PDA

View Full Version : Quit smoking and wiggin out!

TheWhiteRabbit
09-27-2012, 07:05 PM
I quit smoking about 9 days ago and now I'm wiggin out! I'm so emotionally all over the freakin place. My anxiety seems to be ok except I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack at times. Has anyone quit smoking here? Do all these damn emotions go away? I'm seriously upset about
Everything.
everythigeverything

TheWhiteRabbit
09-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Never mind the everything's at the bottom of my post my phone messed up. Lol

AceParadox
09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
I've never quit smoking cigarettes, I've only quit smoking grass. However, a buddy of mine from work quit smoking, he's at about the 12 day mark. He said it got really bad for him the first 2 weeks. After that he said it drastically got better for him. He was a pack a day smoker for about 12 years.

TheWhiteRabbit
09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the encouragement as I sit here biting my nails and being weepy!

Argh!

AceParadox
09-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Aw no worries, aye. Hang in there! Just think, this little bit is for the greater good. Positive direction for good health and all that. ;]

nervousbutterflies
09-27-2012, 08:35 PM
You can do it :) I quit smoking 3 years ago and it actually made my anxiety better!!! Everyday will get easier just take it one day at a time. You are taking a step in the right direction. It helped me quit when I saw the negative consequences. Eat a lot of candy!!

TheWhiteRabbit
09-27-2012, 08:44 PM
My hubby and I are trying to get pregnant so I really need to quit. It's hard and I've already gained some weight. :-( I'm determined and I hope it does make my anxiety better. I didn't have anxiety until I tried to quit back in Feb. after about 1 week I started having panic attacks so I hope it doesn't happen again.

Chiliphil1
09-27-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm trying to quit myself, I haven't noticed any anxiety issues, so far but I am really having trouble dealing with the balloon in the chest feeling, im using an e cigarette to help, but it still ain't easy.

TheWhiteRabbit
09-27-2012, 09:37 PM
E cigarettes just made me want a real cigarette. It was a big tease. Lol.. I told myself this time cold turkey because I've tried everything else. I weaned down for about a month first and the stopped. It's still one of the hardest things I have ever done. Good luck to you!!

Enduronman
09-27-2012, 11:59 PM
I quit chewing tobacco for 9 months and was miserable company for my daughters on anyone else for that matter. it was around day 90 that things started happening as it was easy up until this point. When you've been chewing the nasty shit, it takes that long to finally exit the systems. plus. I was beginning to forget things then that were never forgotten before. Maybe that's why theyre conducting so much research about it now as it help people with alzheimers begin to remember things, with good success I might add. Chewing tobacco delivers 3 to 4 times the potency of (1) cigarette..I can not quit, its been 30 years!.

drag. I know.. Been there too..

E-man.

raggamuffin
09-28-2012, 01:21 AM
Smoked weed and tobacco for 7 years. Attempted to quit several times before each time getting longer than the last. 2 weeks then 1 month then 6 months. I'm currently on 3 months 1 week and a day. Usually I find a firm reason to quit and from there I don't really get any cravings. Last time I got horrid cravings after 6 months and stupidly caved in. As with anxiety, keep yourself distracted from smoking cravings and you'll find it helps a lot

Ed

Chiliphil1
09-28-2012, 06:16 AM
Geez kev, how do you find the time to smoke that much? Lol!

To the other commenter, yes I do find that the e cig is just a poor substitute and it doesn't seem to make me want a real cig, but it doesn't do a whole lot to not make me want one, if that makes sense. It's almost like it takes just a bit of the edge off, like if I really want one, I will use the e cig and it distracts my mind enough to let the craving pass.

All told, there is nothing easy about this regardless of how you do it, for all those who are or have quit I admire you, hopefully I can stay in this fight with you!

buckeyegirl
09-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I have ever done, but so worth it. I smoked for 16 years and quit cold turkey 7 weeks ago. I just take it one day at a time. I still carry my crutch pack with me though. It's like a security blanket for me. So that I don't stress too much, if I slip, I slip, hasn't happened yet though. I think it has helped a great deal with my anxiety. Getting rid of additional stimulants was great for me. I do still miss it like crazy, and think about it all the time, but I don't want to go back. I'll send you lots of good thoughts. We are all different so just do what is the best thing for you. I had to go spend 5 days away with people who don't smoke to jump start me. Good luck!

Buttercup
09-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I'm on the saame situation as a lot of you and am wanting to quit but finding it hard. I smoke around 20 a day and have done for around 14 years- god knows what damage it had already done to me! I always find it odd that folk like us who have anxiety and often worry about health issues do the one thing that is really really bad for our health. I have an e-cigarette but haven't really made much of an effort with it. I always find as well that no matter how skint I am I always manage to scrape together money for cigarettes! I guess if we all try and support each other it may be easier.

TheWhiteRabbit
09-28-2012, 06:47 PM
I broke down and bought a pack, but think I just like to have it as security. It made me happy to know I have it. So I'm not feeling like I'm missing something. I have been so cranky and irritable. Feel a little better knowing its there just in case but hope I don't resort. Not having a pack around made me feel worse. Thanks for all your replies. It's good to hear other people have done it!

Chiliphil1
09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
I spoke too soon, today was nuts with anxiety! It was at total peak, about as bad as it's ever been.

I suppose it's from the quiting, truth be told though I am cheating, I started using dip today, skoal pouches to be exact. They help a ton, and I figure (although most likely incorrectly) that if I can use those to break the smoking habit which is said to be the hardest part then I can take on the nicotine habit with half the battle won.

I know, dumb plan but we shall see how it goes, as far as this attempt there is no way I could have quit cold turkey, and I am not gonna even try to sound tough on that one, I could NOT have done it, period.

TheWhiteRabbit
09-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Don't kick yourself! It's really hard and you will get there!

lsapphirel
09-29-2012, 09:16 AM
a full blown panic sends my ciggie habit out of my life. lol. i was actually trying to quit before i had PA but i kept falling back into the heavy ciggie zone. its difficult. ive been smoking since 14yrs old, now im 31, can you believe it! After the PA, i just decided to quit, i definitely dont need anything for me to get worried or anxious about. lol.