PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy with anxiety meds

emb7778
09-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi all!

I am new here and have been dealing with panic disorder all my life. I am wondering what meds you have taken while pregnant and dose?!

I was just taken off my Effexor and put on Prozac 20mg. ( to prepare to get pregnant ) I think I am having some severe withdrawls from the Effexor. I am extremely anxious and having panic attacks. I see my doctor tomorrow, hopefully I will feel better very soon.

TheWhiteRabbit
09-09-2012, 04:36 PM
I have not been pregnant yet, but I am wanting to. I have been on Prozac for months and recently cut my dose back to 10 mg. I am unsure as to stop it or not because I don't want to feel how I felt off of it. :-( I have a friend that took lexapro while she was pregnant and everything was fine. I am still indecisive as to wether or not I should.

Would love to hear others advice too!

emb7778
09-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for adding! I hope we can get some insight here:)

winnwinn
09-09-2012, 09:08 PM
I took Buspar 10mg & 20mg when I was pregnant. It takes being on it a while to get any kind of effect, but it does help, you will just need to give it time. Good luck!

dazza
09-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Trouble is, if anything DOES go wrong then you will most likely blame the medication... and ultimately, yourself.

They are now suggesting that pregant women should not drink AT ALL, let alone get merry.
If this is the case, then I can't imagine anti-anxiety meds are gonna be any less frowned upon during pregnancy.

I would recommend NOT taking meds and try to seek natural calming measures, such as baths, walks, breathing exercises and
so on.

I have read somewhere that pregant women should not drink Chamomile tea (often recommended for calming)

Pregnancy vitams are recommended, as are yoghurts (esp. bio which help fight bad bacteria in your lower regions) and of course
lots of fruit & veg.

emb7778
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks, but I am under the supervision of a doctor and am very happy with my decision to stay on meds.

dazza
09-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks, but I am under the supervision of a doctor and am very happy with my decision to stay on meds.

Huh?

How on earth can you be "very happy" to be pumping your system with medication when you host a new, fragile life that is 100% dependend on what you consume?

So you may absolutely NEED it and the doc says it's OK but I'd be buggered if I would be "very happy" about it, lol.

Any risk is a risk, none-the-less... but your choice of course.

Buttercup
09-11-2012, 01:34 AM
http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?10694-Medication-free

Above is a link to a post I started about meds and pregnancy- it will hopefully help you.
It's so hard to know what to do in this situation as different people (including doctors) have differing opinions on meds during pregnancy.