PDA

View Full Version : Whats your phobia?

Motheroftwo
09-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Mine are, being stuck in the middle of traffic during a stop light, haircuts, work meetings, and going ANYWHERE alone. I know mine are absolutely ridiculous, im just curious to what others may have....

Enduronman
09-13-2012, 04:51 PM
having to be in the same general location of my x wife...nothing else. :)

kdubg
09-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Heart anxiety, even though im young :(

Motheroftwo
09-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Enduronman- I wish mine were as simple as that! lol. It may not be so simple for you though.

Kdubg- My anxiety has gotten so bad, when ever I panic, I instantly get shot of breath and heart palpitations. When my anxiety subsides, all symptoms go away. Believe it or not but cardio helps big time with preventing palpitations. BTW- im young too- only 26.

owl
09-15-2012, 12:38 PM
I second haircuts. I imagine getting a manicure to be very uncomfortable too.

cedricbertelli
09-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Mine was... don't laugh... about old black and white pictures...
The best way I found out there to resolve any kind of phobias is the tipi technique www-tipi-us.com
I can talk about it because I experienced it many times on several fears and it works... very quickly (in minutes) and the result is permanent.
You can learn to do the technique by yourself to be completely autonomous with it...

cedricbertelli
09-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Hello,

Your phobias are not ridiculous... believe me I saw a bunch of them... but the fact is that you can permanently and extremely quickly release them.
get some information about the "Tipi" technique (on tipi-us).
A session with a professional is 30 min, the result is garantied, and then you can learn how to do sessions on your own, without needing any help...

lsapphirel
09-16-2012, 09:36 AM
My legs will go wobbly when im alone(must be an adult with me, kids dont count) in confined spaces, toilets, rooms, undergrounds, as long as i dont see the sun and the nature or the sun is gonna set, it gets me anxious. Although, i havent been diagnosed with Agoraphobia, i have those since i had PA, not sure if its just me or the PA triggering.

miss_mac666
09-18-2012, 02:24 PM
I have Emetophobia, which is the fear of vomit/vomiting. I think about it constantly and it is the main cause of my anorexia/anxiety/panic disorder/OCD/agoraphobia... It has legit ruined my life. I don't go anywhere unless I reallllllly have to. It sucks and i have had it for almost 11 yrs now.

Buttercup
09-19-2012, 05:02 AM
I used to be scared of soooooo many things but now that I have my anxiety under control the fear of these things had pretty much gone. Most of the things that freaked me out were when I was in situations I couldn't readily escape from. Like MotherofTwo I was so scared of being stuck in a traffic jam, even being stopped at red lights scared me, along with being on motorways so I would either not go places or go really out of the way routes at quiet times to avoid motorways, jams etc. I stopped going to hairdressers as well and managed to get a girl who would come to the house and even then it was hard! I would always make sure I was close to home and never go to far away as home was my safe place. I stopped going to the cinema, restaurants, theatre as I was worried I would have to suddenly get up and leave due to my anxiety. The list is almost endless! I also went through a phase of being terrified when i heard a plane overhead as I was convinced it was going to crash. I wouldn't go out in bad weather or if it was too hot etc etc.
Basically anxiety limited absolutely everything I did but luckily I have only had 3 or 4 bad episodes in my life but they did leave me off work for months at a time. After my most recent bout I finally feel that I have a handle on things and am living a "normal" life again thanks to a wonderful psychotherapist and beta blockers!

brober20
10-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Mine are, being stuck in the middle of traffic during a stop light, haircuts, work meetings, and going ANYWHERE alone. I know mine are absolutely ridiculous, im just curious to what others may have....

My anxiety might sound a little weird.. I'm constantly worrying about health & dying from something. I get scared to eat food if its.been let out I'm constantly checking to make sure theres no holes in food that I buy cause i tear its been poisoned if my food has been left in attended I won't eat it. I wanna get rid of these fears & live normally.. I constantly worry about my next anxiety attack i can't go on trips or anything cause I'm scared ill have an attack..

AceParadox
10-02-2012, 12:37 AM
I have many. fear of going crazy, losing control, fear of nightmares, fear of disease and sickness. That sort of thing. I manage them pretty well though, I'm learning to overcome them but it can be hard sometimes.

TheHopelessWON
10-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Homelessness, Adandonement, Not being Independent

ananxiousgirl
10-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Social phobia....

kafaraone
10-08-2012, 12:23 PM
I have Emetophobia, which is the fear of vomit/vomiting. I think about it constantly and it is the main cause of my anorexia/anxiety/panic disorder/OCD/agoraphobia... It has legit ruined my life. I don't go anywhere unless I reallllllly have to. It sucks and i have had it for almost 11 yrs now.

I'm exactly the same. Fortunately I'm able to work & go to school (though both are becoming more and more difficult by the day). This phobia 100% dictates my life and the way I live.

laura84
10-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Social phobia. Although it doesnt (touch wood) stop me from leaving the house altogether. Its more how i actually deal with being around people.

cypress_2151
10-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I'm not 100% that it is at phobia level, but I am utterly terrified of the human body and how fragile it is. I'm very afraid of death, but I'm moreso afraid of my body giving out on me and it scares me shitless every day and causes anxiety and panic every day.

becki
11-09-2012, 05:57 AM
Mine are shopping alone at the grocery store, I will go alone for a few things. Haircuts, got one yesterday but my husband was along, waiting in lines, some drive through restaurants, eating out. I'm working hard to expose myself and have to remind myself this takes time.

