PDA

View Full Version : What I Fear Most

Billdog
10-04-2012, 07:21 PM
I've had anxiety my entire adult life. It first expressed itself during my teen years through minor flare ups of OCD, punctuated by bouts of depression. When I was around 17 or 18, the OCD became full blown and crippled me for years. It was only through medication and years of therapy that I was able to function at all in society.

The nature (and subject matter) of my obsessions and compulsions have varied widely throughout the years - but one obsession has proven to be immensely powerful. For me, it's the ultimate scary thought.

The obsession centers around a particular manifestation of my anxiety - a cluster of obsessional, perceptual and somatic symptoms that occur simultaneously and (thank God) infrequently. However, just because these symptoms are infrequent doesn't keep me from spending a lot of time obsessively worrying about them - and that they will one day drive me crazy. Paradoxically, if I spend too much time worrying about this particular kind of anxiety atack, it can bring it on. So, I try to shut off all thoughts and memories of it - not always an easy task for an obsessional person like me.

I'm an MSW by profession - with past experience as a clinical therapist. So, I've poured over the DSM for clues as to what this thing might be and- as far as I can tell - it seems to contain elements of the following disorders: a routine panic attack, depersonalization and hyper-vigilance.

It may start with me feeling a little anxious, or "not myself," then I will start thinking: Oh my God. This is it! I'm about to have another attack. Then I will start to quietly (very discreetly) go into a near hysterical panic. This all happens inside. No one would ever know, because I fake "normal" so well. But inside my body, it's like the lower decks of the Titanic right after she's hit the iceberg. The water is rushing in and everyone is screaming their heads off "We're gonna die! We're gonna die!"

While all this is going on, the hyper-vigilance kicks in, and some part of my brain begins monitoring every minute perception, every somatic fluctuation - looking for any anomalies that might indicate a loss of control. The chest constricts, the clamy cold sweat begins. Naturally, this feeds the whole cycle of anxiety, depersonalization, hyper-vigilance and (curiously) OCD. The obsessional component is the strongest - because it LOCKS onto the whole crazy crisis going on inside my body. I can walk around, do things, even interact with people, but the crazy shit is still going on inside - like some hacker virus silently running in the background of my computer, destroying every file it finds. This is not to say I'm functioning normally while this shit is going on. I feel the panic inside, so quiet, yet so balls-to-the-wall hysterical.

Plus, my perceptions are effected. Things seem to go a little blurry - hence the depersonalization component. I become hyper-acutely aware of every sound, every tactile sensation, every movement - with concern for any movement that might be too fast (as indicative of the panicky hyseria tearing away at my insides). That inner hysteria is like a low-level fever consuming me from the inside out - a slow motion nuclear bomb detonation. My feelings don't function appropriately during these episodes. This is horrific for me, because I'm a person who FEELS his way through the world. I've learned to trust my feelings and intuition in most situations. They are usually more reliable than my logic. But when I'm going through one of these nightmarish episodes, my feelings and intuitions go right off the tracks. It's horrible. Honestly, the best words I can use to describe this whole experience is: It's like dying inside.

Strangely - or perhaps not so strangely - is the compulsive component to all this. When I'm going through one of these soul-killing episodes it feels as if I need to perform some action, some ritual, to make it all go away. The problem is, that compulsive ritual is not always clear.

Whenever I hear people talk about successful treatment programs for anxiety disorders, I 'm tempted to dismiss them with the thought "That's for people who suffer from straight on anxiety, or panic attacks, or even OCD; but they don't have this weird cluster of pscho symptoms that I obsess about."

I've had panic attacks, and anxiety, and depression - and they're all terrible - but it seems like this is different, even though it contains elements from several different disorders. This cluster of symptoms strikes fear in my heart like nothing I've ever known. Were it to (God forbid) ever take me over, I don't think I'd have any option left but suicide. THAT'S how much it frightens me. And, like all anxiety triggers, any thought of it, any recollection of how if "feels," any external association with a time or place when I had an attack - provokes a strong, fearful response. It's always "What if" with this fear. Like "What if THIS time, it destroys me."

I guess what I want to know is, have any of you ever experienced anything like this before? Or, have any of you clinicians worked with clients reporting similar symptoms?

Thanks for reading, and I apologize for the long-winded post.

Billdog

laurandisorder
10-04-2012, 08:41 PM
This sounds very much like the anxiety and panic attacks that I deal with regularly.

