PDA

View Full Version : going on vacation....need advice

buckeyegirl
09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Afternoon all!!

I am getting ready to go on vacation in 2 days and my anxiety is seriously raised. My husband and I are going up North, in Michigan terms that's into the woods/country. We are going with 5 couples and there is no phone/internet service where we will be, completely isolated, hours from anywhere. I am freaking out. To top it off it will be my first time around smokers since quitting. My husband is really looking forward to this. He has been waiting to go trail riding all year. I do not want to go but do not want to upset my hubby. This is his only vacation this year. How can I keep my anxiety in check? It will be good to just get a way and relax but gosh its scary. I'll be so far from my doc etc. I really don't want to have an attack in the woods. Any advice or encouragement is greatly appreciated!!!

annalea(:
09-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Think about it this way, being isolated could help :D
If you have a panic attack in the middle of the woods, it gives you the chance to accept it and face the anxiety!
It might very well be much better to be away from your doctor because that allows you to run away from your anxiety, to get rid of it, stand up to it!!
I would say though take things that calm you down and relax you, could be something that reminds you of home. Also, get your hubby to give you massages, talk to you, distract you and take your mind off of it :)
I really hope this has helped in someway, just remember if you feel panicky, breath and relax is all ok! :)
AnnaLea
Xxx

buckeyegirl
09-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Thank you for your reply. I am really hoping that being in the middle of nowhere will give me no excuse but to face it. It's just scary to think of. I am pretty terrified.

annalea(:
09-10-2012, 03:21 PM
I can understand why your scared about it but just breath! :)
The most important thing to calming down in breathing :) Just breath out more than you breath in, this regulates heart beat and if you focus on the breathing your anxiety will fade fairly quickly :)
You CAN do this!!
AnnaLea
Xxx

buckeyegirl
09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Thank you so much!!!!!!

dazza
09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Sounds great to me!

Ensure you have a truck load of beer, anti anxiety pills, antacid pills, a guitar, some firelighters, Marsh-mellows, Sausages, John Denver CD's (take me HOME country road....) and you'll be just fine & frickin' dandy missus.

In fact you'll probably love it.

Your life, your holiday, your entitlement to enjoy it... now slap them thighs and smile girl!

buckeyegirl
09-11-2012, 05:11 AM
You guys are great!!! Thanks.

sixinchheels
09-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Just take things one thing at a time. Whenever I start to panic its usually because I'm thinking about 10 things all at once. So I just take a moment to breathe and focus on one thing. Telling you husband will also help. For example, since he knows the smoking could trigger an attack he might suggest you guys go walking for a while. Breathe in that fresh and try to relax. Think of all the good things going on at the moment and not on the things that could go wrong.

buckeyegirl
09-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Thank you!!! I am feeling much more relaxed about it all. My major trigger is health anxiety and I am hoping it will be ok.