MelissaK9174
12-08-2012, 11:22 AM
I used to be scared of crossing big or long bridges but the town I'm in, you're kind of forced. We're on the Gulf so there's lots of water. I can swim really well so I'm not sure why it can be so terrifying. I have forced myself to tolerate driving over them but it still scares the daylights out of me if I start thinking about it.

I have IBS and I'm scared of being somewhere that a bathroom is not readily accessible. Car rides with people are scary for me. I start focusing on it and make myself sick to where we have to pull over. It's horrible and embarrassing. Especially if I am dating someone. It's something that doesn't really go away, even when I'm comfortable with someone. My dad understands because he has IBS too. My sister doesn't have it but if we are in the car together, it's easy for me to say we gotta pull over because she is used to this problem with me. It contributes to my eating disorder (which goes from binge eating to the opposite extreme) if I don't eat for a while when trying to go out with someone, then I will be less likely to need the bathroom. I think this is one of my problems that also contributes to some of my agoraphobic type symptoms.

rockett89
12-23-2012, 03:02 PM
My anxiety might sound a little weird.. I'm constantly worrying about health & dying from something. I get scared to eat food if its.been let out I'm constantly checking to make sure theres no holes in food that I buy cause i tear its been poisoned if my food has been left in attended I won't eat it. I wanna get rid of these fears & live normally.. I constantly worry about my next anxiety attack i can't go on trips or anything cause I'm scared ill have an attack..

I am exactly the same I over cook all food incase it's undercooked then ill still bin it if not 100% satisfied which is often I always think an ache or pain is going to lead to cancer :-( then sit worrying constantly... When I type it i realise how daft it is but yet I still feel it xxx

Cloudwife
12-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm scared of being social, upsetting people really messes with my anxiety, loud noises, hair in my face or on my neck, weird textures, left over food taste in my mouth... I could go on forever... When I get anxious I have violent mood swings. I just feel like ripping my skin off (sorry for being graphic) and screaming as loud as I can. I've never hurt anyone else but I get a strong urge to sometimes. For no reason but my stupid anxiety. :/

Ivere
12-30-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm not 100% that it is at phobia level, but I am utterly terrified of the human body and how fragile it is. I'm very afraid of death, but I'm moreso afraid of my body giving out on me and it scares me shitless every day and causes anxiety and panic every day.

I'm not the only one! Sometimes I'll be sitting there, having a conversation or doing something normal and will have a thought about dying and get a massive wave of fear. To the other people who said they over cool their food, I'm anal with that, especially chicken! Ahh I feel good knowing there are others out there.

Mariesa00
12-30-2012, 01:59 AM
My big fear is passing out. Which is pretty much impossible with a fast heart and high blood pressure during an attack!

ens22108
01-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Death, health (I always diagnose myself with horrible diseases, or think I'm dying, or think I'm gonna get deadly side effects, I always think I'm having heart failure or a heart attack)

alliking6
01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
I am freaked of dying. Suddenly. And leaving my 4 kids. Every little twitch in my head or body and I am scared I am dying.. Gets really annoying I think that way.

Ahlstrom
01-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Death (I think everyone is), Having a panic attack, committing suicide, Vomiting, Any body of water I can't see through, Caterpillars (yes I'm serious)

Cara1989
01-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Is there a reason why ur scared of catapillers?

Ahlstrom
01-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Is there a reason why ur scared of catapillers?

Hmm... Besides their gross looking fur, big digusting eyes.

I remember I used to work on a farm when I was 8 or so and one day my job was to sweep some sidewalk. I turn around and there were LITERALLY hundreds of caterpillars inching torwards me. I hightailed it out of there lol.

I don't know they just freak me out, can't explain why.

Cara1989
01-06-2013, 09:29 PM
Hmm... Besides their gross looking fur, big digusting eyes.

I remember I used to work on a farm when I was 8 or so and one day my job was to sweep some sidewalk. I turn around and there were LITERALLY hundreds of caterpillars inching torwards me. I hightailed it out of there lol.

I don't know they just freak me out, can't explain why.

Oh :p I was curious

BiBiDoll
02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I have a fear of anything to do with medical or health related things. I get anxiety in high emotion settings like if someone is really angry or sad suddenly. Sometimes I get really paranoid being alone. Driving is a big one too. I have really bad panic attacks from these things and it controls a large part of my life.

scared44
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
My fears are social phobia, chronic anxiety, racing heart, nausea, headaches constantly. :-( and alot more

jamus75
02-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Death. Plain and simple. And doctors visits. Hate getting my initial vitals taken. My pulse races and my BP is up. Hard for me to control my panic in there. Never been able to. I calm down a little after I start talking to doc but they always want to recheck my BP again and then it goes back up. I can check it at home fully relaxed and its fine.

Sarah_Rose
03-02-2013, 02:22 AM

Hi, I too am emetophobic. I only recently realized that my anxiety and fears were stemming from it. It's awful, and always on my mind. Especially lately because there is a stomach virus going around :s. I'm so nervous to go to any public place, eat at a restaurant, or eat anything prepared by anyone else for that matter. I am very aware of my stomach and any little ache or gurgle. It's an ongoing fear I wish I could overcome :(

janey
03-02-2013, 08:52 AM
My mom dying and then uncertainty in general, especially with future-related things and my relationship. That's when the whole what-if thing comes into play.

