PDA

View Full Version : Scared to take the flu shot

trinidiva
10-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I have gotten the flu shot for both of my kids in past years, no problems...and I plan on getting it for them again this year. I'm thinking that for the first time, I might take it. I'm seriously scared of needles and any side effects I could have from the shot. I'm going on vacation next week, and I'm not sure if I should just wait till I get back to take it, or if I should hightail it to my doctors office and get it taken care of before the trip next week.HELP!!!!

dazza
10-08-2012, 11:48 PM
You need to read up / ask doctor about the facts, especially where side-effects are concerned.

If I were you, I'd be worried that the vaccine may caused side-effects which could effect my vacation.

Aparently; severe side-effects are very rare. However, less severe side-effects are fairly common - like runny nose, sore throat, headache & a cough.

Personally I'd sway toward caution and get the vaccine after the vacation, but it's up to you - based on an informed judgement.

Buttercup
10-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Do you need the vaccine? the only people i know that get it come under certain categories- older people, those with underlying health issues and medical professionals who come into contact with very sick patients. If you don't fall into these categories then there isn't a great need to get it. Most people have no side effects but some do so if you are going to get it then I'd wait until after your vaccation.

MeToo
10-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Which is worse-having the flu on vacation or having a brief headache or sore arm after a flu shot? Even fit healthy people can be struck down by the flu and be bedridden for at least 3 days, there was a woman here that died from flu a few months ago even though she had never been sick in her life, she did pilates, yoga and was said to be generally healthy and she hadn't been vaccinated. I've had the shot every year for the last 10 years, no issues

trinidiva
10-09-2012, 01:47 PM
See, I don't want to even think about people dying from the flu.....ugh...I really don't want to deal with the side effects, or the shot itself, but I REALLY do not want the flu.

trinidiva
10-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Thanks Kev,
You ar

trinidiva
10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks Kev
You are absolutely right....I wouldn't give it to my kids if I thought it was terrible.. I just think, like you said, I overanalyze things..... If I was put on the spot,I would of just gotten it and it would of been over with.....

I've decided to get it, but I think I will wait until I get back from my trip. I don't want to take any chances that I get side effects.......

trinidiva
10-10-2012, 06:38 PM
I got it today, and no side effects so far!!!!!!!!! Yeah!!!!!!!