screening' tests I provided links for in the Resources section, they might help give you an idea of what areas you might need focusing on, and some of the tests give you reports that can be brought to the doctor.

dan

ajt
09-04-2005, 09:55 AM
WElcome, Dawn. I just arrived here today, myself. Agoraphobia is not as rare as some people think. I just found out my nephew's mother in law had it. From the research I have done on the net so far, it appears that
agoraphobics can lessen their fear by going outside with someone else to keep them company. I suggest going to the doctor with a friend or relative would make it easier for you. Even if you can't do that, call a cab and go to the doctor that way. You won't have to worry about driving yourself and the cab driver will be some company/ comfort.

The advice I have gotten from my own research and education on phobias
indicates that facing the thing you fear directly over and over often helps alot. Start slowly; go outside and walk a short distance at first. Do that repeatedly until you feel comfortable with it. Then go a bit farther, then a bit farther. After a time, you might prove to yourself that there is nothing to fear out there.

arachnid
11-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Welcome Dawn! 8)