Oh yeah, and people who don't like Led Zeppelin scare me. ;)

parisorsteph
03-02-2013, 09:07 AM
I am so happy I found this because I also an emetophobic and I have suffered from it my whole life and it too has ruined my life now it's gotten so bad I'm afraid of going number 2 in the bathroom because I fear I will also get sick. I hate it I've been trying everything too I don't know what to do:-(

3loveme1
03-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Besides dying in my sleep, staying fat forever has kept me up at night. I've dieted all my life and keeping the weight off consistently is a constant struggle. I know that I'll never have a healthy relationship with food and that's scary because you can't avoid it.

3loveme1
03-02-2013, 09:33 AM
My mom dying and then uncertainty in general, especially with future-related things and my relationship. That's when the whole what-if thing comes into play.

Oh yeah, and people who don't like Led Zeppelin scare me. ;)

OMG, I totally obsess over my future too!!! It's like i can't relax even. And with my relationship i just want to know everything in my partner's mind so i can detect his sincerity.

Armstrong1
03-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi everyone. There is a great website about emetophobia on line. You'll find it by searching google under emetophobia.

janey
03-02-2013, 12:33 PM
3loveme1:
I used to be like that. Basically, you don't have to know everything in his mind. If he treats you right, then believe he is sincere.
I doubted my partner so much that I turned into an interrogative monster. Luckily, I got out of that phase and he forgave me. I ended up making a lot of mistakes between us by being like that.
I promise you that trusting him is 100% better than distrusting him and finding out he was being true the whole time. It's a total waste of energy and you'll feel so bad about it later. :)

I freak out about the future in regard to divorce and such. It happens to so many people and I'm afraid it will happen to me. It gives me so much anxiety to think about it.
It's always "What if we get divorced in 5 years? I don't want to get divorced! What if it happens?". Totally irrational because it's in my control, but I fear I will lose control. It's silly. :P

3loveme1
03-03-2013, 01:24 PM
3loveme1:
I freak out about the future in regard to divorce and such. It happens to so many people and I'm afraid it will happen to me. It gives me so much anxiety to think about it.
It's always "What if we get divorced in 5 years? I don't want to get divorced! What if it happens?". Totally irrational because it's in my control, but I fear I will lose control. It's silly. :P

Hey, I don't think that's silly at all. I think all married couples have that fear. But who's to say it should happen to you. "What if you're both happier than ever in the next 5 years?" I tend to believe that those who marry for love or other significant reasons are more happier and thus more successful than those who marry for the wrong reasons.

abartlett331
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Mine were going into crowded public areas, engaging with people socially, and the constant fear that something is going to happen. Though I'm doing a better job at dealing with my anxiety now, I still get slight panic attacks every now and then.

jspunky
03-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Im majorly afraid of weight gain... caused my bulimia.? D: ugh.

blondieqtpie
04-12-2013, 03:10 AM
I too constantly nit pick over weight as it goes up and down 30 lbs. I've battled eating disorders too. Be strong and aim to be healthy not thin.

Lin
04-12-2013, 04:49 AM
I don't have an eating disorder but all my life have battled with being overweight. I have lost 5 stones about 4 times during my life and always put it back on, not because give in and overeat again, but each time something big always happens in my life so start comfort eating and then put it all back on again. Some of just not meant to be slim without constant thinking about what eat and exercising.

Markiep
06-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Death in general. Going crazy. Essentially losing myself. Also tornados lol

Lin
06-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Markiep sounds like general anxiety and panic at moment you are going through. Worrying about the 'what ifs' is really easy to do and not easy to stop but you have to try to get off the vicious circle and stop the negative thoughts. Only by learning calming techniques like meditation and mindfulness will help. Try concentrating just on one day at a time and not the future, it will help you get through the days much easier. Think of ways to make each day a bit different, even if only a 5 minute walk, or watching a new TV programme, or learning a new hobby.

Markiep
06-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Thank you. I've been reading up on Buddhism and it seems like something that will greatly help me, so we'll see. :)

calimel
06-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Health issues. I've always been scared of dying young like my grandmother did. Constantly worried that there is something major wrong with me and I'm the one that they will say, "if we had discovered it a few months ago, we could have fixed it." Money, being under a bridge at a red light, being stuck on a bridge in traffic, crowds of people. I'm also irrationally irritated by people chewing, crunching food etc. call it noise sensitive but it actually triggers anxiety for me. All together, I'm just a ball of fun!

brittany32888
06-22-2013, 07:52 PM
I have agoraphobia and anticipatory anxiety. I've also struggled with bulimia and anorexia for a good portion of my life. I definitely believe my low self esteem factored into that but it mostly was because I never felt good because of anxiety and vomiting actually exhilarated me plus made me feel in control. but then contributed to my anxiety because I've always been afraid if becoming deathly ill.Such a visits cycle. Nasty things those eating disorders.

AnonGirl
06-29-2013, 12:23 PM
I am agoraphobic and I used to be scared of going outside & taking the train and having a panic attack I when to get help and I was treated and no longer needed therapy and medication. Recently I been very stressed out and it came back and I developed a toilet phobia ( I do not like to be away from a toliet because I am afraid that I might have a accident which I never had before). Boy, I am confused now :(

Eighteen
07-16-2013, 08:12 AM
New to this site.... Have had horrible panic attacks for about five years which has turned into agoraphobia. So confused on how it got this bad. I can hardly get to work anymore let alone anywhere else.

str8trippin
08-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Health issues. I've always been scared of dying young like my grandmother did. Constantly worried that there is something major wrong with me and I'm the one that they will say, "if we had discovered it a few months ago, we could have fixed it." Money, being under a bridge at a red light, being stuck on a bridge in traffic, crowds of people. I'm also irrationally irritated by people chewing, crunching food etc. call it noise sensitive but it actually triggers anxiety for me. All together, I'm just a ball of fun!