And the main problem for me is that they don't subside until I remove myself from whatever I perceive to be the stressor, when on fact the real stressor is the panic and the symptoms themselves. These attacks can last hours and with the warped perception of time I have, each minute seems like hours in themselves.

I can fake normal interactions - I'm 'not myself', but I can carry on - I feel I have to carry on (because I'm freaking embarrassed about what happens to me!). If I am still in symptom spiral hell after an hour, I'll take a Valium and usually start to feel better.

I am currently doing CBT to deal with this. Unfortunately going to my therapist (or being in a room alone with any stranger) is triggering my symptoms right now.

The good news is that it ebbs and flows. It dissappears for months at a time and then rears its ugly head again! Like you, if it were constant, I wouldn't want to live - its too much of a fight.

Good luck with your struggle. You definitely aren't alone!

dazza
10-05-2012, 12:45 AM
WOW... one of, if not THE most evocative descriptions of "fight or flight" mode I've read. Well done for putting it into words so vividly.

Anyone who suffers severe anxiety and panic attacks will have endured similar if not the exact same. Myself included.
I know how desperately horrific these "episodes" feel.
I know how, at the peak, there seems like nowhere to run, nothing to do except explode into a million pieces and get it over and done with...

Funny though. I've been there a hundred times but I'm still here. Sitting comfortably at my desk, typing away with a smile on my face as if none of it ever happened. Like it was all just a bad dream.

Rest assured that, as god-awful as it seems at the time, it won't destroy you.
It might leave you exhausted / aching / shaking / sweating... but remember... you've just been through man's (and all living creatures) ultimate fear - the fear of possible death, which fight or flight essentially is.

In the short-term, I found diazepam helped ease these brutal attacks.
In the mid-term, several cognetive therapy sessions helped lower my general anxiety.

lsapphirel
10-05-2012, 06:43 AM
I think i need to borrow this and show it to my husband and family. Lol, they think im crazy haha. I have the titanic movie i can play and show them what you wrote at the same time. At least they have an idea of what is going on.

daisy84279
10-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Plus, my perceptions are effected. Things seem to go a little blurry

For me, things almost look"cartoony" when I'm having an attack. I can't really describe it other than that. And it gets difficult for me to read and actually understand what I'm reading. I'm also frightened by the "what ifs" What if this really isn't a panic attack? What if something is really wrong? What if I'm about the have a stroke or an aneurysm? What if this feeling never goes away? I understand you completely. I really like your description of the Titanic. That is a perfect example of what happens to me too.

inzombiac
10-05-2012, 09:09 PM
I've had anxiety my entire adult life. It first expressed itself during my teen years through minor flare ups of OCD, punctuated by bouts of depression. When I was around 17 or 18, the OCD became full blown and crippled me for years. It was only through medication and years of therapy that I was able to function at all in society.

The nature (and subject matter) of my obsessions and compulsions have varied widely throughout the years - but one obsession has proven to be immensely powerful. For me, it's the ultimate scary thought.

The obsession centers around a particular manifestation of my anxiety - a cluster of obsessional, perceptual and somatic symptoms that occur simultaneously and (thank God) infrequently. However, just because these symptoms are infrequent doesn't keep me from spending a lot of time obsessively worrying about them - and that they will one day drive me crazy. Paradoxically, if I spend too much time worrying about this particular kind of anxiety atack, it can bring it on. So, I try to shut off all thoughts and memories of it - not always an easy task for an obsessional person like me.

I'm an MSW by profession - with past experience as a clinical therapist. So, I've poured over the DSM for clues as to what this thing might be and- as far as I can tell - it seems to contain elements of the following disorders: a routine panic attack, depersonalization and hyper-vigilance.

It may start with me feeling a little anxious, or "not myself," then I will start thinking: Oh my God. This is it! I'm about to have another attack. Then I will start to quietly (very discreetly) go into a near hysterical panic. This all happens inside. No one would ever know, because I fake "normal" so well. But inside my body, it's like the lower decks of the Titanic right after she's hit the iceberg. The water is rushing in and everyone is screaming their heads off "We're gonna die! We're gonna die!"

