PDA

View Full Version : so mad !

Audrey00
10-12-2012, 10:53 AM
I have been dealing with Anxiety for a while now. I had a doctors appt today & I brought it up to my doctor that I would like some medication. He seriously said no. And that I need to see a counselor!

Siegfried
10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
What type of medication were you asking for?

dazza
10-12-2012, 11:02 AM
What type of medication were you asking for?

Horse tranquilizers!

Naaayyyyyyyy!

dazza
10-12-2012, 11:04 AM
I have been dealing with Anxiety for a while now. I had a doctors appt today & I brought it up to my doctor that I would like some medication. He seriously said no. And that I need to see a counselor!

Then your doc. has your best interest at heart.

They tend to make you try the therapy route first and if that doesn't work... THEN they'll start dishing out the meds.

Perhaps he is also concerned you may become addicted?

Audrey00
10-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Something to help me with my nerves

Buttercup
10-13-2012, 03:44 AM
All doctors are different and some will only prescribe meds for anxiety as a last resort. In a way I wish I had tried therapy before starting meds but then I do feel it was the meds that helped me get to a point where I could leave the house to attend sessions. I think maybe now I am bitter that I have been on SSRI's for almost 13 years and when I try to stop the withdrawls are just too much even when the dose is gradually reduced. I wish I had been prescribed beta blockers at the start of all of this and not an SSRI. I got beta blockers several months ago when i was going through a bad period and they were a god send!
Anyway, people that have experience of meds all have positive and negative stories going by what worked best for them and what didn't. I feel that going down the route of meds should not be taken lightly but as forwells said, meds with therapy is usually the most successful when it comes to treating anxiety and depression. You just have to weigh up the pros and cons and your doctor should be able to go through these with you.