OMG I had to respond to this because I have NEVER found anyone else who had the same chewing issue as I did...everyone just thinks I'm full of it! For a while I couldn't even eat at the dinner table with my family because the sound literally made me feel crazy and I couldn't tolerate it. And of course the more you focus on it, the worse it is. Talk about irrational to be THAT irritated by something so...normal. But I can so relate!

anxiousashley
08-23-2013, 06:37 AM
mine is large crowds

tailspin
08-23-2013, 12:47 PM
I have some claustrophobia. I can't ride elevators at all. Also can't handle the tube or subway for the same reason (being confined in a small space. And being underground makes it worse!)
I'm terrified of flying.
I have some germ phobia.

Dahila
08-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Tailspin I have exactly the same phobias plus snakes and roaches, crowds and claustrophobia, germs and hights. Social gatherings are out of question for me:(

ErikaRae
09-01-2013, 08:07 PM
I've been dealing with Panic Attacks for a little over 20 yrs but since 2001 I've had many Phobias. Driving Alone, Traveling, Being Alone, and thee worst one of all, Being Away From My Husband. My husband is the only one that can help me get a Panic Attack under control so I've been really clingy. I hate it because I used to be so independent and now I feel like a scared Child. Always waiting for the next Panic Attack to hit. Does anyone one else cling to a (safe person)?? It's driving me and him at times crazy! I just really need to know that I'm not alone. :(

shoestring
09-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Elevators, I can't lock doors...basically anyone place I can't "leave". I have a fear of my food being drugged as well.

NeverToo...Fear
09-14-2013, 06:08 PM
I've been dealing with Panic Attacks for a little over 20 yrs but since 2001 I've had many Phobias. Driving Alone, Traveling, Being Alone, and thee worst one of all, Being Away From My Husband. My husband is the only one that can help me get a Panic Attack under control so I've been really clingy. I hate it because I used to be so independent and now I feel like a scared Child. Always waiting for the next Panic Attack to hit. Does anyone one else cling to a (safe person)?? It's driving me and him at times crazy! I just really need to know that I'm not alone. :(
^ I totally get the safe person thing! My dad is the specific person in my life that really calms me down..but as a result, I driving him a bit crazy..

I currently hate and am afraid of being alone...but on a side note, when I was a little child I use to have a terrible fear of swallowing...thankfully that's under control...mostly...

alankay
09-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Yeah places hard or impossible to exit if needed. Not elevators as it's only a min or less ride so that I can deal with. Dental appts., flights, car trips if I'm not the driver, etc. For flights I take valium which allows me to travel all over and I'm grateful for it. Alankay

chuckie99c
09-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Ok mine are:- not liking people chewing loudly in a cinema, not like my children to eat nuts incase they are sensitive, not liking my children near water incase they drown, not liking bars that have too many people in them, too many people talking at once at work, being a passenger in a car, twisting my hair and pulling it out, worried I'm going to die young or my children are, worried I have skin cancer as I've abused my body to the sun to much, don't like seeng meat on a bone. The biggest one is flying and it's got worse over the years. I now have to take prescription medication to get on a flight and worry for months before. I also have a breathing problem where it sounds like I am startled, but it just feels like I've forgotten to breathe and have to do it quick. It can be embarrassing around people I don't know.

Cannot do grocery shopping alone anymore and when I do I panic if I can't see my partner. Yesterday I left him at the check out to go and get an item and then couldn't find him. I just wanted to cry in the shop.

Sparkle125
10-02-2013, 10:33 AM
My neighbors, going to the store, cooking, touching raw meat, talking on the phone, driving, getting the mail (got a jury duty notice not long ago and cried for an hour because i was scared to leave my house to do it. trial was called off)

sweetypie
10-02-2013, 03:14 PM
I have so many things. There's the usual things (spiders and dentists, for instance), but I'm not going to talk about those. I'm just going to talk about the unusual ones.

I have agoraphobia. Fear of falling into the sky. (LOL. Yes, I'm actually so scared of this that sometimes I can't walk around outside alone.) Fear of my own feelings (like panic attacks, anxiety, and depression.) Social phobias. Fear of allergic reactions. Fear of clusters (although this is more mild and I can ignore it sometimes.) Fear of the freeway (whether I am the driver or the passenger.)

OMG. I know there is a ton more, but I'm tired of listing things now.

petrified
10-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Being near water, bridges, dying, dying alone, dropping things like my purse, phone and keys. Being alone, being drunk, going to jail and being innocent, swallowing things I shouldn't. Many more but there the weirdest lol :-)

Dahila
10-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Strange, for years I thought I am the only one with the strange phobias. No I am not alone. Sorry but it is a nice feeling to meet people who would understand me. lately I developed the phobia of germs. I never go to restaurants or any eatery at all. I make everything from scratch (which is good for our health) I even bake the bread.... crazy The bottles of soap are everywhere. I am scared of chemicals in everyone life too, but it is wisdom not phobia I think....

Cleverun
10-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Mine was... don't laugh... about old black and white pictures...

