PDA

View Full Version : I have GAD, could I also have PTSD? Please read...

AngieBaby77
03-18-2007, 06:15 AM
Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, for which I take 10 mg of Lexapro.

A few weeks ago, I got an brain MRI for weird tingling sensations. The results came back to say 'questionable small unruptured aneurysm'. Of course I freaked out. I was referred to a very good hospital and a very experienced neurosurgeon for consultation.

After the neurosurgeon reviewed the MRI films, he told me that what he was seeing may simply be a normal formation of the blood vessel, and even if it is an aneurysm it is very, very unlilkely to harm me because it is so tiny. He told me to return to my normal life with no more followup needed. (His nurse did say if I wanted to I could get another MRI in five years to ease my mind, which I will do.)

While I was waiting on the consultation I joined a group for people with aneurysms and now a bunch of them are telling me to get a second opinion. The doc I saw has been doing his job since 1977, has won awards, trained countless other docs and seen thousands of cases. I should trust what he says...but why am I still scared?

I am having nightmares about aneurysms and I can't seem to go back to my life before all this. Why can't I just stop worrying about it? He told me to, and even other docs who saw my results told me to.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Angela

Chelsea
03-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I think getting a second opinion regarding medical issues is always a good idea. I would go for the 2nd opinion.