PDA

View Full Version : My first panic attack

bambi100
09-03-2012, 11:34 AM
So last night i woke up with a numb arm, and then i got really hot my chest hurt i couldn't breathe properly and was extremely dizzy due to the numb arm i thought it was a stroke! So i rang the ambulance, when they came i wasn't as bad and they told me i was having a panic attack. Is waking up with numbness a sign of anxiety? Its a tough one because that a major symptom of a stoke right?

I have suffered from stress and anxiety for a while now, i am only 20 i am mainly stressed due to eating disorders i went from being 90lb at 5"6 to nearly 200lb in recovery i have lost some of that now so i am worried that if i go on anti-depressants that it will make me gain weight, as this is the main cause of my anxiety i don't think this is a good idea.

The paramedics left without really giving me any advice on coping with this... so does anyone have any tips of calming myself down? And activities that may help? Or foods etc..just any advice would be great :)

Sedigive
09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I am sorry to read about your attack. All though numbness isn't an issue I have had. I know the other feelings. I am unfortunately very friendly with the EMS. You mentioned the EMS examining you but have you gotten the all clear from your DR that there are no actual physical causes, i.e. high BP, etc..? Going back to what I wrote earlier if it is confirmed by your DR to be anxiety then except it. Remind yourself over and over if required during an attack that anxiety is all it is. I also pray. In addition, I try to distract myself as much as possible. Reading and interacting on this forum also helps me. If you also suffer from acid reflux/GERD (like I do) reduce trigger foods like caffeine, grease, eating too much, alcohol - basically try to eat clean. Mild exercise about 30 min a day helps burn off some tension without raising your heart rate too much. Take care.