There's no reason to laugh. Most, if not all causes of anxiety are equally ridiculous and equally serious. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

sno85
11-05-2013, 12:32 AM

Oh my gosh, I'm the same way about the chewing noises. I particularly hate it when people chew gum with their mouths open (that snapping noise...) I get anxious because I worry I'm going to snap and hurt someone...

unity319
11-25-2013, 09:22 AM
I too have the fear of falling into the sky. I can't look up when I'm outside; I feel like I'm going to fall off the earth. It's gotten so bad that I can't even cross most streets and can't walk more than a few dozen feet when I'm outside (which is very challenging as I live in the city). When I see an open field or plain on tv I even start to panic. I can't go on the second floor of a shopping mall and certainly not glass elevators. I usually won't go above the second floor of a building and if it has huge windows I definitely won't go. I have a medical disorder that's going untreated because the only doctor in my area that my insurance covers is on the 7th floor of a building whose front is made entirely of glass windows. I'm also afraid of being away from my home, afraid of driving (especially at night), afraid of going crazy.

BamaBlues
11-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Elevators, Big Bridges, taking medicine, the dark lol

Enduronman
12-21-2013, 07:44 AM
YAY!!!^^^^^^^^ Frankie!!! :)

SamC
12-21-2013, 08:26 AM
My fear is the feeling of not being in control. i/e feeling different

I dont drink alcohol as i dont like the feeling of not being in control
I dont like taking pain killers or antibiotics incase they make me feel spaced out

Ive got pretty much full control of my anxiety but any thing that could altar my normal feeling like medication are things that makes me feel anxious.

jenmarrrr
01-01-2014, 02:04 PM

I'm the exact same. I'm terribly afraid of eating food that has gone bad and it making me sick..

jenmarrrr
01-01-2014, 02:08 PM

This is exactly what I have. I'm terrified of vomiting. If I feel nauseous I don't leave my house because I'm also afraid of getting sick in public places and having no where to run to if I feel like I'm going to throw up. When I was young I had a lot of food allergies that were extremely serious and my parents had to do everyone they could to make sure I wouldn't eat or come in contact with the foods I was allergic to. To get me to understand at such a young age, they told me if I ate these foods, I would get very sick, in attempts to try and scare me in a way to keep me safe. I guess somehow this developed into a fear of just throwing up in general. I'm only 18 years old but I've been affected by this phobia for as long as I can remember

issy
01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Social phobia and fear of being trapped, trains, underground, tunnels, planes etc.... anything without a clear or easy way out.

PiggyStardust
01-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Driving is my biggest one, I can't do it. I have nightmares about being in situations where I need to drive a car to help someone, or that I'm stuck in the middle of a busy road and have to drive to escape it.

My other major one is death or damage to people I love and finding their bodies. To a life consuming degree.

My smaller fears include- being a passenger in a car (especially near large trucks), choking, leaving appliances on in my apartment and burning it down, slipping in the shower, deep open water and large waves, and air travel in general but particularly the take off period.

KIKI74
03-13-2014, 01:34 PM
I ma scared to travel abroad. anything that is not close to me triggers bad anxiety. AND of course you get the typical sentence: "What? you don't like travelling?"....HELLO! thanks for making me feel like an alien

Niicole Lynne
03-13-2014, 01:59 PM
My fear and I think it's my only fear is death

My own death, other peoples death

Just death...

It scares the hell out of me :(

One of the worst fears since it's one that can't be avoided... :(

jangar
03-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Well my latest was caused by falling down while getting my groceries to my car. So everytime I walk the dogs (I do that for a living) I'm terrified that my knees will give out - especially if someone is walking by or driving by. I also hate being the first car at the red light - I'm afraid I'll just drive right out into the traffic unknowingly. Grocery stores, church ( that's definitely a xanie day -so crowded), bridges, swallowing while driving (drinks to you who think I was talking about anything else!), getting the mail from our mailbox which is right in front of our house but across the street = hate crossing streets where everyone is looking(I feel all eyes on me)

brittany32888
03-21-2014, 02:37 PM
I'm afraid of choking. I actually do choke a lot, drink of water, gum, spit, you name it. And because I spend most of my day home alone with my 3 1/2 year old, I'm afraid that I'll choke(like really choke)and go unconscious, possibly die, and he will be helpless and alone.

DiscoDiva
04-06-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm afraid of becoming paralyzed, and no longer being able to walk. I don't even like to be in the same room as a wheelchair just because of it. I just developed a nice little fear of driving, which has really been fun let me tell you.

After5hock
04-06-2014, 01:35 PM
My phobias are of spiders, being alone in the dark, catching some flesh eating virus, crowds, and I have a bunch of other fears but I wouldn't necessarily call them phobias. I don't likely be alone, or driving, or long car trips, losing my mind, being admitted, and so on and so forth.

Kabukicho
04-07-2014, 09:47 AM
In terms of broad-stroke, existential phobias: Insanity and death.

In terms of acute phobias, flying and earthquakes. Just great for someone who travels between the U.S. and Japan quite often for work / leisure. Oh well, everyone has their own problems, I suppose. Mine are just a little bit more harsh than others. I hate anxiety.

LaLa-Land
04-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Mine is: elevators, flying, freeway driving, going crazy, being institutionalized, and death. With that comes a new one, the passing of time.

Felle
05-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Mine is emetophobia, fear of vomit/vomiting.

aranson
06-09-2014, 06:09 AM
I used to be scared of soooooo many things but now that I have my anxiety under control the fear of these things had pretty much gone. Most of the things that freaked me out were when I was in situations I couldn't readily escape from. Like MotherofTwo I was so scared of being stuck in a traffic jam, even being stopped at red lights scared me, along with being on motorways so I would either not go places or go really out of the way routes at quiet times to avoid motorways, jams etc. I stopped going to hairdressers as well and managed to get a girl who would come to the house and even then it was hard! I would always make sure I was close to home and never go to far away as home was my safe place. I stopped going to the cinema, restaurants, theatre as I was worried I would have to suddenly get up and leave due to my anxiety. The list is almost endless! I also went through a phase of being terrified when i heard a plane overhead as I was convinced it was going to crash. I wouldn't go out in bad weather or if it was too hot etc etc.
Basically anxiety limited absolutely everything I did but luckily I have only had 3 or 4 bad episodes in my life but they did leave me off work for months at a time. After my most recent bout I finally feel that I have a handle on things and am living a "normal" life again thanks to a wonderful psychotherapist and beta blockers!

