PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive bad thoughts

Ser9er
08-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Do any of you suffer from having obsessive bad thoughts which perpetuate your anxiety? I do. When I feel anxious they come up a lot and only keep the cycle going. It's like my mind thinks of something and assumes the worst possible outcome is secretly the truth and the anxiety makes it impossible to reason otherwise. For example, "what's the point of living?" My mind says, "oh god, there isn't a point, life is miserable and there's no reason to carry on." However when I'm not anxious I can think about this question and not be bothered by it. As a matter of fact I can explore it deeply and even though I may not have a concrete answer that's ok with me. Another would be, "I wish this anxious feeling would go away." My mind says, "oh no, I'm going to feel this way forever." Even though it ebbs and flows and I have pretty much beaten it before. Also, if this is something that you think affects you, there's a great book to read called "Imp of the Mind." I read it and it really helps. Anyone with thoughts or advice?

1Laticia
08-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Omg I have the same thing, like my mind is obsessive with thoughts if death and stuff, it drives me nuts, like Everytime I hear anything that has to do with death I go into panic. My mind always think the worst!

duqgrad
08-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the club! This is why I started to see a therapist. It got to the point for me where the worrying lead to frustration and anger. It really sucks most of the time. If you have not done so find a good therapist and commit to working on your issue.

Matt C
08-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Hey Ser9er ,

I used to get this alot... in fact I still do get the odd thought like that... the only difference is now I more often than not find them funny, and pay them very little interest other than a giggle.

You see you have to remember that these thoughts are a very small part of what we are. They are thoughts, and thoughts come and go.

If you learn to step out of thought and feeling, by developing an overall body awareness. Also if you develop a regular practice of gratitude... These things won't seem so important anymore. When you are deeply grounded in body awareness feelings and thoughts aren't so overwhelming, in fact they are sometimes quite amusing. You see them appear and it's like "Ah, that's interesting"... and you have the space to let them be.

The way I became healed was not by fighting thoughts in to submission, but instead by a) reconditioning my point of view with affirmations and gratitude, and b) transcending thought and feeling by grounding and deepening my awareness (this included still and moving practices like meditation, and taji/qigong/yoga... this is why many people with anxiety benefit from exercise, it gets them out of their head... it's also why many anxious people crave sex... it's only a distraction from being caught up in thought and feeling identification)

Man this is the one of the most important lessons I think we humans can learn. Welcome to the college of wake up calls. The universe is calling you to wake up out of thought identification, and in to recognition of your true nature. And trust me, it's well worth doing. :) I'm happier and more confident now than I ever was before I had severe agrophobia, panic attacks, GAD, and psychosis... If I can do it, I know you can too. :)

Much love, best of luck my friend.