PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety prone personalities

vonnhelsing
10-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I very much believe that anxiety is somewhat a result of your personality. i've done some research and have found that the following personality traits are common in people that suffer from anxiety disorders:
Perfectionism

Over-controling

People pleaser

Unrealistically high self expectations

Highly performance conscious

Highly sensitive

Highly creative

The “doer”

The “code” communicator

The health worrier

Radar

I can honestly say that i am all those things. And for me, i know that i had anxiety coming. i didn't know it before obviously but now that i think about it yes, definitely. i've always been super nervous. overly sensitive. When i was in school and we'd have exams or get our report cards i'd react differently than the other kids. I'd physically feel ill and i clearly remember on several occasions telling my friends how i always had this weird feeling that 'something bad was going to happen'. i was always fearing the worst and i'd get super emotional while watching the news. So i know now that anxiety had been manifesting itself within me for years before i even had my first panic attack. And very often these personality traits are formed by our environment while growing up.

Psychological abuse

Sexual abuse

Physical abuse

Spiritual abuse

Alcoholism

Critical parent

Overprotective parent

Suppression of feelings (or denial of)

Rigidity in Rules and/or beliefs

Appearance Emphasis/ Performance Emphasis

Separation anxiety (or loss of loved one)

Panic parent

Role reversal (Child cares for parent)

I know for sure that the reason i've got such high anxiety levels is because of my Parents. I had a great childhood. but my teenage years were difficult. a lot of family problems made me very unsure about myself, low self-esteem. I started to fear the world. I'm terrified of my mom. I love her more than anything, but she makes me scared. She's extremely critical and i doubt myself constantly. This is what has caused me to be very fearful of everything.
Anxiety can be caused by a lot of things but for me i know it's my personality that made me prone to it. It was bound to happen but it doesn't mean i can't change the way i am. I've been a pushover all my life, but now i've learnt to be stronger.

dazza
10-21-2012, 03:56 AM
I can relate to a lot of those and have little doubt we all share some of those attributes - which are linked to the situation we face today.

I'm incredibly creative actually (without being modest).
I was knocking out accurate pencil drawings at age 9 - which were nothing short of amazing for my age.
I was already into programming & electronics as a kid and had a video game published in a magazine at age 13.

I'm multi-talented, yet have suffered shyness all my life.

I "get off" on people admiring what I do, from DIY to drawing, from writing software to playing the guitar, from designing animations to gardening...
I love the praise, the "oooh that's fantastic"... the "i'm impressed", it gives me a massive buzz & a great feeling of self worth.

I tend to excel in everything I do, from the belief that something's not worth doing unless it's done VERY well.
For the most part this is a good & rewarding outlook, but when things don't go the way I'd hoped - I feel I've let myself (& others) down.

I'm also overly image conscious. I've always thought that if I'm not looking good then I'm just another face in the crowd, which I feel particularly uncomfortable with. I like to stand out... I like to be admired.

We / I can laugh at the above, but they're actually quite serious issues for me and are greatly related to my current anxiety issues.

jhunter89
10-21-2012, 04:22 AM
Wow I'm the complete opposite! Zero creativity, any imagination I had is gone. I have no talent and put little effort into anything I do. I want to blend in, go unnoticed. If someone pays me a compliment, I cringe and feel horrible!

dazza
10-21-2012, 04:27 AM
Wow I'm the complete opposite! Zero creativity, any imagination I had is gone. I have no talent and put little effort into anything I do. I want to blend in, go unnoticed. If someone pays me a compliment, I cringe and feel horrible!

Hey babe... you're looking HOT today ;-)

jhunter89
10-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Hey babe... you're looking HOT today ;-)

*hides*
You tryin to make me feel bad? lol
If someone said that to me, Omg I'd go red as a beetroot and want the earth to swallow me up lol I'd assume they were taking the piss ofcourse.

lsapphirel
10-21-2012, 10:12 AM
Wow, dazza, i can say i am like you in a way, i love to draw, i love to mess around with scripted notes on a program, i can do almost anything perfectly.
I too am conscious much about my looks, i do not like anything that everyone else have or do, or whatever.
I always want to be different and of course, to stand out.
I am deff not arrogant in anyway.
Although, i dont like the attention much, i just love to be different.
Well not with anxiety though. Speaking of which, its been days since i had one, only im having the symptoms still, like the burping, and breatheless and nose bridge pain, leg pains.
I wonder if im "cured". Oops, the what ifs :P

MainerMikeBrown
10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Physical size can also be a factor when it comes to how nervous someone is (a nervous personality). I used to be very skinny and sort of frail looking years ago. So that made me more vulnerable in general. Hence, I became a rather nervous person as I grew up.