I too suffer from anxiety, I am afraid of stopping at stop lights. I am afraid of driving out of my way because I experience shortness of breath, dizziness and heart palpitations. I am afraid that i will pass out while driving. This is ruining my life. I will not drive on interstates. Can someone please help.

superchick22684
06-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I have a lot of phobias so I'll try to think of what I can off the top of my head. Fear of needles, spiders, fear of being trapped in a crowded place, feet, a touch of emetophobia, germs, blood (large amounts of it), public speaking, darkness,bridges. That's off the top of my head, there's probably more though. I'm in the process of working on fear of height and flying which I've worked on recently by going on a plane and going up 100 feet in the air in the bucket of a firetruck.

aranson
06-09-2014, 12:47 PM
I have a lot of phobias so I'll try to think of what I can off the top of my head. Fear of needles, spiders, fear of being trapped in a crowded place, feet, a touch of emetophobia, germs, blood (large amounts of it), public speaking, darkness,bridges. That's off the top of my head, there's probably more though. I'm in the process of working on fear of height and flying which I've worked on recently by going on a plane and going up 100 feet in the air in the bucket of a firetruck.

I just started getting worse recently. I feel out of control. The weird thing is I am not afraid to fly. I just got back from a trip to boston. I am afraid of rollercoasters and deep water. I am happy for you for making such progress.

Aloneandhandsome
06-15-2014, 09:45 PM
I've got my own saying for my phobia..heat claustrophobia..im heat intolerant so when I get hot I get the feeling of claustrophobia like I need to escape and if panic sets in I get even hotter and its a nightmare. Hot Summer days are not my friend..I constantly check the weather during summer praying for no heat waves and power outages during it.
I lock myself in the AC if its above 80s. Luckily only 3 hot months where I live.

It can even be triggered in winter going from cold outdoors to a place very warm inside.

And forget about getting sick and fevers..not fun.

But somehow I find a way to soldier on without a spec of my character or sanity removed.

pharmacharak
07-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Hello,
My phobia is I hate crowded place and to be there with strangers and co-operate with them....

Kixxi
07-02-2014, 12:53 AM

I really don't know where to begin lol. Although I am recovering, these are the things that usually set me off or still set me off:

- Fainting
- Imperfection
- People not liking me
- People thinking I'm ugly or fat
- Dying
- Anywhere outside the home that I'm not familiar with
- Heart attack
- Cancer
- Hospitals
- Doctors
- Blood (brr even the word gives me a little shiver)

Well that is a short list. There are more things such as smells etc. I'm just an over-sensitive car alarm I suppose.

Weyoun
07-27-2014, 06:30 PM
-Wasps and bees
-Driving in unfamiliar locations
-Public speaking
-Crowds

kimin661
09-04-2014, 10:11 PM
So...SO MANY... Here we go:

-Emetophobia....My worst, absolute worst.
-Spiders
-Roaches
-Earthquakes
-Public Speaking
-Large Crowds
-Cancer
-Hospitals
-Doctor offices
-Target (so silly but I think I caught a stomach virus from there last year)
-The month of December (the month our whole family got a stomach virus last year)
-Death

Bergen
09-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Earthquakes? Haha I was thinking of getting my graduate degree in geophysics and going into seismology.

My biggest fear is anything that lives in the water. As far back as I can remember, I hate swimming anywhere there is aquatic life. Even swimming pools give me anxiety because I might see a shadow and it reminds me of an animal. I can't find a specific name for this. Ichthyophobia, the fear of fish, is the closest I've come, but it goes beyond fish to things like reptiles. I definitely think my fears are most directed toward sharks (galeophobia), aquatic snakes (especially anacondas), and crocodiles. However, even I couldn't even bring myself to go in a friends pond because they put goldfish in there.
I'm also afraid of:
-Dentophobia - the dentist
-Spending money
-Getting older - I think this stems from the fact all the people I know in my family were pretty much disabled by 50.
-The locker room at the gym is also really anxiety provoking
-Maieusiophobia- Fear of childbirth. I didn't know this was a thing, but if it is, I definitely have it. I can't stand it when it's on TV or anyone talks about it. I don't get why women think it's beautiful.

Sedigive
09-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Job loss. My spouse is unemployed and I can't stand the thought of loosing mine. Dwelling on it actually causes panic attacks.

Bergen
09-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Job loss. My spouse is unemployed and I can't stand the thought of loosing mine. Dwelling on it actually causes panic attacks.

I know what you mean. I was the only in my house working for a year, and without that job, we'd have had nothing. The management was really bad too, and my supervisors were awful. I worked on a roller coaster, and there was a red button that stopped the ride. I accidentally hit it 3 times, and I started to have nightmares. I thought I was going to get fired any day.

Anra
09-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Graveyards. Even the thought of going anywhere near one makes me feel anxious!

