PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and paralysis by analysis (philosophical discussion inside)

dice3510
09-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Hello,

For months, I've been almost completely paralyzed by a vicious cycle of obsessive thinking I have been unable to escape. I will describe my thought processes below; and I am especially interested in hearing people's opinion on the rationality, or lack thereof, of my worries, and how I am to go on about addressing/alleviating my intrusive thoughts. Unlike what I presume is the case in most anxious persons' cases, in mine, it is not so readily apparent or easy to establish the irrationality of the thoughts. I think it really requires one to sit down and think about it.

Copied from a Yahoo answers page.

In summer 2011, a brief study on morality I did led me to believe moral nihilism was true. In February 2012 I started studying the matter again and concluded morality relativism made more sense than I initially thought and even objective morality might exist.

I've been driving myself crazy with questions such as the following. Why did I initially not do a more thorough study on morality? Was it a belief that further study would not have changed my mind, or was it influenced by a desire to engage in certain 'immoral' behaviors (there is basis to think this; I did desire to engage in some immoral behaviors, although I never did). Why did I start studying the matter again in February? Did I start thinking morality might exist, or was it a desire for it to exist? Or maybe I always thought morality might exist, I just chose not to study the matter because 1) it would take too long 2) I desire to engage in certain immoral behaviors now.

There are the following possibilities with regards to what I thought would have happened if I'd studied morality more thoroughly last summer:
- it definitely would not have changed my mind
- it definitely would have changed my mind
- it probably would not have changed my mind
- it probably would have changed my mind
- it is more probable that it would have than that it would not have
- it is more probable that it would not have that it would
- it is equally probable that it would and that it wouldn't

What do you think about all this? I think the most probable answer is that I thought it probably wouldn't have changed my mind, but later, when I started wanting morality to exist, I decided to test for that small possibility I was wrong. This doesn't sound at all dishonest or hypocritical or anything like that.

However, there are other options. In light of the possibility of other alternatives being correct, am I obliged to address each individual scenario? What some people might assume is the worst case scenario - that I thought I would definitely change my mind, is, from perspective, very easily addressed. All I have to do is acknowledge that I was dishonest and try to be as bias-free as I can possibly be now. Let's say, for example, I thought it was equally probable I would have changed my mind. However, because there was too much information, as well the fact I didn't want to spend years studying before I learned whether behaviors I desired to engage in were wrong or not, I decided not to study it, come to a conclusion based on the information I possessed by that point. Is it, in light of the scenario I just described, dishonest/hypocritical, to go back and study morality in February 2012, out of desire for it to be true?

Enduronman
09-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Driving yourself crazy because your wondering about the truths or lies of morality in human behaviors?.. Yer f**kin complex! Why give this SO much thought and effort to try to understand this because there's no possible way to even answer the oh so simple question to begin with? As I've always stated here on these forums, there are 8 BILLION people that stand on this same planet and no (2) are the same so I'm abit baffled as to what kind of question it truly is that you have? Are people moral or immoral? It depends, many diff variables, dynamics, places, times, sitautions, events, issues, circumstances...Maybe when the earth explodes on Dec 21st then you'll find out the answer to the question because then you throw in "survival" or "3 days to animal" scenarious...I know what that answer will be, and so do you.

E-Man.

dice3510
09-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Bump. More opinions?