PDA

View Full Version : Constant anxiety about money and career

dodobun
10-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Does anyone else worry about their career and money?

I'm currently in my late twenties and work in an industry where I have to be finding new jobs every few months because of the contract project based nature of the job. I finally landed a permanent job, but I don't believe its permanent, that I will either not perform to standard and be fired or that the company will go under, or will run out of work and I'll be laid off.

I just constantly stress about the unemployment rates, read stories about older people who struggle in later life with no savings etc

I looking to go into the public sector because that seems a bit more stable for me. I'm terrified of being homeless or even in a home but with no money for food or heating in my old age.

dazza
10-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Everyone worries about career and money... it's one of our (humans) biggest concerns. Money dictates our quality of life.

A recent post I put up on here, asking if a lottery win would help with their anxieties... most replies suggested it would, if not partially... completely!

I'm a cautious fellow... I would also go for the safer (as opposed to better money but high risk) jobs.

You should also look to work for a company which looks after it's staff in terms of pension & health care.

Picasso99
08-21-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm so glad to have found this forum and wonder if I may ask some advice?

I studied Fine Art at Uni, then had a time as an Artist, in the recession and naivly got lead along but an 'Agent' who didn't help me one bit (but was an experience)...which meant I had to take other work. I retrained as a Legal PA (recession proof and stable), which looking back I am glad I did, I was very good at the job and highly praised. After 3 years there with no real progression, I sought other work experience placements using my annual leave, tried Art teacher, Art therapist then finally Interior Designer. With the former being unavailable as I already have 1 student loan, I was offered a job with the Interior Designer straight away and I took it on a freelance basis for 3 days a week. My Dad being an Architect offered me the remaining 2 days to top up my wage, with a view to helping me in the short term. However I am now a year on, really struggling for money and told I will not get a payrise for a few years given the nature of the business and my experience. I'm 29, not able to save, have a social life or contribute to a pension and feel I am driving myself crazy with stress and worry. I'm not even sure the job is right for me anymore - there are things becoming evident that I wouldn't be comfortable doing as a job - nor can I afford to take the risk at even not necessarily getting any work after the 5 or 6 years experience. Not to mention the huge competition from others with vastly more experience.

Somewhere in between all this I would like a family and believe it or not a social life!! I used to be a highly sociable bubbly girl with a variety of friends - happy go lucky if you will. I now feel depressed, anxious, isolated and like a failure to my family, friends and poor boyfriend who has to put up with me.

I feel stuck now as I'm not sure I can take the risk to continue in the uncertain line of work (although it allows me to be creative), but equally what if I feel dissatisfied with my next job. I want a career and to be somebody, not just job hopping forever.

I know I'm a perfectionist and have very high expectations of myself, which I also know is not always good.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I could move forward?

Thanks

jessed03
08-21-2015, 01:10 PM
I'm so glad to have found this forum and wonder if I may ask some advice?

I studied Fine Art at Uni, then had a time as an Artist, in the recession and naivly got lead along but an 'Agent' who didn't help me one bit (but was an experience)...which meant I had to take other work. I retrained as a Legal PA (recession proof and stable), which looking back I am glad I did, I was very good at the job and highly praised. After 3 years there with no real progression, I sought other work experience placements using my annual leave, tried Art teacher, Art therapist then finally Interior Designer. With the former being unavailable as I already have 1 student loan, I was offered a job with the Interior Designer straight away and I took it on a freelance basis for 3 days a week. My Dad being an Architect offered me the remaining 2 days to top up my wage, with a view to helping me in the short term. However I am now a year on, really struggling for money and told I will not get a payrise for a few years given the nature of the business and my experience. I'm 29, not able to save, have a social life or contribute to a pension and feel I am driving myself crazy with stress and worry. I'm not even sure the job is right for me anymore - there are things becoming evident that I wouldn't be comfortable doing as a job - nor can I afford to take the risk at even not necessarily getting any work after the 5 or 6 years experience. Not to mention the huge competition from others with vastly more experience.

Somewhere in between all this I would like a family and believe it or not a social life!! I used to be a highly sociable bubbly girl with a variety of friends - happy go lucky if you will. I now feel depressed, anxious, isolated and like a failure to my family, friends and poor boyfriend who has to put up with me.

I feel stuck now as I'm not sure I can take the risk to continue in the uncertain line of work (although it allows me to be creative), but equally what if I feel dissatisfied with my next job. I want a career and to be somebody, not just job hopping forever.

I know I'm a perfectionist and have very high expectations of myself, which I also know is not always good.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I could move forward?

Thanks

Welcome to the club, Picasso.

If I were you, I'd be tempted to do whatever I needed to do to put a stash of money behind me. You've heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, right? One of the most fundamental needs a person has is financial security. While creativity is vastly important, creativity alone isn't going to make the average person happy. Not if their more basic needs aren't met. I believe that's why you've seen slight personality changes occur. You're sort of reaching for the top of the pyramid - self-actualization - without having taken care of all the lower stages first.

For that reason, I'd be much more tempted, for now, to err on the side of financial benefits. That doesn't mean you have to drop your creative side or forget about it. You can plan to come back to work that inspires you, or plan to express yourself in a different way. I just think it'll be a lot more enjoyable if you aren't worrying about making enough to live on. Starving artists are pretty admirable, but I don't see too many that are shout from the rooftops happy.

You may very well feel dissatisfied in your next job, but it sounds like you feel awfully dissatisfied now, too. People don't loose their happy-go-lucky nature if they're feeling fulfilled. :)

Picasso99
08-22-2015, 04:26 AM
Welcome to the club, Picasso.

If I were you, I'd be tempted to do whatever I needed to do to put a stash of money behind me. You've heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, right? One of the most fundamental needs a person has is financial security. While creativity is vastly important, creativity alone isn't going to make the average person happy. Not if their more basic needs aren't met. I believe that's why you've seen slight personality changes occur. You're sort of reaching for the top of the pyramid - self-actualization - without having taken care of all the lower stages first.

For that reason, I'd be much more tempted, for now, to err on the side of financial benefits. That doesn't mean you have to drop your creative side or forget about it. You can plan to come back to work that inspires you, or plan to express yourself in a different way. I just think it'll be a lot more enjoyable if you aren't worrying about making enough to live on. Starving artists are pretty admirable, but I don't see too many that are shout from the rooftops happy.

You may very well feel dissatisfied in your next job, but it sounds like you feel awfully dissatisfied now, too. People don't loose their happy-go-lucky nature if they're feeling fulfilled. :)

Thanks so much for your feedback jessed03 - I hadn't heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs but I can now see what you mean - I think this is entrenched in me naturally and my sensible side is favouring this. I think because people know me as the arty one who doesn't do the standard 9-5 job they try and urge me to pursue it, which whilst being sweet I now need honesty and realism - after all this isn't their life is it!