Just the whole thing of there's dead people underneath the ground... -shudder-

sadclownbadsummer
09-08-2014, 08:17 PM
I don't know if there are names for some of these:
Mostly the one that keeps me inside is the fear of being followed. Whenever I pass people while I'm out, I feel like they're going to turn around and stalk me wherever I'm going.
Fear of bugs. Roaches/anything that flies makes me panic.
Fear of talking on the phone. I don't answer when anyone calls unless it's my mom, and if I have to call someone/somewhere it takes weeks to get the courage. My anxiety after hanging up is so bad sometimes (Did I say everything right? Did I come off rudely? What if they talk about me when they hang up?)
Fear of heart attacks. Sometimes I get so afraid of my heart stopping that even just thinking about eating something will cause my throat to feel like it's closed and my left arm to feel numb/in pain.

1Bluerose68
10-11-2014, 05:01 PM
My phobias don't all have names??? :

I fear going to work and having a button pop off the mid of my blouse.

I fear getting a blister on my heal while at work.

I fear having to be near insects that i don't like, but must for work reasons. Ie , the football field is near many insect filled bushes.

I fear Not having Total control of issues like :

A. My Weight

B. Not being able to stop EATING w/in a certain amount of time.

C. Not being able to wake up from a Scary or Terrible Nightmare.

D. Someone walking in on me as I am making a PIG out of myself, in private. (Ironic ha).

E. Not being able to stop perspiring while at work.

F. Not being able to control the heat in the room, and it gets way too stuffy.

I am sure I have more phobias than this even.....................

1Bluerose68

1Bluerose68
10-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Well, perhaps it's a sensible fear, and it means that you have 2 choices: either live w/in boundaries where the interstate is NOT required driving, or hire a chauffeur.....In some people's cases, they marry their future chauffeur, and that person does the car driving, and the other person may specialize in some other area of their commitment to each other.

1Bluerose68
10-13-2014, 07:03 PM
My phobia, 1 Columbiana just Discovered!!!i s the Fear of being Framed, Framed for a Crime I haven't Committed(YET!!!).
and then forced to reside under a friggen Bridge w/o a pot to piss in!!! Therefore forcing me to seek asylum somewhere other than here, ANYWHERE ELSE, i suppose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

I am just sick and tired of maggots, and spiders, and snakes and evil gum tooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

1Bluerose68
10-13-2014, 07:04 PM
I am afraid of NOT having ANY Kontrol over my existence as it is at a minimal description ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1Bluerose68
10-13-2014, 07:09 PM
I am friggen terrified of Sh-- Disturbers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny, you NEVER hear of gangsters going in and shooting up any of these places that make the news. Itz always some straight laced guy from Virginia who doesn't quite fit in , or some disgruntled kid who's boiled the tea kettle for his Aunt Ophelia for a few too many years. Well, i'm NOT 1 of those, but the difference is that I am an actress. I wear ,"Many Hats too." I am a "Survivor." I have had to smile when i really wanted to turn Nellie Olsen into royal pesto sauce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1Bluerose68
10-13-2014, 09:59 PM
So is that like a spanking in the buttocks from my Ice Skating Coach??? Gee thanks, I soooo needed that .....Permanent about face adjustment with the ice rink floor.....

Im-Suffering
10-13-2014, 10:18 PM
So is that like a spanking in the buttocks from my Ice Skating Coach??? Gee thanks, I soooo needed that .....Permanent about face adjustment with the ice rink

You got screwed, you got the raw deal in life. It's ok to be angry.

So what's next?

1Bluerose68
10-13-2014, 11:15 PM
No, not screwed, nothing ever Happened to me whenever i ever have become injured. no cares about my outcome. Whether it was physical injury or mental injury, no 1 ever cared. I'm NOT screwed I'm just way tight about ever getting framed, as it has happened before at the height of my coming of Innocence in girlhood and Christianity/Catholicism......This girl taught me to play tag. Then ran and ran and I screamed STOP. No she failed to LISTEN to ME. She instead chose to bash both her wrists through a glass door at my school when i was a 7 y/o girl. Then I witnessed her bleed severly from her wrists, no horror flik, The Real Thing.....!!!Then we ran for help. They, the 2 gals i was with, went home to their duplex. I followed out of curiosity. I blacked out and never recalled what ever happened Next. I have nightmares of huge syringes in the house where they ran to, only being admin to me. I wasn't the girl bleeding though, so why would they do that to me. I did NOT recall this memory for 24 years until I touched red satin and painted with red finger paints as a 31 y/o lady being artsy out of boredom, and it ALL came flooding back in a dream, (trauma memories). My parents never supported me in therapy, or the Catholic school where this tragedy occurred when i was age 7. No one cared about my fragile childhood ego. They just covered up the entire fiasco and my family moved to an entirely new city and sports and studies took over my life. Thats it, not screwed, freed of any memories at all, until my mind opened up to a gush of flowing trauma memories. That affects now how i feel about being extra scared of people trying to make me look like the black sheep or frame me, all through my short life. Short necked life so far???

Ryker
10-23-2014, 03:17 AM
Here's a good one for you - I have two phobias that I don't think even have names.

Corners

Folded (cloth) material

Go figure!

phrasing
10-24-2014, 05:30 PM
emetophobia

1Bluerose68
10-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Germs,germs,germs......The Papa-Ratzi.....being taped on You Tube w/o knowing it....being in crowded places....Going on BART somewhere alone,anywhere alone actually is bad.....Driving somewhere new for the 1st time.....and darn job interviews, over and over,again and again.....Thatz about all I spose???

1Bluerose68
11-25-2014, 07:20 PM
See, I told ya so,.....Eboli Ha Ha.....Cha Cha Cha...