While all this is going on, the hyper-vigilance kicks in, and some part of my brain begins monitoring every minute perception, every somatic fluctuation - looking for any anomalies that might indicate a loss of control. The chest constricts, the clamy cold sweat begins. Naturally, this feeds the whole cycle of anxiety, depersonalization, hyper-vigilance and (curiously) OCD. The obsessional component is the strongest - because it LOCKS onto the whole crazy crisis going on inside my body. I can walk around, do things, even interact with people, but the crazy shit is still going on inside - like some hacker virus silently running in the background of my computer, destroying every file it finds. This is not to say I'm functioning normally while this shit is going on. I feel the panic inside, so quiet, yet so balls-to-the-wall hysterical.

Plus, my perceptions are effected. Things seem to go a little blurry - hence the depersonalization component. I become hyper-acutely aware of every sound, every tactile sensation, every movement - with concern for any movement that might be too fast (as indicative of the panicky hyseria tearing away at my insides). That inner hysteria is like a low-level fever consuming me from the inside out - a slow motion nuclear bomb detonation. My feelings don't function appropriately during these episodes. This is horrific for me, because I'm a person who FEELS his way through the world. I've learned to trust my feelings and intuition in most situations. They are usually more reliable than my logic. But when I'm going through one of these nightmarish episodes, my feelings and intuitions go right off the tracks. It's horrible. Honestly, the best words I can use to describe this whole experience is: It's like dying inside.

Strangely - or perhaps not so strangely - is the compulsive component to all this. When I'm going through one of these soul-killing episodes it feels as if I need to perform some action, some ritual, to make it all go away. The problem is, that compulsive ritual is not always clear.

Whenever I hear people talk about successful treatment programs for anxiety disorders, I 'm tempted to dismiss them with the thought "That's for people who suffer from straight on anxiety, or panic attacks, or even OCD; but they don't have this weird cluster of pscho symptoms that I obsess about."

I've had panic attacks, and anxiety, and depression - and they're all terrible - but it seems like this is different, even though it contains elements from several different disorders. This cluster of symptoms strikes fear in my heart like nothing I've ever known. Were it to (God forbid) ever take me over, I don't think I'd have any option left but suicide. THAT'S how much it frightens me. And, like all anxiety triggers, any thought of it, any recollection of how if "feels," any external association with a time or place when I had an attack - provokes a strong, fearful response. It's always "What if" with this fear. Like "What if THIS time, it destroys me."

I guess what I want to know is, have any of you ever experienced anything like this before? Or, have any of you clinicians worked with clients reporting similar symptoms?

Thanks for reading, and I apologize for the long-winded post.

Billdog

Everything you described to a T is exactly me.....and I'm positive many many others. I also suffer from other things rather than just anxiety and panic attacks. I'm also bipolar with OCD. I think the worst part is when you're thinking you need to perform some kind of weird ritual to make it go away and you just don't know what the hell to do. I wish I could say it will all get better but I'm not sure of that but I can say you're definitely not alone.

Billdog
10-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful, compassionate responses. I wanna say it's nice to know I'm not alone - but I wouldn't wish these symptoms on my worst enemy. And as Dazza accurately pointed out, this is NOT going to kill me - so I just need to remember that. All of us dealing with anxiety disorders need to remember that. Today's my 55th birthday and I'm devoting this new year to emotional (and physical) wellness. To that end I just started the "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" program through the Midwest Center - which includes relaxation and vitamin therapy. I've always been remarkably LAZY about treating my anxiety - always preferring to pop a pill over doing the more potentially promising work of CBT. Not anymore. This year I steer a new course - and hopefully avoid that iceberg ;)

Forestwind
10-13-2012, 04:16 AM
Anxiety is hell :(

lsapphirel
10-13-2012, 09:31 AM
Happy birthday!!

Justy
10-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Such a great description - especially the 'faking being normal' which I can totally empathise with, it's exactly how I feel when this happens at work and no one has a clue that inside I have this mounting feeling of dread and turmoil which wants to take over. For me it takes a few hours to subside. I am starting to find certain things do help when this happens in the workplace, either at the time or even better to stop it coming on in the first place. For me, moving around more is good, so I make myself get up and walk, so I don't get stuck in front of my computer monitor for too long at a time. And posture seems to make a difference too, as hunching or slouching seems to stop air getting right down into my lungs properly. Lots of camomile tea, and a little laughter is good too! Best wishes.

firefly06
10-14-2012, 04:22 PM
I've faked being normal for so long I can't even remember... At least people here understand it, (thank god)