PDA

View Full Version : Saw a counselor and now I seem a little more edgy??

TheDude
10-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I think it has something to do with the fact that I know I need to make some life changes, but I'm having a really hard time making those changes. I'm letting my anxiety win and letting it change my life negatively. And just talking about some of the hardships I've been through this year kind of made them fresh in my mind again. I suppose I just have a really hard time facing my fears. How do you gather the strength to face them? My counselor said "Just fake it til you make it." What do you think?

dazza
10-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Spills the beans, Dude... WHAT ARE those fears and life changes?

trinidiva
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Agreed....what is it that is bothering you?

TheDude
10-01-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm afraid I messed my mind up with shrooms. I'm afraid my future is out of my control right now because I can't go to school. I need to start making changes to get ready to be an independent adult, because I've been a kid my whole life and it feels like such a big change. I need to change my thought processes so I stop worrying myself to death. I need to confront my fears instead of running away from them and I've never been good at that.

TheDude
10-01-2012, 04:19 PM
I also think I'm extremely self conscious and worry about being accepted by society, and being afraid that society doesn't except me makes me feel alienated.

dazza
10-01-2012, 04:22 PM
It's OK to be afraid, Dude. We ALL have to take BIG steps once in a while... that's life.

The worst part if fearing the steps... actually DOING them is never anywhere near as bad as we thought (it's true)

Fear or worry is a pointless emotion. It gets you no-where / doesn't help / hinders you / stops you from progressing.

The world is YOURS for the taking. You can do anything and everything.
Go grab it and don't let silly old anxiety stop you...

TheDude
10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks. I won't. The first step is always the hardest. I know in time I'll get better, I just lack direction and I'm seeking it wherever I can. I've also been doing CBT exercises and I think they're helping too. I suppose I just had some repressed memories that were brought back into the light today in therapy. Thanks again :)

Enduronman
10-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Thats exactly what it was..just agitation and an uncomfortable feeling created by discussing the issues that disturb you the most. I get that all too well. Even when I try to prevent talkin about things that are now engrained into my mind and someone brings them up and barges in...I wish to throw them back the f**k out the door asap.
My case is probably alot different as there's a few topics that seem to come up almost daily and it is those I wished to figure my way around on my own. I do hope the therapy is useful to you DUDE..

Mr. E