PDA

View Full Version : Scared to fly

tep2007
10-18-2012, 01:23 PM
Hey everyone.. Iv been doing ok the last few weeks, anxiety and panic free.. But today it came back.. My grandmother is really sick.. We're expecting her to pass away any hour amy min.. : (((( im very depressed and anxious..i have to fly to Greece tomorrow to be with her.. Its an 11 hr

tep2007
10-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Flight.. Just thinking about it makes me panic.. I dont know what to do.... I really want to see her... Im soo anxious an depressed right now... What if i have a huge panic attack on the plane.. And worst when i see her on thAt condition

tep2007
10-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Do u think valium will help..??!! And im sorry to hear abt your mom.. My mom passes away too and thats how my anxiety started : (

vonnhelsing
10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
i'm going through the exact same thing. literally. my grandma is dying. she's in korea and i need to go see her. i'm absolutely terrified and feeling so so so guilty cause im thinking of cancelling. the thought of getting on a plane and being in another country makes my anxiety sky-rocket. dont know what to do. i'm not on any medications, don't really want to take any meds. it'll be scary in the beginning but i think once you're there and you know okay so im here no turning back then you'll be okay. we can do this!

tep2007
10-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I hope soo.. Im not taking meds either.. I never did on my life.. Just when i think ant planes makes my anxiety go bad.. Im soo scared.. But i have to be there for my grandma nometter what

Slammed Vdub
10-18-2012, 11:00 PM
i share that fear. I was never able to fly, and i am to scared to fly. But i know its no big deal. I just cant get myself to believe that.

dazza
10-19-2012, 12:55 AM
I used to be fine on planes, or at least had normal, manageable levels of anxiety like most people - but since anxiety disorder struck, flying has become a bit of a problem.

The thing is, worrying about flying (or worrying about anything) is always a million times worse than actually doing it.
Once you're on the plane it's not anywhere near as bad.

I wish anxious folk wouldn't avoid anti-anxiety medication. A lot of people take valium for flying... it's such a good / calming feeling. Just makes you sleepy, that's all!
Not good if taken everyday over long periods, but perfect for getting you through high-anxiety events.

laurandisorder
10-19-2012, 01:38 AM
One of my biggest fears is about flying - not because I have ever had an anxiety attack on a plane, but because I have God-awful nightmares about plane crashes on at least a weekly basis.

Living in Australia, I HAVE to fly to get anywhere. In the past three years (since anxiety struck), I have managed 6 flights with the help of Valium. I take two before the flight and one during if I am still feeling bad. I also ensure I pack lots of distractions - a good familiar book, some relaxing music on a playlist and my good old triceratops pillow pet.

The Valium allows me to fly panic free. I would highly advise seeing your doctor and getting a script - it is worth it. Especially in times like these when you have to fly.

Understand that your stress levels will already be agitated because you are going through the trauma of losing a loved one. I am really sorry you have to go through this experience, but you will regret it if anxiety leaves you on the ground.

Be brave - I am yet to experience anything other than mild anxiety mid flight thanks to Valium - in fact, after an hour or so I usually sleep.

Good luck.

tep2007
10-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I got some Valium today.. Im gonna give it a try today to see if they work.. I know it sounds stupid, but i never took medications before

tep2007
10-19-2012, 02:21 PM
It feels great actually.. I havent felt like this in a long time

tep2007
10-19-2012, 02:31 PM
I hope not.. Im gonna take them only when i need them.. I dont want to solve a problem by causing an other one

tep2007
10-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Wat kind of drug is less addictive?? Im sorry for asking so many questions.. And i really appreciate ur help xoxo

knp
10-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Just want to share that I have tried natural supplement that can help with anxiety

L theanine calms anxiety thoughts I take up to 300 mg and it really gives calmness

Inositol I take as tolerated up to 700 mg
It helps with physical symptoms of anxiety

Rescue remedy a great stress reliever