PDA

View Full Version : Irrational thoughts involving contamination

koocachoo
09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi everyone. I have a history of anxiety and obsessive thoughts. My biggest problem is I have a fear of contracting HIV. I've had my ups and downs but the other night something flared me up a bit.
I went out to McDonald's and got a burger. While I was eating it, I noticed there was a red spot in the sandwich that was probably ketchup. Me being me, I automatically think it's blood and threw it away. Since then I've been thinking about it nonstop and it's driving me insane!! The "what if" questions are happening. What if it wasn't ketchup? What if the cook cut his hand and it was his blood? Does he have HIV?

It's so frustrating to me because I can tell myself that it is not true and it's irrational. I just can't convince myself of it and I'm going back into my vicious cycle! I'm not in any type of therapy at the moment. I'm looking for a little support because I'm having a hard time talking to a friend or loved one about it. Mainly due to the fact that I know it isn't true!

Any responses would be appreciated!! <3

Tristanayoubi
09-14-2012, 12:04 AM
koocachoo.

i used to feel the same way.
the irrational fears, the what ifs.
im athletic, i had a fear of having a heart attack at age 15.. like, just as I read your post and you said you were eating mcdonalds, I instantly thought "ew thats gross"
I found myself eating salads all the time with lean chicken (gotta get some protein)
but i found myself changing my whole life style because of a what if.

I used to eat red meat, lotsa carbs. ( im hardcore athlete. Ice Hockey/Football )
but I changed, and I notice that my performance has changed.. maybe your what if will make you healthier.

dazza
09-14-2012, 01:24 AM
LOL

Next time I chomp on a quarter pounder I'll be thinking of this thread.... NOT!

You have a point, albeit a one in a billion chance point!

Rule number one for any food outlet is hygiene. Rest assured that THE most popular fast food outlet in the world will not risk any such detremental publicity.
The staff will be trained to an accute level in this respect.

In the case of deliberate food tampering, I've read of only ONE case where a McDonalds worker deliberately spat in someone's drink.
Fortunately, the customer took the lid off the drink, saw the offending bodily fluid and through CCTV evidence - the offender was sentenced to prison (for up to 20 years!)

See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/18/mcdonalds-worker-marvin-washington-jr_n_1436255.html

In another case, a McDonalds worker with hepatitis-A made the news and anyone who had eaten in the restaurant during a (small) period was urged to get tested. No contraction cases were found.

That aside, HIV can only be contracted through an open wound which would allow the HIV to directly enter the blood stream.
You can't catch HIV through ingestion of food. Your stomach acids would take care of it. This is fact.

Other facts:

The HIV virus is fragile & dies when exposed to ambient. It is destroyed at 55 degC and at high or low pH levels (e.g. stomach acids).

You can't catch HIV through kissing alone.

HIV treatment has come on leaps and bounds in recent years. With medication - you are just as likely to live a long and healthy life as someone without HIV.

Anyhoo... no risk. You'll be fine :-)

fogor
09-14-2012, 03:21 AM
Helpful post