PDA

View Full Version : Scared & Anxiety

abel33
08-25-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm starting a new school very soon and I'm really scared. Whenever I think about it my stomach hurts. I'm mostly scared about not having anyone to sit with at lunch and having to go up in front of the class and do something or give a presentation. I have really bad anxiety of talking in front of large groups. I feel like if I have to I'll lock myself up.does anyone have any idea how to make this go away?

NatalieRegina
08-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Something that used to work for me was having what I called a 'trigger' with me all the time. Frozen water bottles, to drink from or put against the inside of my wrists, helped a lot. Some people use those LiveStrong-type bracelets and whenever they feel anxious, they just snap it against that same spot inside the wrist (a major pressure point). Another friend uses Vicks VapoRub to help clear his airways and make him feel refreshed.

You need to try out a few things and see what works for you. As soon as you start to feel anxious, touch, snap, drink or apply whatever it is that seems to help you and you'll be able to start breaking the cycle of racing thoughts and feelings.

teajay
09-02-2012, 08:07 PM
I like the techniques described... water dabbed on my wrists &forhead. I can relate to fear of public speaking...I avoided classes in college that would require oral presentations. I'm a poet and I missed out on some wonderful events opportunities to read. In the last few years a small poetry group has helped me with this. In a safe enviorment I practiced reading.... I've read in several poetry readings and I get nervous but not too afraid to follow through. It a great feeling to be able to do that. Practicing what to say really helped me.

arwa19
09-02-2012, 08:49 PM
When I started a new school I felt scared for like the whole 1st day, after u get use to it you'll be fine.

alankay
09-03-2012, 07:15 AM
Abel, you took a good first step by talking about it. I went through it and so have many others. Anxiety about public speaking is the most common anxiety. I was so anxious about it, it was the last class I took in college(required to graduate) only to find out that the anticipatory anxiety I felt was worse that the anxiety I felt once I actually started my speech!! Most don't need a beta blocker but I did. I do feel the lots of rehearsal and talking on topics that I knew well helped a great deal. Once I got started this anxiety decreased a great deal. Alankay

MainerMikeBrown
10-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Abel, realizing that you're focusing too much on what may go wrong and overlooking the fact that things may go well for you in school is a positive step to take.