PDA

View Full Version : Freeway fear

Hopeful
04-07-2007, 02:17 PM
I brief history. As long as I can remember I think I have had anxiety, but it was always mild until last March. I started getting all sorts of symptoms. I started getting dizzy all the time, my heart started pounding. I would have a hard time sleeping because I thought I would die in my sleep. I started getting afraid of driving. I used to love driving.

In December I finally figured out that I have anxiety. Founding out was the best medicine for me. I still get symptoms but when I do I tell myself that it’s just anxiety & I feeling better. I am sleeping well now because I know it’s just my anxiety. I am also excising & eating better.

Here is my problem, I feeling like I have come a long way but there is one thing that I can’t get over & it’s driving me nut. I am now able to drive with no problems except the freeway. The last time I drove on the freeway I got dizzy & my hands went numb. To me those are two things that shouldn’t happen while driving. I was on an overpass the other day I thought I wonder if I could drive on the freeway. I looked down & started getting dizzy just thinking about it. If someone else is driving the car on the freeway I feel better but still a little nervous. I also have 2 kids that are always in the car with me & I want to make sure they are safe. I think that has to play in it as well. I always try to convince myself that all I can do is drive the best that I can & if something is going to happen it’s going to happen regardless. It’s not helping though.

I have a friend that just moved 40 minutes away, all freeway to get there. She has been begging me to go see her new house. I told her that I have anxiety & I was afraid of freeways. She said that she understood but sounded very disappointed. I really want to be able to drive on the freeway & go see my friends house.

Any ideas of what I can do?

Sorry this is so long.

Thanks,

DiorGrL23
04-09-2007, 12:53 PM
hmm i hate the freeway also, but i have to take it 2 times a week, it sux!!

I would say maybe have someone go with you who can drive and you can lay back and relax?

Or just try driving a little at a time till you get there even if you have to turn around 100 times?

Thats what i did, i HATED the freeway so much untill one day my mom went with me and she told me to drive untill i felt i had to get off the freeway- i did that about 30 times.

Hopeful
04-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Thank you so much for your suggustion. I guess I just going to have to make myself go a little bit at a time.

Music_lover
04-13-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't drive yet but driving on the freeway is scary enough for em to even think about. I hate driving long places, because I get a lot of anxiety and nervous and shakey and my mouth gets dry and a bunch of stuff starts happening and it's horrible.

I agree with DiorGrL23. Maybe, also trying to mentally picture yourself driving on the freeway and picturing how it would be. Not the dizzyness and everything, but how it is just like driving down a street. Just picture how easy it is and picture yourself calm.

I would also try the whole drivingn till you can't and turning around and doing it again. That's what I've heard to do with a few other things, it should help, or at least give you some confidence to keep trying and knowing it will be okay.

Good luck

-Holly

Hopeful
04-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Thank you Holly.

I'll will give both of those a try. I know that I do it, I just don't know when.

dna_hard
05-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Obviously everyone has their own fears and those fears may seem rediculous / irrational to others. This fear that you have is a real fear and I can understand as I have and had my own rediculous fears that other people do not understand and some may even think its funny

For instance, i would rather be on the freeway hauling ass (i wanna get to my destination as fast as possible) then on a busy street stopped at a light where I have time to look at all the cars around me, that makes me feel abit trapped! Think that the freeway is going to get you where you gotta go alot faster, im scared of heights but i can get over a bridge fast in a car so it does not really bother me. If you can make your car your safe place like you do your house, things would be easier for you. Perhaps you are scared of going fast or loosing control on the freeway, that may be the main root of your fear? Sometimes i do ask my wife to drive because i am more relaxed sitting shotgun! You must have the right mindset before getting on the freeway, if you fear the fwy before you get on it, you have already set the anxiety in motion. my suggestion is to practice getting in the right mindset and over time the fear will fade just like any other fear! the more you run, the worst it gets...

Build a creative image of what you would do if you had to get away from where you live very fast because of incoming danger, i bet the fwy would be a relief at that point... get my point?

I have found myself alot stronger then I initially thought especially when i was forced to do things I did not want to do.

Paul_H
09-09-2008, 02:50 AM
Hi Hopeful and all,

Most of my panic attacks involved driving. But here's the thing, I only had panic attacks when driving up and down larger hills. The size of the hills were of the type that would make your ears pop. I would like for you to take a serious look at the post i made on this board at the following UrL:

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3746

Please comment on it if you feel it may apply to you.

Paul.