PDA

View Full Version : Medication?

anon78
10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this forum but believe I have been suffering from varying degrees of anxiety for the past 10 years.

I am 34 with 2 children and my anxiety symptoms do seem to have magnified after the birth of my second son.

Basically I suffer from anxiety during most types of social situations. However recently I was made redundant and have embarked on a new career in a school. My anxiety has peaked over the last 4 weeks.

Most days I feel dizzy, my heart is racing and in group situations I feel my face burning up and my chest and neck become covered in red blotches.

I have been to the doctors many times and tried anti depressants but stopped after 4 weeks as noticed no difference.

Are there medications I could speak to my doctor about that may work better?

Justy
10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Hi there, thanks for sharing! I was made redundant a couple of years ago but lucky to find a new job almost straight away. The whole situation still had a negative impact on me psychologically, the sense of being surplus to requirements and constantly asking myself why me, what did I do wrong? Two years later and I love my new job, it's so much better than the one I had to leave, but I still wouldn't wish the experience of redundancy on anyone though. I hope your new job is going well.
I know very little about medications, others on here are better placed to advise, but I'd say try every other method first because you might just find something (or a combination of things) which does the trick without the need to take medications. There's some great advice on this forum, it's helped me, made me smile, and better understand what's going on inside my body. So I hope the forum can help you too - good luck!

agraves911
10-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Well I'm not a doctor or anything but if you are anxious then an antidepressant is only one option for you. I am on lexapro and it is an anti anxiety medication as an antidepressant. It has worked wonders with me.

anon78
10-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Thanks so much for your replies I am hoping doctor can provide some medication to help ease the symptoms of the anxiety then I can also work on building my confidence.