1Bluerose68
12-02-2014, 10:33 AM
The new cars are very technical and look intimidating to understand ALL the new features, which are supposed to improve the experience of the driver. But to me all these very new developments in the front area where we would before just check our fuel, rate of speed, and total miles traveled. Now there are so many features, its like walking into a classroom wall papered with so many charts of basic rules and standard things to know that one is overwhelmed by all this ,"Stuff." I really need to purchase a newer car but feel intimidated to purchase one over the year 2009? But then I don't want to be stuck with someone else's "Lemon" either, or has so many miles for my buck that it's better to just get a new car. but then again , the type of car I would like no one seems to drive anymore. i don't see to many older models on the road that are in nice condition. Its like ALL or nothing. Their either Gross Polluters or Totally New and over priced too. Thats another fear, Having to pay too much for a car. And having to make, "Car Talk."

mechanickid
12-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Being around people. Going to the gym, the store or going for a walk is terrible. I feel like everyone's staring at me.
Workers at stores getting to know me. I generally have to stop going once they start recognizing me.
Drive thrus and telephone calls used to bother me, now I don't care.
I force myself to do all this stuff but I still fear it.

khernández99
12-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Emetophobia
Harpaxophobia

courtneykay
12-08-2014, 12:03 AM
I have horrible emetophobia. I thought I had it under control, but it's getting bad again.

Surfside
02-25-2015, 11:13 AM
Its a combo of social phobia (I've always had), and the agoraphobia now. For years I didn't want to admit it to myself, but there is denying it now, Its taken control of my life. I used to always go out at least once a day (even just to do something mundane), but over the last year, I've come up with the excuses for not needed a reason to go out. I always say, its too cold / too dark / too sunny LOL....:)

I don't know if this is something that can be treated now since I've allowed it to get this out of control, but I'm hoping something will change, because I find myself not leaving the house now for weeks.

Not good since I was once "chipper fella" with a real life besides the pretend one in my head.

ShaunAlex
07-31-2015, 08:44 AM
Health - mainly related to heart and cancers. Is that a thing with a name?

superchick22684
07-31-2015, 12:00 PM
Health - mainly related to heart and cancers. Is that a thing with a name?

Health Anxiety.

Srdjan Vujicic
03-24-2016, 03:26 AM
my biggest phobia is to faint infront of people in public. My biggest fear and only, i don't know why, but thats my fear.

Two One
04-03-2016, 12:53 PM
Emetophobia.

DarthGeorge
09-18-2016, 09:11 PM
Being stuck in traffic, driving long distances, worrying that my tight throat feedings will make me stop breathing, riding passenger with someone in a car (the feeling of no control). Ugh...lol

gypsylee
09-18-2016, 10:12 PM
I have to drive up to the city later to go to a show. By myself. I am soooo nervous!!

Ponder
09-19-2016, 12:52 AM
Actually going to the hospital to have an operation for a problem that really exists.

I hope the show turns out to be enjoyable gypsy. ;)

Kirk
10-10-2016, 07:02 AM
Health related anxiety.

Kirk
10-10-2016, 07:03 AM
The big 3 as I call them, heart attack, stroke and cancer, not necessarily in that order.

xUnknown
10-10-2016, 12:00 PM
I had so many new fears when I first had anxiety, but I'll say the main ones:
Hypochondria (health anxiety),
fear of my parents dying,
fear of myself dying,
fear of never recovering from anxiety
and fear of natural disasters.

Justaspekt
10-10-2016, 02:45 PM
My fears make no sense.
I do have average ones like a pet dying, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. I'm scared of my thoughts, scared of the future, scared of uncertainty, scared of my family (long story) and terrified of work and bosses.
The less average thing that I still don't understand but have noticed since 2012 is I can also get scared of specific people, places, shows, movies, books, websites, etc etc. None of which are inherently scary.

Zena
10-10-2016, 08:32 PM
too many smh...crowds, driving, flying insects, dogs, heights, needles, drowning, nightmares, cancer, being shot, and so on and so on and so on

derp
10-12-2016, 10:49 AM
Ooh, a fun topic for me! I used to have a mild fear of heights and that was it. Since I started having panic attacks, I am now afraid of being stuck in traffic, leaving my 'safety bubble', agoraphobic to the point of having a fear of being outdoors, a fear of being sucked out into space (absolutely ridiculous I know), a fear of sliding off of the side of the earth (because that's totally how gravity works, right?), a fear of space, a fear of death, fear of how fragile our earth is, fear of flying, a fear of going bonkers and tearing out my own eyes (hooray for intrusive thoughts!), fear of my mom dying, and a fear that this will never go away and that in spite of my ambitions, I will be locked into doing nothing with my life for fear of having to go outside to actually meet these ambitions.

Spider666
01-31-2017, 04:29 AM
Biggest phobia: Public speaking. No doubt.

The Intolerable Kid
01-31-2017, 06:08 AM
Other than people themselves, heights.

DizzyPixie
01-31-2017, 04:30 PM
Death
Open spaces
Sometimes, certain illnesses
Insanity

ClareBear
02-20-2018, 04:45 AM

I have this too. It's the root cause of all of my anxieties.

I avoid public transport, being a car passenger, hairdressers, dentist, manicures, massages, shopping centres, going far from home, being in other people's houses, having people in my house, restaurants, traffic jams, job interviews, holidays .... the list goes on!

Abel101
04-24-2018, 01:18 AM
Simple anxiety.

ToovaCero
12-21-2019, 11:42 PM
Take a full week off... clear your head... then go back to the way you do always have done things, sure tweak things here and there but do not overhaul your process because you had a bad streak you are a good capper

domainer
02-25-2020, 03:22 AM
Water and fir. Both are mine