PDA

View Full Version : Do you fear for your health ?

Sassy Girl
09-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I've had anxiety and depression for nearly 20 years. I thought they had gone.

Just over a month ago I developed high blood pressure. I am taking Minax for it but it's not yet perfect. I have a terror (I call it that as it's worse than a phobia) of taking medication that I've never tried before (my sister died 20 years ago from medical negligence so that is where my fear stems from). My GP wants me to go onto a different medication even though I am only on 25 mg x 2 a day of Minax. Last night (actually about 1.30 am this morning) the diastolic figure from my blood pressure was 134. I've been told by a nurse that if it goes over 120 to call an ambulance. I didn't call one as I didn't want to look like an idiot and waste their time.

Does anyone else have a fear for their health ?

Does anyone have high blood pressure caused by constantly worrying about their health ?

How do you get your blood pressure under control via relaxation ? Not only do I have a terror of medication I also have a terror of supplements unless I have tried them before.

I have many other questions but can't remember them at the moment

j2005
09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
What was your systolic? Have you taken in lately? I have a few exercises that will lower your BP naturally. I'll message you.

James

Sassy Girl
09-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks James, Blood Pressure was 160 over 134 pulse 108.

trinidiva
09-03-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm not trying to make you nervous, but honestly, that BP reading is rather high.....I take meds for BP as well, my BP was around 180/120 after I had a csection and they would not discharge me from the hospital until it dropped to a reasonable level. Now, most 4 yrs later, I am still taking a small amt of BP meds.....a diuretic called Hydroclorothiazide. It's helped to keep my bp at a normal level.

lisadu
09-03-2012, 07:42 PM
My blood pressure has been higher than that on occasion. I use a relaxation technique called mindfulness, which, if I can concentrate, will take my BP to normal within a few minutes. There are several videos that can be found on you tube or your local library may have some dvd's explaining the technique.

Enduronman
09-03-2012, 08:44 PM
no friend,..I do not. What is my fear?..Honestly,..I can not think of one at the moment.. I did try however!! A for effort!!!

E-Man..

Sassy Girl
09-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Thank you for replying. I saw my GP today, he's suggested I go on Amlodipine as well as the Minax. Knowing that I have a terror of taking new medication he suggested that I begin taking the medication while in his waiting room just in case I have a reaction. I am still wary about taking it but at least I know that he understands my fear and has offered me the option. He's the first doctor in nearly 20 years that has actually understood my fear of taking medication. I just want to feel normal (no anxiety or fear) again.

The Mindfulness technique looks interesting. Is it easy to do when in the middle of a bad panic attack or very anxious ?

ilda1
09-09-2012, 08:46 AM
I used to fear for my health because I thought I had a brain tumor but then I realized i was being a drama queen im 16 btw and I eat junk food all day every day. I fear more for car accidents and stuff like that its soooo scary in my opinion

AceParadox
09-09-2012, 10:29 AM
I am a... what's it called.. bit of a hypochondriac. I think I'm getting sick a lot, when it's really just anxiety or something I ate. So I've learned to deal with it and not let it get to me and win. But I also have high BP but it's likely because of my caffiene addiction xD

trinidiva
09-10-2012, 07:32 PM
I bought a really good mindfulness workbook on Amazon. It's called " The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety". Im not finished with it yet, but so far, its pretty good.