PDA

View Full Version : Increased anxiety that won't pass.

ashley27e
10-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi, I have dealt with anxiety and occasional panic attacks for years. Usually medication (celexa) keeps it under control.

I have a really hard time whenever I'm worried about a loved one. In recent years, that has been my cat. He's 18 and I love him dearly. I've had him since I was 8. So understandably whenever something is wrong, I panic. But usually when he is back to normal, I relax. If he's fine, I'm fine. This past week -- not the case. His foot was bothering him, as well as arthritis-- and I was worried sick. But he's improving, and seems pretty good now. So I should relax, right? You would think so. But I am still anxious, shaky, loss of appetite, upset stomach... I cannot calm down. I keep thinking negative thoughts about what could or might happen.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Will it pass? Should I change my meds? What can I do? This is miserable. Any advice is appreciated.

raggamuffin
10-08-2012, 02:10 AM
You should look into CBT. Medication will only mask symptoms and in turn may well create new one's. It's best to address the worry that you have which is more destructive than the anxiety itself. Once you begin to accept all the symptoms you experience are from worry and anxiety you can go about trying to change the way you react to the moments when you feel pains etc. You need to remind yourself that there is nothing to fear. It's just your body reacting to month upon month of stress and worry. Months of adrenaline built up inside your body with nowhere to go and no outlet to fully relax. You've probably heard about the fight or flight response or brain has to perceived dangr. Well when we're anxious that never truly goes away, unlike an actual danger of say an angry dog in the room. Once the dog is no longer there your body feels relaxed and your brain is no longer geared up ready to react. But when the perceived danger is made up of worry and nothing more your mind and body never gets a chance to fully relax or realize that it isn't in danger.

It's very hard to accept it's all anxiety. It's all too easy to allow worries to get blown out of all proportions. But it's a destructive way of thinking that needs to be addressed. The longer you remain like this, the more entrenched your mind will be in this method of thinking. I'd book an appointment with your doctor and ask about starting CBT. There's no shame in asking others for help. DOctors believe that simply taking medication will allow the mind to let go of anxiety or depression and in time you can be weened off them and continue your life without feeling anxious. Unfortunately this is very rarely the conclusion. It'd be best to tackle anxiety with CBT and perhaps medication too if the therapist recommends it.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Distraction is very helpful to take your mind away from the constant worry and stress. Also, whenever you feel anxious or get a symptom remember to inhale slowly and breath out in a long drawn out process. Tell yourself over and over "I'm am fine, I am safe" remember it's all just anxiety and you should start to calm down. It's no wonder the body causes pains and symptoms when you've felt anxious for so long. It's constantly ready to defend itself against perceived danger and doesn't get a moment to truly rest. Thus people get all sorts of pains.

Anyways, hope this was of some help.

Ed

ashley27e
10-09-2012, 03:56 AM
Thank you for your response.

Now my cat won't eat and I am freaking out. I do not have the tools to handle this...