PDA

View Full Version : New pet anxiety

hill
09-23-2012, 09:57 AM
I got a new kitten yesterday and he's very sweet and cute and friendly but he cries a lot. I know he's scared and needing to adjust but it's making my husband and me very anxious. I feel sick to my stomach and constantly worry that he's going to start crying when he isn't crying and that he won't stop crying when he does cry. Does anyone have any helpful tips for getting through this?

Buttercup
09-23-2012, 02:43 PM
he is just a tiny scared animal- he will be way more anxious than you and has just been taken away from his mother so he needs reassurance. But kittens are tough wee animals and he will settle in just fine but animals do pick up on owner's feelings so anxious owners often lead to anxious pets. Try and play with him and enjoy it- animals can be theraputic as well so if you feel stressed often petting an animal can lower heart rate and blood pressure and be very relaxing. You guys will be fine, it takes time for animal and owner to adjust. Try and enjoy having him and save stresses for other things.

hill
09-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your encouraging words. I went in to play with him and he just wanted to cuddle and sit on my lap so that helped me feel better. I'm trying to remember he's just really scared and tiny and in a week or two we'll all be fine.