PDA

View Full Version : CBT Advice

raggamuffin
09-24-2012, 05:06 AM
I had my psychiatric evaluation on the weekend. I found it to be very helpful. He is writting a referral for me to start CBT however he recommended doing some research beforehand. namely using a self help book or a CBT workbook/sheets to learn as much about CBT techniques as possible. Also he said, whenever I had pains and my mind started over-working and thinking he advised me to write down all my thoughts and feelings. No matter how insignifianct or extreme the thoughts got. Write everything down and hold nothing back.

Then, when CBT begins you will be able to address issues straight away as opposed to spending multiple sessions outlining the basics of CBT and what will be involved. He said this would save a lot of time and effort for both parties and instead CBT could be moulded around my specific anxieties a lot quicker and more effectively than it would if I simply entered CBT having done no previous work or exploration.

He said I suffered from several different anxieties. But the most apparent was anxious rumination. The constant vicious circle of worries and fears which never seemed to quietne down inside my head. I even fear the times when I am pain and symptom free because I suddenly realize there is no pain or fear and sure enough it returns abruptly.

But I did feel calmer having spoken with him. The weekend continued with symptoms and fears but I made sure I wrote it all down. Re-reading it I can see definate patterns. But I also see how surreal and melodramatic these fears have become. It's almost like my mind has made it's own little alternate reality. Not that it's a pleasant place to reside, that's for sure.

I'll get started on these work sheets - http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax_doc.cfm?Mini_ID=46

Should help me get started. I'm still in pain daily, then again I wasn't expecting an instant cure. But i'm glad the ball is rolling.

Ed

raggamuffin
09-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Howdy, thanks for the reply. He simply concluded that with the right treatment he saw no reason why my situation shouldn't improve drastically. But that was as in depth as it got. he was very keen to know what caused my first panic attack. But in all honesty I can't remember. It occured several years ago during the time when I was smoking weed daily. Even nowadays, being sober, my memory is pretty shot. All I remember was being in a room with a friend, smoking a joint, watching a tv show. Suddenyl felt dizzy, almot liek I had tunnel vision, racing heart, tingling all over. Couldn't catch my breath, really felt like it was over. Calmed down after a few minutes and carried on being a stoner. however from then on, everytime I went to bed stoned I'd convince myself i'd have a heart attack at any moment. I got all fidgety, my legs would be moving constantly right up until I dozed off. Somewhat OCD I guess, thinking that if I didn't keep moving i'd have a heart attack and i've be very sensitive towards hearing my heart rate in bed.

From then on smoking with friends in my room would lead to a tight chest and feeling uncomfortable etc. But apart from the weed side of things I honestly don't know what else could've caused it. Had some bad relationships which really messed me around. Home life has always been grand. Although my dad is old (77 this year) and the fear of him dying has played over in my mind for most of my life.

I understand what you mean, about finding root causes. I will be sure to address this with the therapist to see what they can recommend. But I have read about several people who are still coping with anxiety after CBT and not truly weeding it out entirely from their day to day life.

I don't want to cope, I want to be free form anxiety. I know that smoking weed daily for 6 years could've easily have caused issues. I also experiemnted with some harder drugs over 1 summer. Most experiences were fun but I didn't want it to become a lifestyle habit.

Hmm I don't know to tell the truth. I wish my memory was better in all hoensty. On saturday when speaking to this psychiatrist I couldn't really offer the in depth answers I think he was seeking as my memory is so poor these days and it's quite frustrating at times.

Ed

raggamuffin
09-25-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. I like how in depth you are with your responses. I certainly do regret having been a stoner. It was really pointless. I get why it was appealing, having been quite depressed prior to becoming a stoner, a substance which gave a new feeling and detatched me from caring about emotions was very appealing. What a waste of a portion of my life though. I'm glad i've left it behind me. Just wish i'd have quit off my own accord instead of having anxiety muscle in on me.

Just read the referral letter the psychiatrist sent to the doctor and therapist. I feel rather embaressed when reading it all laid out infront of me. It seems so foolish being so alienated from yourself and lost in this little anxious world. I printed off the CBT worksheets and filled out the section about symptoms. I filled the entire sheet. I have to admit I wonder what else could be stressing me out. At work I don't feel too under pressure. There's no drastic deadlines or unwieldy expectations of me. Home life is pretty uneventful etc. So I wonder if it truly is simply from cannabis use.

It's annoying the anxious mindset. Even after medical tests and an all clear given, with the answers liad out right infront of us the mind can still not accept this re-assurance. It's so foolish i think to myself. I know that the list of symptoms for anxiety is virtually endless and affects people in a multitude of ways. But I don't have a 5+ year knowledge of medicine under my belt. I just foolishly think to myself I know more than a doctor does.

I say it more and more to myself now though."This is all caused by anxiety". But other fears do still play over in my head and it's that side of things. The more warped and extreme way of thinking such as "this is cancer or fatal" etc are harder to subdue.

It's impressive you've reached a point now where symptoms don't phaze you. I too am feeling dizziness today and a bit of chest tightness. Surprise surprise the stomach aches (which have gone on for 2 months) have now died down. But my first thought wasn't something drastic like a brain tumour or anything of that nature. I simply said inside my head "Oh no not this again". Keeping busy helps, there's no doubt about that. I'm going to spend my lunch break really reading over the worksheets in depth and filling out the information as honestly as possible. I know that things won't get better overnight and I do really need to work at it. But I want a headstart on things before I start CBT.

