PDA

View Full Version : My palpitations described. Anyone else?

willstar
08-27-2012, 06:00 PM
After a week or so of feeling really good (compared to of late) i have just had some chronic palpitations.

My doctor has tried to get me to explain what they feel like, because they are yet to catch them on an ECG or Halter monitor.
In the past i have described them as a bubble in my chest, or something flipping, turning, etc.

Today, i was feeling calm and just working away at my computer, then when they hit, i really thought about what they feel like.
It feels like i have a few long heart beats that go backwards.

Like this:
boom boom boom boom moooooooooob boom boom boom boom mooooooooob boom boom boom

And then, of course, i panic and my pulse goes up to around 120bpm and i get dizzy. Not sure if the palps make me dizzy, or the panic. Chicken or the egg?

Does anyone else have these palpitations? It seems everyone describes them differently, from a racing heart beat, to missed or skipped heart beats, but does anyone else have the strange beats in between?
Every night when i go to bed, regardless of being relaxed or wound up, my heart beat is so strong that i can feel it rocking the bed.

daisy84279
08-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I also have heart palpatations, even when I'm not nervous about anything. Mine feel like my heart beats 3 times as fast, but just for a second. It's like it did a flip or something. It usually only happens a couple of times during an attack. It takes my breath away too

dazza
08-28-2012, 01:01 AM
PLEASE read this...

http://heart4pvc.webs.com/letterfrommd.htm

jhunter89
08-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Palpitations are a BITCH. Try to ignore it, they'll go away eventually.

Buttercup
08-28-2012, 01:24 AM
When it gets too bad for me i cheat and take a beta blocker ;)

dazza
08-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Daisy/Willstar

Please read the article I posted above.

Palps are 99.9% guaranteed to be extra-cardiac (an external stimulation and nothing to do with the heart itself)

There are many causes, including innapropritate signals from the VAGUS nerve, adrenalin surges, GAS! (YES, GAS can aggitate the heart and/or vagus nerve) and also posture (slumped over or simply lying down - where the anatomical parts around the heart area are partially squashed to close proximity)

They say smoking, caffeine & alcohol can cause it, but they would, wouldn't they. Some people I know who drink heavy, smoke heavy, live on coffee - don't even know what a palp is. So this is not necessarily true but I guess could be relative in some cases.

Coughing or deep breathing / relaxing helps to resume normal rythm.

You may experience a brief, shortness of breath - but this is PURELY your frightened reaction and not a result of the palp itself.

Movinonmom
08-28-2012, 05:21 AM
This article helped me so much I saved it to read when needed. Thank you so much!