PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for a new life?

j2005
09-26-2012, 01:52 AM
Want to read posts that will help you recover? Then look at forwells posts...he understands fully what it takes for most to recover.

I'm a counselor professionally, but mainly marriage and family. My anxiety was a result of being in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

The data and research show that CBT has the most effective record of recovery of all models. This doesn't mean it will work for you, but reveals its effectiveness among a survey of cases. I'm not a fan of meds and have seen few clients that actually recovered because of meds. They managed their stressful reactions but when/if they come off they must once again deal with the anxiety. Now, some people may need them for a time because of work responsibilities or a season that doesn't provide time for recovery. But, accept that they rarely cure anyone.

Kev is right that CBT must be effective and not all therapists are good at it, trust me I know. As a counselor going to a counselor, we have certain expectations of ability and most haven't honed the CBT skills necessary to help recovery. It's still helpful to talk about the anxiety with a professional to has empathy and compassion and can assist with coping skills.

Research does show cannabis causes anxiety among other things; it is a psychological altering substance so no surprise there. It's easier I think, because one should know that its use is the root cause, then as Kevin says anxiety takes over and fear becomes the driver. It's alway you creating the anxiety level through fear of the symptoms.

The challenge for me has been coming to grasp that this is a physiological experience. I feel the physical symptoms of my anxiety, it's not just mental. Often a heart flutter would send me into a panic attack, until I came to grips with the symptom and not reacting with fear.

Doctors are of little help in true anxiety, because they are taught to treat symptoms while looking for a cause. If they cannot find a cause, then it must be anxiety, so referral is the next logical step.

If a doctor clears you, until further evidence, the road to recovery begins with acceptance. And the understanding that you are causing the elevated response to the anxiety. Manage your reactions and you'll find yourself 70% better. The 30% may simply be the physical symptoms of stress that your body for some reason has responded to with heightened sensitivity. It needs to reset to a lower response level and that is where the work comes in.

I have found deep breathing, meditation, exercise, and reducing stressful behavior/lifestyles is the right course for recovery for most people. Decide to believe your doctor unless clear evidence suggest otherwise, then begin the long road to recovery.

A new life is waiting for you.

James

dazza
09-26-2012, 04:34 AM
Forewells (Kev) is the king of anxiety!

I'm not sure this is a particularly envious title, lol... but a title none-the-less.

HAIL TO KING FOREWELLS, BABY!

jhunter89
09-26-2012, 04:51 AM
*curtsey*

Lol :)

AceParadox
09-26-2012, 05:43 AM
*Randomly bursts into dance* Oppan Gangnam Style

dazza
09-26-2012, 06:31 AM
LOL... here's a good dance especially for this thread... guy called Jeremy Crooks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpQ5R5N7diY

(proof that white guys CAN dance, lol)

Enduronman
09-26-2012, 06:41 AM
What a great way to start this nasty day! Yes, I too know what it took for me to send anxiety packing but the bastard left horrible remnants of things behind.. Great post btw! and Hail to King Kev!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R91L7LhH-wg

How do you know he's the King??

E-Man. :)

dazza
09-26-2012, 06:44 AM
... he hasn't got shit all over him, lmao..

Enduronman
09-26-2012, 06:46 AM
bahhaaahaa!! PS: The white guy is YOU dude!!

lsapphirel
09-26-2012, 11:00 PM
King Forwells, yay.