PDA

View Full Version : Out of touch with reality

jdubb4045
09-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Does anyone else ever feel like they are out of touch with reality from anxiety? I have heard of depersonalization before. I am not sure if that is what I am feeling or if I feel this way because of the medications I am on. I started Zoloft a few days ago and I am also taking .50 mg of xanex to sleep. I noticed I feel worse in the morning. I just feel like I am dreaming or something and then I get a little light headed at times. The thought of how I feel seems to make it worse, so I am not sure if it is just all in my head. I am just so tired of this!

TheDude
09-22-2012, 02:34 PM
I get that way too when my anxiety gets bad. I feel like I'm viewing life from a sort of distance, and then my mind starts making unhealthy thoughts like "This is a dream." I know it's not, it's completely illogical to assume life is anything else but life, but anxiety does that to some unfortunately. You won't feel that way when your anxiety lets up.

StopTheMadness
09-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes same here i start feeling like im not real and it used to really scare me

AceParadox
09-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah I get that too. Hate it. Especially when it happens when nobody is home. I just hop into the shower; clears things up for me :] or get into a video game.

MainerMikeBrown
09-23-2012, 10:27 AM
When I used to have issues with anxieties, I found psychotherapy to be useless. After getting on the right meds, however, I found therapy to then be helpful.

So why didn't I find therapy to be useful before getting on pills that worked for me?

Because my anxieties were out of touch with reality. And therapy (or just trying to reason with yourself) won't work if you're emotions are out of touch with reality.

Hence, I know what it's like to feel like having my anxieties be out of touch with reality.