The psychiatrist also recommended the doctor checked my thyroid function. Yet another test to add to the pile. It wouldn't really reassure me even if there was an issue with the thyroid. I feel like my brain and imagination is just tired at this point. My body has thrown pretty much any pain and symptom going every day for nearly a year and a half.

Hope sounds nice. I swing from euphoria to sheer depression. It's difficult to stay balanced I must admit. This morning I did my best i've ever done I think. I went by 2 hours before I had the usual worry of "You're not in pain, why not you're anxious" etc. Soon after symptoms come, but i'm just fed up with the way I think. After I replay that message every morning and expect symptoms to comve I think to myself "You idiot"

Ed

dazza
09-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi Ed

I'm pleased to hear you finally got to see Doctor Hunt. He's a nice chap, eh?

Funny... he told me to have my thyroid checked, too. I never did because I know the symptoms of over-active thyroid and I don't have any.

You'll need to dig deep to find the causes of your anxiety. It's likely the impending therapist will unearth some stuff that you're not consciously aware of. She did me... and it's quite an eye-opener.

All good stuff though.

Good luck and keep us informed of your therapy progress.

j2005
09-26-2012, 01:49 AM
Kev is right on so many levels.

I'm a counselor professionally, but mainly marriage and family. My anxiety was a result of being in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

The data and research show that CBT has the most effective record of recovery of all models. This doesn't mean it will work for you, but reveals its effectiveness among a survey of cases. I'm not a fan of meds and have seen few clients that actually recovered because of meds. They managed their stressful reactions but when/if they come off they must once again deal with the anxiety. Now, some people may need them for a time because of work responsibilities or a season that doesn't provide time for recovery. But, accept that they rarely cure anyone.

Kevin is right that CBT must be effective and not all therapists are good at it, trust me I know. As a counselor going to a counselor, we have certain expectations of ability and most haven't honed the CBT skills necessary to help recovery. It's still helpful to talk about the anxiety with a professional to has empathy and compassion and can assist with coping skills.

Research does show cannabis causes anxiety among other things; it is a psychological altering substance so no surprise there. It's easier I think, because one should know that its use is the root cause, then as Kevin says anxiety takes over and fear becomes the driver. It's alway you creating the anxiety level through fear of the symptoms.

The challenge for me has been coming to grasp that this is a physiological experience. I feel the physical symptoms of my anxiety, it's not just mental. Often a heart flutter would send me into a panic attack, until I came to grips with the symptom and not reacting with fear.

Doctors are of little help in true anxiety, because they are taught to treat symptoms while looking for a cause. If they cannot find a cause, then it must be anxiety, so referral is the next logical step.

If a doctor clears you, until further evidence, the road to recovery begins with acceptance. And the understanding that you are causing the elevated response to the anxiety. Manage your reactions and you'll find yourself 70% better. The 30% may simply be the physical symptoms of stress that your body for some reason has responded to with heightened sensitivity. It needs to reset to a lower response level and that is where the work comes in.

I have found deep breathing, meditation, exercise, and reducing stressful behavior/lifestyles is the right course for recovery for most people. Decide to believe your doctor unless clear evidence suggest otherwise, then begin the long road to recovery.

A new life is waiting for you.

James
Ps, I'll post this to s new thread in hopes of it encouraging someone.

raggamuffin
09-26-2012, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. Dr Hunt is a very nice person, very clever and calming too. Didin't feel that awkward openening up to him. Just a shame my memory is qute poor these days and I didin't feel I could provide quite as much information as what he was hoping for. I think CBT will be effective but I'm going to have to be very pro-active in changing too. From what Dazza has said the therapist he saw and I will be seeing shortly is very good and experienced at dealing with CBT. So I really think it'll help me greatly. But i'm certianly not expecting an overnight cure.

I don't agree with meds either. Whether a drug is legal or illegal is simply masks symptoms and doesn't allow people to address root causes and problems. I know that using cannabis was a foolish thing to do. Lots of people seem to think smoking weed has no health effects but the more research that is done the more it dispproves these pro cannabis activists flimsy evidence. I'm glad I quit when I did in all honesty. I'm still young and my body should recover from it without issue. 3 months and 6 days into quitting this time round. Smoked it for about 7 years. Such a waste of my life in all honesty. I just hope it hasn't caused any lasting health issues other than anxiety. But in all hoensty that's the health anxiety at work there. No point worrying about the future. My dad quit smoking and his habit was twice as long as mine. He's 77 this year and still going strong so I reckon I probably inherited some good genes :)

As with many people here i've visited countless doctors for no end of symptoms. I'm so highly sensitive to the slightest symptom it's ridiculous. But i've slowly started to accept that it is simply anxiety. Of course the health anxiety hasn't entirely gone away. There's still moments i'm convinced it's heart related. But I wouldn't be able to exercise 3-4 hours a week if I was having heart issues.

I'm enjoying exercising but breathing practice doesn't occur that often. It'll take some doing before it slips into a daily routine for me. Meditation i've tried before, again I need to keep at it for it to become a daily routine and also practice actually meditating effectively. I know that yoga is supposed to be a big help too. Money is rather tight at the moment however so I think for now i'll just compile some videos off the net and get to practicing a routine from there. Also changing my diet for the better in recent weeks and i'll be spending what money I have on expanding my diet and really cutting out all the crap I used to binge on when I was a stoner. Thankfully, somehow I kept my weight steady all those years and i'm not overweight. But it's inside health that's just as critical as exterior mass so this diet change will help no end with that too.

Thanks again for the replies guys I really appreciate it.

Ed